Page 6 of 11 [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 6:36 am

naturalplastic wrote:
First of all: who says scientist dismiss the idea of alien's seeding life? They consider it-but find it wanting .

My original post of the Prometheus premise was attacked as "ridiculous".

However, I find this ..

Evolution Is Deterministic, Not Random, Biologists Conclude From Multi-species Study
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 123929.htm

naturalplastic wrote:
-for a number of obvious reasons for starters (aliens are an unknown, and if they exist- then how did THEY originate? From evolution? From OTHER aliens? And why would aliens start a project that would take four billion years to complete? and- there is the little problem of :there isnt a shred of evidence to support this alien preprograming idea)

There is no way to know our creator's intention. We have to watch Prometheus 2 to find out :)

naturalplastic wrote:
Second - so you're saying that if I refuse to entertain the idea that the Moon is made of cotten candy -and that smurfs are at work faking the evidence to make it appear to be made of rock- then my refusal to entertain the idea is an act of religious faith? Isnt that backwards?

I accept I don't know what the Moon is made of, though, I doubt it is made of cotton candy. I never said anyone "is faking evidence". Not sure where you are going with this. I am not saying what you should believe. I only commented about the premise of Prometheus of "engineer" aliens and their deterministic evolution.

naturalplastic wrote:
Wouldnt believing in this smurf theory (against all evidence- just like your demand that scientist take the premise of that movie seriously-which would be against all evidence) be faith of a religious type?

I don't demand anyone take it seriously. The premise was attacked, so I participated in finding out why, since no clear reasoning was provided.

naturalplastic wrote:
And in those numbers above - you're admittting that evolution has by far the most evidence supporting it. So if you essentially accept evolution why do you fault scientists for accepting it?

As I stated much earlier, on the second post, the premise of Prometheus is evolution. It is just pre-determined evolution. Through the whole thread, people said it was wrong, but no reasoning was put forth.

And now we see this ...

Evolution Is Deterministic, Not Random, Biologists Conclude From Multi-species Study

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 6:51 am

Where I am "going with this" is trying to pin down where you are going with your nonsense. Your hollywood theory is like my cotten candy theory-defies all evidence. But you demand folks take it seriously against that evidence- which means you are engaged in religous faith. Not the folks who dismiss your idea (which you yourself ALSO dismiss-but you fault other for dismissing it).

The fact that aliens are not known to exist, and if they were to exist that would be unlikely to launch into a project that takes four billion years to complete makes the idea doubly unlikely. The fact that it is unlikely is why scientists dont adhere to the theory. Whether we can know their intent or not is irrelevent. Given present knowledge-there is no reason to adhere to your theory (which you yourself dont take seriously either).

A hundred years from now Russell Crowe (or whoever the star of this special effects thriller is)may replace darwin-you may be right.
But thats irrelevent. Whats relevent is what we know now about how the universe works. From present evidence- there is no evidence of this hollywood theory of yours (none even in your round worm article). So it takes faith to entertain your Promotheius idea. And it does not take faith to not take an interest in it.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 01 Aug 2014, 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 7:04 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Where I am "going with this" is trying to pin down where you are going with your nonsense. Your hollywood theory is like my cotten candy theory-defies all evidence.

Did you read the scientific research I cited above? You think those scientists and their research are nonsense ?

Their research shows the premise of Prometheus that evolution is deterministic.

naturalplastic wrote:
But you demand folks take it seriously against that evidence- which means you are engaged in religous faith. Not the folks who dismiss your idea (which you yourself ALSO dismiss-but you fault other for dismissing it)

I never demanded anything. I asked penetrating questions, so penetrating that people had to resort to insults.

naturalplastic wrote:
The fact that it is unlikely is why scientists dont adhere to the theory. Whether we can know their intent or not is irrelevent. Given present knowledge-there is no reason to adhere to your theory (which you yourself dont take seriously either). Its not for everyone else on the thread to find faults with your theory. Its for you to find evidence to argue FOR it. You steadfastly refuse to do that. And indeed even admit to finding it unlikely yourself.

Science has a hypothesis that life on Earth originated from "extraterrestrial life". It is called "Panspermia".

"... the hypothesis that life exists throughout the Universe, distributed by meteoroids, asteroids, comets, planetoids, and also by spacecraft, in the form of unintended contamination by microbes".

source,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panspermia

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 7:13 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Science has a hypothesis that life on Earth originated from "extraterrestrial life". It is called "Panspermia".

You might find this of interest:

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/42 ... restrials/

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 7:26 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
As I stated much earlier, on the second post, the premise of Prometheus is evolution. It is just pre-determined evolution. Through the whole thread, people said it was wrong, but no reasoning was put forth.

And now we see this ...

Oh, for the love of Nod. :roll:

From the abstract of the *actual* study:

Kiontke et al. wrote:
BACKGROUND: A surprising amount of developmental variation has been observed for otherwise highly conserved features, a phenomenon known as developmental system drift. Either stochastic processes (e.g., drift and absence of selection-independent constraints) or deterministic processes (e.g., selection or constraints) could be the predominate mechanism for the evolution of such variation. We tested whether evolutionary patterns of change were unbiased or biased, as predicted by the stochastic or deterministic hypotheses, respectively. As a model, we used the nematode vulva, a highly conserved, essential organ, the development of which has been intensively studied in the model systems Caenorhabditis elegans and Pristionchus pacificus.

RESULTS: For 51 rhabditid species, we analyzed more than 40 characteristics of vulva development, including cell fates, fate induction, cell competence, division patterns, morphogenesis, and related aspects of gonad development. We then defined individual characters and plotted their evolution on a phylogeny inferred for 65 species from three nuclear gene sequences. This taxon-dense phylogeny provides for the first time a highly resolved picture of rhabditid evolution and allows the reconstruction of the number and directionality of changes in the vulva development characters. We found an astonishing amount of variation and an even larger number of evolutionary changes, suggesting a high degree of homoplasy (convergences and reversals). Surprisingly, only two characters showed unbiased evolution. Evolution of all other characters was biased.

CONCLUSIONS: We propose that developmental evolution is primarily governed by selection and/or selection-independent constraints, not stochastic processes such as drift in unconstrained phenotypic space.

Kiontke, K., Barrière, A., Kolotuev, I., Podbilewicz, B., Sommer, R., Fitch, D. H., & Félix, M. A. (2007). Trends, stasis, and drift in the evolution of nematode vulva development. Current Biology, 17(22), 1925-1937.

http://www.cell.com/current-biology/pdf ... 2193-8.pdf

This study has absolutely *nothing* to do with the Prometheus claim you keep pushing...

And after 7 pages, this thread has only managed to evolve from "Evolution is false because [Insert religious text here] says so" to "Evolution is false because [Insert Hollywood movie here] says so".

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 7:48 am

GGPViper wrote:
This study has absolutely *nothing* to do with the Prometheus claim you keep pushing...

I am not "pushing" anything. I keep getting asked questions, and pointing out that Prometheus is not inconsistent with science theory that has been presented so far. Others think so, however, apparently.

GGPViper wrote:

I am not a biologist. This does not show cellular deterministic evolution as stated in the headlines on many of the science websites ? It appears what you highlighted does come to the conclusion of cellular determinism. I am sure you realize that "stochastic processes" are random, and so the alternate observation is determinism.

primarily governed by selection and/or selection-independent constraints --> appears to be determinism ?
not stochastic processes such as drift in unconstrained phenotypic space ---> randomness ?

Genetic determinism is the premise of Prometheus.

Last edited by LoveNotHate on 01 Aug 2014, 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 7:59 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Where I am "going with this" is trying to pin down where you are going with your nonsense. Your hollywood theory is like my cotten candy theory-defies all evidence.

