Page 2 of 11 [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2014, 1:48 pm

^^^
I actually had never heard of this Ken Hamm character till the other day when he made the idiotic statement that we shouldn't be looking for extraterrestrial life, as they'd all be going to hell anyway. :?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2014, 2:15 pm

khaoz wrote:
Is this the new fundamentalist strategy? To make the heads of non-believers explode from dealing with your blind obstinance

It is quite disheartening that there is so much ignorance about evolution even today. Evolution is a fact, it is true, it has been happening since the first primordial chemicals started duplicating themselves. We know a huge amount about evolution today and how it works and we even use that knowledge in the development of antibiotics and other medicines. Denying evolution today is as ignorant as denying the Earth orbits the Sun.

It is amusing how the ignorant say "theory of" evolution. It started out as a theory by Darwin but we have known for many years that it is indeed fact - but the nay sayers like to attach the "theory of" in an attempt to discredit it. Darwin only had the vaguest notions of how evolution worked, it wasn't until the discovery of DNA and more recent decoding the DNA of humans and many plants and animals that we can actually understand the mechanisms of evolution and indeed the evolutionary history of all living organisms to their ancient ancestors in the so called junk DNA that they still carry. We carry around living fossils of our oldest ancestors and can see the family trees and what organisms evolved from what and which animals have particular ancestors in common.

I think the largest reason for the ignorance about evolution is down to religion. Some religious leaders / proponents try to suppress knowledge about evolution (e.g. imams stopping students learning about it as I mentioned above) or religious fanatics trying to stop evolution being taught in (typically American) schools. Then there are the nut jobs who create websites trying to deny evolution in favour of creation and there are enough people who are ignorant of science to fall for their misinformation and lies.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2014, 2:23 pm

Janissy wrote:
salad wrote:
There's no evidence to disprove evolution not being true thus it's not true.

So many negatives in one sentence. This is nearly unparseable.

Ok. I give up. I can't parse this sentence.

LOL!

I think that he MEANT "there is no evidence that it is true, therefore it is false."

Or he MIGHT have meant that "evolution is not falsifiable, therefore it is not a viable scientific hypothesis". Which might be an interesting point to raise. But the same charge could be leveled at Creationism as well.

But it came out of his pen as "there is no evidence to disprove E not being true thus its not true" which would mean "there is no evidence that evolution is false, therefore evolution is false" which doesnt make any sense.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2014, 3:46 pm

He's making a straw man argument. He's saying that scientists believe evolution because it hasn't been proven false, just like creationists believe in God because no one can prove it false. Therefore science is just as irrational as religion. It's not a good analogy, because not only has evolution not be proven false, it's been proven true.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

30 Jul 2014, 10:49 pm

http://youtu.be/aDaOgu2CQtI

These guys know what's up.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2014, 11:04 pm

Or these guys
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFc3DDTPXXo[/youtube]

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2014, 11:21 pm

You can have religion and evolution together, just take into consideration a god that also evolves and evolves with the universe as it evolves.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

30 Jul 2014, 11:26 pm

Raptor wrote:
Or these guys
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFc3DDTPXXo[/youtube]

Nice.

Really though, seriously. We have people right now that are doing some pritty crazy experiments with DNA. Laws are the only things to keep them from doing more. We have horses that people evolved. They were smaller than a goat. Turned dogs into nothing more than a crap toy that can't live in the wild for more than a week without getting killed by a bald eagle. Cats too. All of which domesticated, and evolved from humans. Neanderthals gone. Evolved. Interbred into a different species. New stuff going on here and there. Small amounts, but noticable. The ways and the means are probably wrong, but it exists none the less.

I dunno why I waste time on this. Soo unimportant to tell. Look at your family tree, that should give it away right there. Your momma was a -------------. :lol:

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 12:59 am

AspergianMutantt wrote:
You can have religion and evolution together, just take into consideration a god that also evolves and evolves with the universe as it evolves.

God, the Scientist, is another possibility.

http://www.godthescientist.org/

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 1:03 am

Humanaut wrote:
AspergianMutantt wrote:

God, the Scientist, is another possibility.

http://www.godthescientist.org/

Well, the concept is pretty simple, if god is all things, then it only strands to reason that as the universe evolves so does god.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 1:40 am

If God = Universe then true, but some believe God is an additional entity.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 2:56 am

The existence of evolution is a scientific fact; the mechanisms, ie. how things happen in evolution, are set of theories (which are too strongly supported by tons of evidences).

You simply don't know what evolution is, you remind me of a muslim girl who once told me "how comes my grand grandfather wasn't a dinosaur?". This only means you don't understand even the very fundamentals of evolution, it is not like a pokemon game where you can suddenly evolve a fish to a dragon.

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 31 Jul 2014, 4:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 3:03 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
The existence of evolution is a scientific fact; the mechanisms, ie. how things happen in evolution, are set of theories (which are too strongly supported by tons of evidences).

Exactly; it is ridiculous that today there are evolution deniers. Especially as we are now unravelling our DNA ancestry and that of other animals and plants. This clearly shows what animals have common ancestors e.g. humans and chimpanzees share a close common ancestor... heck it is giving us information to compile the entire family tree of every species of animal and plant in existence! This is a much more powerful guide to our evolutionary past than the fossil record.

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 3:48 am

Yes, as TallyMan rightly points out, the genetic evidence for evolution is strongest of all. Even if we had never found any fossils, none at all, once we discovered DNA and started comparing the DNA of different species we would have discovered evolution happens.

I am amazed and saddened by the consistently high poll numbers of those who deny the reality of evolution. It is amazing that in 21st century America so many people can be so misinformed about this. It is just as insane and just as ridiculous as if half the people in this country seriously believed the earth is flat in spite of all evidence to the contrary. IT IS THAT STUPID!

Granted, part of those high poll numbers may be the result of how the poll questions are phrased. Several polls I have seen phrase the questions and possible answers so poorly that people who aren't sure will choose answers that make the population of the USA look stupider than it actually is.

The good news is that as we learn more and more about the mechanisms and history of evolution sooner or later this information will trickle down to the public and more and more people will realize how much they have been LIED to by some religious sources about this subject. I know I don't like being lied to, and I think most other humans also don't appreciate being lied to. Certain churches are going to lose a lot of members in the future unless they man up and admit they were wrong about this.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 4:05 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromosome_2_(human)

This is only one of the strong genetic evidences.

So tell me salad, why God has created Chromosome 2 in humans to look as if they were two chromosomes, like how other high primates have?

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 31 Jul 2014, 4:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 4:06 am

TheBicyclingGuitarist wrote:
Certain churches are going to lose a lot of members in the future unless they man up and admit they were wrong about this.

Most have already moved the goalposts by accepting theistic evolution.

Some numbers: