How is atheist morality not Social Darwinism?

Page 3 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2014, 5:11 am

Morality doesn't require religion or law.

Generally, our upbringing combined with our neurotype defines what we see as good or bad.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2014, 5:21 am

trollcatman wrote:
When people talk of objective morality they just mean that the morals came from a higher power and are therefore not up for debate. It does not mean that it somehow proves that the higher power exists. It's just the distinction between man-made morality and given-from-above morality.

Yes but it is a misnomer so therefore can't be compared to objectivity or subjectivity.

It is using a trick of Semitics to make an invalid argument.

It has nothing to do with objectivity or subjectivity, Full stop.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2014, 5:24 am

luanqibazao wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Religious people believe GOD morality is objective morality,

Some religious people choose to abuse language. A statement is held to be objectively true if it corresponds to observable reality. The concept of objectivity is that reality is what it is, independent of anybody's wishes or feelings, and that man is capable of perceiving aspects of reality via the senses. Existence exists; consciousness is conscious.

I was using this type of definition ...

Objective morality is the idea that a certain system of ethics or set of moral judgments is not just true according to a person's subjective opinion, but factually true.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Objective_morality

I think the Ten Commandments are reasonably interpreted as objective, because they supposedly came directly from GOD without human opinion. Even if one disagrees with the story, then at least fictionally they are objective. :)

luanqibazao wrote:
The laws of mathematics and physics are "made up," every bit of them, but that does not imply that they are subjective. Newton didn't say, "I had a vision last night and Zeus told me that f=ma, therefore it must be true." Nor did he rely on his gut feelings, or take a poll of the local peasants. He based his findings on observation and logic, and published his reasoning, so that others could confirm or challenge his conclusions (and eventually ascertain in what contexts they apply and in which they break down). This is objectivity.

This is debated in math.

Some would say that it is still not objectivity, because in your example of F=ma, underlying the formula are mathematical postulates that are human assumptions on how the world works.

A list of mathematical postulates ...
http://www.mathunion.org/ICM/ICM1912.2/ ... 65.ocr.pdf

Also, to note, many "scientific proofs" use the made up concept of infinity that does not exist in the real world.

luanqibazao wrote:
Since the existence of a deity cannot be objectively proven, an ethical system which boils down to 'God wills it' cannot be objective. For an individual to say, "I had a revelation and God told me we should all do X; now let's write it down in a book and all obey God's will" is no different from him saying "I feel in my gut that we should all do X." Not only are such claims subjective, they are arbitrary.

Right , the Ten Commandments were recorded by Moses, and perhaps he did screw up. However, supposedly, he did not insert his opinion into what GOD told him. So that may be a contentious point.

luanqibazao wrote:
But why should this have to be? Since morality is intended as a guide for man's choices and actions in the real world, shouldn't we seek a moral code which is rooted as much as possible in objective reality?

Sure, but "moral code" can be selfishness; it does not have to be cooperative.

luanqibazao wrote:
Shouldn't our choices and actions be likewise grounded in reality?

Sure, but I know someone who has spent about thirty years in and out of prison committing crimes, and thinks the people that are not grounded in reality are the ones who have made-up a morality in which they falsely belief other people give a crap about them.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2014, 9:35 am

Quote:
Yes but it is a misnomer so therefore can't be compared to objectivity or subjectivity.

It is using a trick of Semitics to make an invalid argument.

It has nothing to do with objectivity or subjectivity, Full stop.

I agree with this.

Anyway, the 10 commandments (ignoring all of the crazy laws that follow it) are a mixed bag. Only a couple have anything to do with modern crime and punishment. Several are dealing with the promotion of one religious faction over another. That this particular "deity" and his priests are jealous and have issues with the others in the Canaanite pantheon hardly seems to be a broader moral issue to me. It's one faction of priests looking for self-promotion. This was just another shot in a culture war that lasted for hundreds of years. We can't even know when it was first included or reached it's current form.

And of course there are multiple variants of the ten commandments. Which one are we talking about? I guess you'll have to subjectively pick one.

Quote:
Right , the Ten Commandments were recorded by Moses, and perhaps he did screw up. However, supposedly, he did not insert his opinion into what GOD told him. So that may be a contentious point.

That's something believers believe, yes. But many scholars don't believe that. There is no historical evidence for a Moses, many problems with the Exodus and accounts of "Moses", and the bible is generally believed by critical scholars to have been written much later.

luanqibazao
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2014, 2:41 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Objective morality is the idea that a certain system of ethics or set of moral judgments is not just true according to a person's subjective opinion, but factually true.

Okay ?

Quote:
I think the Ten Commandments are reasonably interpreted as objective, because they supposedly came directly from GOD without human opinion.

An experience which is unique to one person, which others cannot share, is subjective. That's not a pejorative, it's simply the word we have for such experiences. Suppose I had a wild dream last night. I can describe it to you, but you have no way to know if I'm speaking truthfully or making the whole thing up, because you can't experience my dream. It happened to me subjectively.

I can independently evaluate f=ma, or "It's starting to rain," or "Insufficient spark advance will cause backfires," or any of a million other claims that people might make concerning observable reality. I cannot evaluate the claims made by Moses, or Muhammed, or Joseph Smith, or anybody else who says he is in contact with a deity. I cannot experience those alleged visions or revelations or whatever, because whatever did happen, it happened subjectively to those individuals.

Decreeing that 'This particular incident involved my chosen deity, therefore it's objective' doesn't make it so.

Quote:
Even if one disagrees with the story, then at least fictionally they are objective. :)

Nope.

Quote:
Some would say that it is still not objectivity, because in your example of F=ma, underlying the formula are mathematical postulates that are human assumptions on how the world works.

Newton's laws have been verified thousands if not millions of times. At the macro level, and under normal Earth conditions, they are objectively true. The engines in our cars, the houses we live in, the pipes that bring us water, are all constructed according to Newtonian principles. To suggest, at this point, that 'maybe engineers just feel that they are true' is frankly absurd.

Quote:
Sure, but "moral code" can be selfishness; it does not have to be cooperative.

What sort of moral code is suggested by observable reality is a topic for later discussion. Personally, though, I find that it's often in my own self-interest to cooperate with others. Don't you?

Quote:
Sure, but I know someone who has spent about thirty years in and out of prison committing crimes, and thinks the people that are not grounded in reality are the ones who have made-up a morality in which they falsely belief other people give a crap about them.

If his moral code has landed him in prison numerous times, he really needs to reevaluate it. And no ethical system can tell you if other people give a crap about you, any more than it can tell you the time of day. That would call for observation.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2014, 3:01 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Humanaut wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
How is atheist morality not Social Darwinism?

What do you mean by "atheist morality"?

Ethics is a branch of philosophy.

The space for the title is short, so you should not draw conclusions from the title.

I am asking, what philosophy do atheists appeal to for their moral principals when arguing against Social Darwinism? It happens a lot here, but I never see the philosophy stated. And more interestingly, is the philosophy based in reason, or just personal belief ?

In the west, most atheists generally appeal to secular humanist philosophy for their moral principles which is totally opposed to social darwinism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_humanism

However, it also really depends on what kind of atheist you're talking about since atheism in and of itself doesn't give an indication of any particular philosophy, it just means the absence of a belief in gods.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2014, 3:29 pm

Jono wrote:
n the west, most atheists generally appeal to secular humanist philosophy for their moral principles which is totally opposed to social darwinism:

However, it also really depends on what kind of atheist you're talking about since atheism in and of itself doesn't give an indication of any particular philosophy, it just means the absence of a belief in gods.

"Secular humanism does not prescribe a specific theory of morality or code of ethics".

So, secular humanism is no basis to argue against "Social Darwinism".

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Aug 2014, 3:38 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
If you want to ask questions about meta-ethics, don't frame them as an attack on atheism or you'll get defensive responses.

Essentially, I believe you are asking "can reason tell us what is right and wrong?"

In a nutshell, no, it probably can't.

No. I was wondering if atheists lie to themselves when they pick out a subjective morality ? They apparently believe that humans are purposeless, randomly evolved animals. So, when choosing a morality then they must know in the back of their minds that it is just some lies they tell themselves to function in the world?

I created this thread, because I get perplexed, I see atheist argue against "Social Darwinism" on WP on the basis of ethics. However, if morality is just "made up" as others have stated above, then there is no moral basis. There is nothing morally wrong with cutting off welfare to the poor (labeled "Social Darwinism"). So, per the initial question, I wonder what reasoning, what philosophy is being appealed to argue against Social Darwinism when no basis for morality has been established.

I don't think I attacked atheism. I fairly listed out pro/con philosophies.

OK, I just added a whole bunch to your list.

Incidentally, Kantian ethics is certainly objective, and you can argue either way for utilitarianism (it is teleological, and the degree to which something is good or bad depends on subjective experiences, but I would argue it still presents an objective right and wrong in each situation...).

Morality being "made up" doesn't stop something from being immoral.

And you are wrong about Humanism, which does advocate for living morally - it just doesn't exclude any moral code that does not contain supernatural elements.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2014, 4:08 pm

luanqibazao wrote:

Newton's laws have been verified thousands if not millions of times. At the macro level, and under normal Earth conditions, they are objectively true. The engines in our cars, the houses we live in, the pipes that bring us water, are all constructed according to Newtonian principles. To suggest, at this point, that 'maybe engineers just feel that they are true' is frankly absurd.