Did you read the scientific research I cited above? You think those scientists and their research are nonsense ?

Their research shows the premise of Prometheus that evolution is deterministic.

naturalplastic wrote:
But you demand folks take it seriously against that evidence- which means you are engaged in religous faith. Not the folks who dismiss your idea (which you yourself ALSO dismiss-but you fault other for dismissing it)

I never demanded anything. I asked penetrating questions, so penetrating that people had to resort to insults.

naturalplastic wrote:
The fact that it is unlikely is why scientists dont adhere to the theory. Whether we can know their intent or not is irrelevent. Given present knowledge-there is no reason to adhere to your theory (which you yourself dont take seriously either). Its not for everyone else on the thread to find faults with your theory. Its for you to find evidence to argue FOR it. You steadfastly refuse to do that. And indeed even admit to finding it unlikely yourself.

"... the hypothesis that life exists throughout the Universe, distributed by meteoroids, asteroids, comets, planetoids, and also by spacecraft, in the form of unintended contamination by microbes".

source,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panspermia

Im aware of panspermia. Its a notion kicked around by both scientistist and by cranks, but its not an actual 'theory" like evolution that is used as a model for research. And its not the same thing as your aliens pregramming evolution theory anyway. Panspermia is just seeding life in space and letting it do its thing. This preprogramming idea takes it beyond that, but thats another subject.

Lying doesnt help your cause.
Denying that you're demanding to be taken seriously when in fact you ARE demanding to be taken seriously is a lie.

And while we are on the subject: how come you dismiss the idea that the moon is made of cotten candy and inhabited by my little ponies with smurfs faking evidence that its made of rock? Are you disturbed by my "penetrating questions" about your "religious beliefs"?

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Aug 2014, 8:15 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
GGPViper wrote:

I am not "pushing" anything. I keep getting asked questions, and pointing out that Prometheus is not inconsistent with science theory that has been presented so far. Others think so, however, apparently.

That isn't how science works. You need to provide evidence that your claim is correct, not just say "my claim is not inconsistent with what we know". Your claim also isn't supported by what we know, so there's no reason to believe it.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 8:18 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Lying doesnt help your cause.
Denying that you're demanding to be taken seriously when in fact you ARE demanding to be taken seriously is a lie.

I am expecting to be taken seriously, not demanding.

Why can't you say what bothers you about pre-determined evolution as presented in Prometheus? I found the beloved science that shows cellular determinism.

naturalplastic wrote:
And while we are on the subject: how come you dismiss the idea that the moon is made of cotten candy and inhabited by my little ponies with smurfs faking evidence that its made of rock? Are you disturbed by my "penetrating questions" about your "religious beliefs"?

I never dismissed it. I previously admitted that I don't know what the Moon consists of.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 8:19 am

Here is an interesting review of the movie Prometheus.

http://shabogangraffiti.blogspot.com/20 ... round.html

It explains rather well how this thread about evolution suddenly found itself talking about panspermia.

Quote:
In Prometheus, just as in Christian mythology, we are banished by our creators to wander alone, even as everything that we are comes from them/Him. But Prometheus not only reiterates this mythology, it also does that other quintessential job of SF: it ponders the autonomous (alienated and fetishized) product.

It's no shock that SF continually tells stories which reiterate Genesis while also thinking about the alienation of humanity from the produce of their labour. Genesis is about the alienation of humanity from nature brought by the rise of agriculture, surplus and class. SF reiterates Genesis because it is the modern cultural genre that most directly addresses the unprecedented alienation brought by capitalism, modernity, industry and technology. Genesis is about the relationship between humanity and nature, altered by tools. SF is about the constantly changing and decaying and threatening relationship between humanity and the tools themselves as they careen out of our control.

The movie tells us nothing about how life may have come to exist on earth. But it tells us a lot about how (agrarian culture) humans tend to think about the world and the things in it. As biology, it is silly. As sociology, it is rather interesting.

