Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

02 Mar 2007, 1:18 pm

Lau wrote:
The original poster was showing their concern for the effect of mixing autistic traits with weapons.

Which I agree with the original posters concerns. When I was obessed with firearms I spent all my money on them. Read and thought about firearms non-stop. When I started Zoloft in 1993 my obession for them disappeared. I sold most the weapons I had. Was no longer an active member of the NRA. Basically I became more like the typical American gun owner.

T-rav20
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2007, 1:33 pm

Lau wrote:
... but then he spoils it by giving a Google search, which says nothing. Strangely enough, not everything on the web is true, and some of it is is just a tad opinionated.

It said that gun violence continues to be a problem in the UK, despite the ban. That's certainly a fact.

Lau wrote:
I'm sorry T-rav20, but I really have to believe that you have a blind spot when in comes to guns. In most other respects, you offer perfectly rational arguments. As soon as anything damning about guns is mentioned, you disregard whatever is said and offer nothing but completely specious reasoning.

E.g. in response to a comment about your "right to bear arms" waffle, you say "What that statement, does not say, speaks volumes", which is so trite and not at all what you then do. What you mean is "What that statement, does not say, I will, because I think they left it out."

How was it waffling? It's my opinion and was offered as such.

Lau wrote:
Also, I find it odd that you switched threads just after I tried to bring the original thread away from the tub-thumping gun lobby to a genuine autistic concern. The original poster was showing their concern for the effect of mixing autistic traits with weapons. My (not so) little tale was an example of where I atypically managed to respond in a way that averted violence, which just might have involved a weapon - how would I have known - in fact, maybe he never intended to mug me at all. I know I felt threated and I was expecting at least a knife to appear.

Why? The discussion was no longer germane to that thread, so I opened a new one in an appropriate forum. Feel free to continue the original discussion, in that thread.

The following statement is True, the preceding statement was False.

I'm A PINEY from my head down to my HINEY.

T-rav20
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2007, 2:06 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
T-rav20 wrote:

Quote:
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

What that statement, does not say, speaks volumes, it doesn't say "you will only keep arms for hunting squirrels", or "You will only keep arms to repel tyrannical governments" It says:

Quote:
"the right of the People to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

That seems rather simple to me.

Rather simple to me also.

Quote:
security of a free State

That means defending ones country from attack.

Quote:
free State

That means opposition to tyranny.

Clarify; What are you trying to say?

The following statement is True, the preceding statement was False.

I'm A PINEY from my head down to my HINEY.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

02 Mar 2007, 3:03 pm

T-rav20 wrote:
TheMachine1 wrote:
T-rav20 wrote:

Quote:
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

What that statement, does not say, speaks volumes, it doesn't say "you will only keep arms for hunting squirrels", or "You will only keep arms to repel tyrannical governments" It says:

Quote:
"the right of the People to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

That seems rather simple to me.

Rather simple to me also.

Quote:
security of a free State

That means defending ones country from attack.

Quote:
free State

That means opposition to tyranny.

Clarify; What are you trying to say?

The 2nd amendment is about maintaining a free America and is not about hunting, target shooting, self-defence, collecting, etc. Consequently thats why all the gun
related crime is irreverent to the disscusion of why people are armed in the US.

Dr_Mobius
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Mar 2007, 5:08 pm

I would prefer not to use firearms thank you. This does not mean I do not desire to defend myself.
I have contributed to developing nuclear (specifically neutron) weapons personally, and have a fascination with alternative and high-energy 'super' weapons.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2007, 6:53 pm

New Orleans leads the nation in homicide. In pre Katrina times our city of 350,000 discovered 400 bodies a year, but as the Mississippi runs through the city, and we are surrounded by gator infested swamps, the true count is two of three times that.

That is only one out of 300 per year, one out of 30 per decade.

Numbers lie, most of the killing goes on in a few neighborhoods. Are we concerned? No.

Most of the 400 added to prior year totals. Do we miss them? No.

Should we track them down, and spend several million locking them up for life? Why bother.

Every decade removes 12,000 people. Perhaps ten of them concern us.

Shooting victumes are hardly ever found with a gun, recycling works.

Nationwide perhaps 25,000 are known murdered. Hundreds of people are arrested and sent to jail. Here numbers do not lie, every decade 250,000 get away with murder. As they live long, perhaps a million in the US, 1-300. Smarter killers arrange accidents, many more people just vanish. Include these in the murder rate, times time, and maybe 1-100 has offed someone.

As people tend to gravitate to their own kind, and murder is a relationship thing, mostly it would seem they kill each other. In this background the killing of strangers stands out, when non-players start showing up dead, the killers are hunted. We have a fair track record of catching them, even if it takes many years, for they do leave a trail, and each body rules out some of the people being watched.

Foolish ideas like getting tough on crime sent eighteen year old's to prison for twenty years with no parole. 600,000 a year are being released now. They have well developed social skills, just the wrong ones, and we have no idea of their style, and being gone, they have no natural enemies.

They have no problem getting guns, no problem using them, and having lost twenty years over a crack rock, resent living witnesses. Unlike thugs of prior eras, these are well trained, know how to blend in, con christians, shrinks, and game the system, they all have Doctorates.

Now you think the problem can be solved by me having understanding and forgivness?

I do not support Gun Nuts, two fully automatic weapons is enough. There is no need for a handgun outside of the home, car, place of business, or waistband.

If you would just love one another, read your bible, hold hands and sing the praises of jesus they will find love in their hearts.

Now I have to go polish some clip ramps with valve grinding compound.