"Mathematical Fictionalism" is a debated topic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy ... ctionalism

Quantum Mechanics applies to all matter, even macro-matter, so that alone should make you question the assumptions of Newtonian principals.

Here is a comedy about whether 'Math is real' (which apparently is what you are asserting).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbNymweHW4E[/youtube]

Last edited by LoveNotHate on 10 Aug 2014, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2014, 4:09 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:

"Secular humanism does not prescribe a specific theory of morality or code of ethics".

So, secular humanism is no basis to argue against "Social Darwinism".

There is a bit more to that snip from the wiki.

Quote:
Secular humanism does not prescribe a specific theory of morality or code of ethics. As stated by the Council for Secular Humanism,

It should be noted that Secular Humanism is not so much a specific morality as it is a method for the explanation and discovery of rational moral principles.[32]

So really it's about finding moral principles without depending on religion to give them to you.

Quote:
Many Humanists adopt principles of the Golden Rule.

I don't quite go by the Golden Rule. Back when I was young there was a t-shirt slogan that said "Don't treat others as you would wish to be treated. They might not have the same taste." I took that to heart and instead go by the quasi-Hippocratic "first do no harm". Both of these are consistent with both secular humanism and arguing against social darwinism.

This snip is also relevent.

Quote:
Fundamentalists correctly perceive that universal moral standards are required for the proper functioning of society. But they erroneously believe that God is the only possible source of such standards. Philosophers as diverse as Plato, Immanuel Kant, John Stuart Mill, George Edward Moore, and John Rawls have demonstrated that it is possible to have a universal morality without God. Contrary to what the fundamentalists would have us believe, then, what our society really needs is not more religion but a richer notion of the nature of morality.[33]

That is precisely the stand you have taken here- that God (or religion in general?) is the only possible source for morals. But that isn't true.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2014, 4:39 pm

Janissy wrote:

Quote:
Fundamentalists correctly perceive that universal moral standards are required for the proper functioning of society. But they erroneously believe that God is the only possible source of such standards. Philosophers as diverse as Plato, Immanuel Kant, John Stuart Mill, George Edward Moore, and John Rawls have demonstrated that it is possible to have a universal morality without God. Contrary to what the fundamentalists would have us believe, then, what our society really needs is not more religion but a richer notion of the nature of morality.[33]

That is precisely the stand you have taken here- that God (or religion in general?) is the only possible source for morals. But that isn't true.

In the original post, I cited many philosophies that don't rely on a GOD, so I understand that morality can exist without a GOD.

"The Golden Rule" has been cited the most in responses.

"The Golden Rule" --> Give people welfare, because I expect welfare.
or
"The Golden Rule" --> Don't give people welfare, because I don't expect welfare.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2014, 4:56 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Janissy wrote:

Quote:

In the original post, I cited many philosophies that don't rely on a GOD, so I understand that morality can exist without a GOD.

"The Golden Rule" has been cited the most in responses.

"The Golden Rule" --> Give people welfare, because I expect welfare.
or
"The Golden Rule" --> Don't give people welfare, because I don't expect welfare.

This is an example of why I personally prefer the quasi Hippocratic "first do no harm" as a guiding moral principle rather than the Golden Rule. Using my own expectations or preferences for how to treat other people can create the sort of conundrum you use as an example. But "first do no harm" works better as a guide- although it doesn't answer the question. Instead, it requires you to to try to sort out help from harm. On the one hand, welfare can rescue people from homelessness. On the other hand, it can potentially foster learned helplessness. I don't have the answer. But at least "first do no harm" creates a goal- helping people without harming them with learned helplessness. The Democratic Party has been trying to sort this out for decades. It is not simple and there isn't a binary always welfare/never welfare answer.

Spectacles
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Aug 2014, 10:07 pm

Religion provides a set of rules to be obeyed based on diving knowledge through 'revelation' (holy literature, personal testimonies/encounters, etc). Theoretically, it is this 'diving knowledge' that determines what is of value and what is not and how to behave to reflect those values. The problem enters when you realize that those values are built on nothing else but hearsay. A lot of good has been done in the name of religious hearsay, such as the creation of hospitals, abolition of slavery (or the limited kind that we learn about in U.S textbooks), systematic requirements for charity, and taking care of the poor. However, a lot of bad has also been done in the name of religious hearsay, such as the perpetuation of slavery, the KKK, suicide bombers, etc.

The atheist problem is what to replace that 'diving knowledge' with once you find out that there is no such thing as 'divine' (or that it looks radically different than the anthropomorphic models that many religions display). If God(s) doesn't determine what's of value and what's not, who or what does? That's a good question, and like many here have already pointed out, one that is dealt with in the domain of ethics, where we look at what determines what is right and wrong.