The snip I quoted is from the Gardeners and Engineers chapter of the review. The review unfortunately starts with the "male fear of female reproduction" which starts so many reviews of Ridley Scott movies. But the broader part that I think is relevent to this thread come in at Gardeners and Engineers.

Last edited by Janissy on 01 Aug 2014, 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 8:19 am

The_Walrus wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
GGPViper wrote:

That isn't how science works. You need to provide evidence that your claim is correct, not just say "my claim is not inconsistent with what we know". Your claim also isn't supported by what we know, so there's no reason to believe it.

I cited scientific research above that shows cellular determinism and that is premise of Prometheus.

So, what more is needed ?

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 8:22 am

Janissy wrote:

The movie tells us nothing about how life may have come to exist on earth. But it tells us a lot about how (agrarian culture) humans tend to think about the world and the things in it. As biology, it is silly. As sociology, it is rather interesting.

You apparently never saw the movie. It shows us precisely how life came about. The black goo + xenomorph are the primordial goo in the opening sequence. And it shows how this "primordial goo" formed life. I even showed the picture in my original post.

The alien "xenomorphs" are called "engineers" because they "engineered" humanity from their own DNA. That is why we look like them. They are fantastic genetic engineers.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 8:26 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Janissy wrote:

You apparently never saw the movie. It shows us precisely how life came about. The black goo + xenomorph are the primordial goo in the opening sequence. And it shows how this "primordial goo" formed life. I even showed the picture in my original post.

I did see the movie. And I greatly enjoyed it. But as others have pointed out, "fictional narrative that doesn't require discarding existing evidence" is not at all the same as "what we can infer from the existing evidence".

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 8:29 am

Janissy wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Janissy wrote:

I did see the movie. And I greatly enjoyed it. But as others have pointed out, "fictional narrative that doesn't require discarding existing evidence" is not at all the same as "what we can infer from the existing evidence".

I am not discarding "existing evidence". Actually , I cited research above, that shows the premise of Prometheus of deterministic evolution.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 8:54 am

TallyMan wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
^ I'm done wasting any more time on you. If you really want to learn about evolution you'll do it. In the mean time I'll leave you to your delusions and ignorance. I'm out of this thread. Bye.

You know I am right, so all you can do is insult me.

I am surprised ASD people would use this tactic in argument.

It isn't a tactic, I'm just sick of reading and responding to your BS. Maybe your are right, maybe ET shoved his glowing finger up your ass and you are the next evolutionary leap forward! :lol: Anyway, I've better things to do with my time...

Sounds like the basis for a funny movie script. :D

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 9:24 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
GGPViper wrote:

I am not a biologist. This does not show cellular deterministic evolution as stated in the headlines on many of the science websites ? It appears what you highlighted does come to the conclusion of cellular determinism. I am sure you realize that "stochastic processes" are random, and so the alternate observation is determinism.

primarily governed by selection and/or selection-independent constraints --> appears to be determinism ?
not stochastic processes such as drift in unconstrained phenotypic space ---> randomness ?

Genetic determinism is the premise of Prometheus.

What I highlighted did not come to the conclusion of "cellular determinism", nor "genetic determinism" for that matter. It comes to the conclusion that "developmental evolution is primarily governed by selection and/or selection-independent constraints, not stochastic processes such as drift in unconstrained phenotypic space." (as previously quoted).

And neither of the mechanisms in the study (selection or selection-independent constraints) have anything to do with your Prometheus claim. You apparently haven't the slightest idea of what these two concepts even are.

You are hijacking a scientific study - that you obviously haven't read a single word of - and misrepresenting it as evidence for your silly Hollywood claim using childish word play, sloppy definitions of terms and a non sequitur.

I might as well cite a study demonstrating the natural laws governing the electrical conductivity of clouds as evidence that a man struck by lightning has incurred the wrath of God.