At the end of the day, all human beings do good and all human beings do sh***y things. Atheism is less vested in an 'us and them' tribal mentality, which provides the rationale for not doing things that will badly influence others, as well as for not caring about how one influences others. I'm not sure if it makes much a difference one way or another in the short term. But it's relatively new to be safely (at least in some places in the world; there are still plenty being killed throughout the world for being atheist) out as an atheist, so it will be interesting to see how the discussion develops and changes in the absence of God.

Just like violence, social Darwinism is a position held (knowingly and not knowingly) as much (if not more) by religious folks as well as by the non-religious folk. Perhaps psychology and sociology could provide better lenses to understand why one group of people decide to behave/believe one way as opposed to another. The religious/non-religious distinction doesn't seem to make much difference, in my experience at least, in how one acts.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 8:43 am

LoveNotHate wrote:

As is evolution, creationism, a flat earth, geocentrism, and global warming. And they are all found in Wikipedia as well.

LoveNotHate wrote:
"Quantum Mechanics applies to all matter, even macro-matter, so that alone should make you question the assumptions of Newtonian principals.

I suggest you study quantum physics in depth before diving into those waters, because quantum mechanics do not invalidate Newtonian physics at all; quite the contrary. They do define the conditions at which Newtonian physics need additional calcualtion for further precision (approaching around 10% of the speed of lightand above, for example).

LoveNotHate wrote:
"Here is a comedy about whether 'Math is real' (which apparently is what you are asserting).

Math is most definitely real. It is observable and provable, and has been many times in the past. Using a comedy clip to argue otherwise is just plain silly.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 9:06 am

sonofghandi wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

As is evolution, creationism, a flat earth, geocentrism, and global warming. And they are all found in Wikipedia as well.

The discussion was about F=ma, a mathematical equation. Thus, I appropriately cited a link to mathematical fictionalism (which is related to the question of mathematical objectivism), your wikipedia links have nothing to do with F=ma ?

sonofghandi wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
"Quantum Mechanics applies to all matter, even macro-matter, so that alone should make you question the assumptions of Newtonian principals.

I suggest you study quantum physics in depth before diving into those waters, because quantum mechanics do not invalidate Newtonian physics at all; quite the contrary. They do define the conditions at which Newtonian physics need additional calcualtion for further precision (approaching around 10% of the speed of lightand above, for example).

Not correct.

I would suggest you watch this video of a Yale physics professor .. as he starts at 2:03 with "today we will shoot down Newtonian mechanics" ... meaning to understand QM you have to realize that the QM has probabilistic outcomes, and Newtonian physics has non-probabilistic outcomes. If you watch part II then can see his discussion in how QM applies to the macro-world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK2eFv7ne_Q

However, it should be self-evident that physics theory thinks QM probabilistic outcomes apply to the macro-world because physics people like Steven Hawking argue for the "multiverse" of multiple probabilistic universes.

sonofghandi wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
"Here is a comedy about whether 'Math is real' (which apparently is what you are asserting).

Math is most definitely real. It is observable and provable, and has been many times in the past. Using a comedy clip to argue otherwise is just plain silly.

This is debated among philosophy/math people so apparently you know something they don't? Did you watch the video ? Do you plan to claim your Nobel Prize soon as he says ? What do you know about math existing outside the human mind ?

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 10:06 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
The discussion was about F=ma, a mathematical equation. Thus, I appropriately cited a link to mathematical fictionalism (which is related to the question of mathematical objectivism), your wikipedia links have nothing to do with F=ma ?

The gist of my response was to indicate that just because it is documented that people argue about things does not mean that there is credible evidence on both sides.

LoveNotHate wrote:
I would suggest you watch this video of a Yale physics professor .. as he starts at 2:03 with "today we will shoot down Newtonian mechanics" ... meaning to understand QM you have to realize that the QM has probabilistic outcomes, and Newtonian physics has non-probabilistic outcomes. If you watch part II then can see his discussion in how QM applies to the macro-world.

If you want some serious discussion, I suggest you do some serious studying. You are over-simplifying things. QM only proves that there is a point at which Newtonian physics no longer apply, not that they are invalid or wrong. Have you even taken an intro to modern physics class? Newtonian and non-Newtonian physics are two different processes, one of which relies on a specific set of initial (primarily Earth-based) conditions while one does not.

Physics is my bread and butter. Without physics I would still be working retail and doing construction on the weekends.

LoveNotHate wrote:
This is debated among philosophy/math people so apparently you know something they don't? Did you watch the video ? Do you plan to claim your Nobel Prize soon as he says ? What do you know about math existing outside the human mind ?

Philosophy and math do not readily mix. One deals with the unprovable and one deals with the provable.

Your entire "argument" is akin to all of us living in the Matrix and nothing is real. Are you seriously suggesting that 1+1=2 is only valid because it exists in the imagination?