Page 2 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 3:49 pm

Raptor wrote:
ZenDen wrote:
These just may be the middle ages but we just don't know it yet.

Thinking varies from country to country, etc.

In the U.S. if someone kills someone and says God told him to do it we prepare a padded room.

But in the middle east it's accepted that local religious authorities can say God told them to do it, and people (who fervently believe tis is true) line up to have bombs strapped on them before they get their morning's coffee or drop off their kid at school, etc..

Spooky, huh?

True, and the ones who claim to be anti-religion seem to focus on Christianity and any criticism of Islam, real or imagined, are instantly labeled as "Islamophobia".

That's because if you're an antitheist or even atheist in the western culture where christianity prevails, it's usually the first religion to get on your nerves whereas Islam is half a world away. I don't know about where you live but it isn't the islamists who try and push the teaching of creationism in schools and such. Islam is still fringe in western cultures whereas christianity is the majority.

In the middle east I don't doubt that atheists' main target is islam...

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 8:00 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
That's because if you're an antitheist or even atheist in the western culture where christianity prevails, it's usually the first religion to get on your nerves whereas Islam is half a world away.

Yes, but we have people on this forum alone that wring their hands and write long tearful posts over whatever's going on half way around the world that's tugging at their heartstrings that week whether it has anything to do with them and their country or not.

Quote:
I don't know about where you live but it isn't the islamists who try and push the teaching of creationism in schools and such.

And it wasn't Presbyterians that hijacked airliners and flew them into the twin towers here in the US.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 10:40 pm

Raptor wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:
That's because if you're an antitheist or even atheist in the western culture where christianity prevails, it's usually the first religion to get on your nerves whereas Islam is half a world away.

Yes, but we have people on this forum alone that wring their hands and write long tearful posts over whatever's going on half way around the world that's tugging at their heartstrings that week whether it has anything to do with them and their country or not.

Some people are just more empathetic than others over another's plight, even if it is half a world away.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know about where you live but it isn't the islamists who try and push the teaching of creationism in schools and such.

And it wasn't Presbyterians that hijacked airliners and flew them into the twin towers here in the US.

No, but some christian fringe groups do blow up abortion clinics and kill doctors that perform abortions...

Whatever happened to 'Thou shalt not kill?'

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 11:06 am

SilverProteus wrote:
Raptor wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:

Some people are just more empathetic than others over another's plight, even if it is half a world away.

About half the time it's synthetic apathy driven by personal agenda or a political narrative.

SilverProteus wrote:
Raptor wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:

No, but some christian fringe groups do blow up abortion clinics and kill doctors that perform abortions...

I've never seen an abortion clinic the size of the WTC.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 1:16 pm

Raptor wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:
Raptor wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:

About half the time it's synthetic apathy driven by personal agenda or a political narrative.

The same could be said of any group.

Quote:
SilverProteus wrote:
Raptor wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:

I've never seen an abortion clinic the size of the WTC.

Doesn't matter.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 6:46 pm

OP: No. I spent a while trying to figure out if I could find any sort of format to a 'devil' or organized evil and essentially there's no such thing. There are people who think that its a dog eats dog world and hence they spend a lot of time eating Asian quisine, and then you have people who get that we're all part of the same thing and ontologically we have no right to be above another person (in function or custody of responsibilities only perhaps - each according to our own abilities) and that the debt we owe to nature and the world around us is unrepayable.

When I did have my fundy Christian moment I wondered how something human - on a good/evil battleground for eternal survival - could be knee-capped so badly by its creator to not be able to show love to others in a socially acceptable manner and have their life littered with almost unwinnable battles that had absolutely no relationship to the battle between good and evil. The answer I found - there's no such battle and no such dualism. A God that would create beings utterly incapable of living its will - either by inquisitive thinking or by blunt force disability, or both - would be incoherent to say the least.

As a musician if I'm making a piece of music and its not working I don't say "Damn that kick" or "Damn that snare" - it's my own piece of art and my own culpability if it doesn't work. On the proverbial seventh day of creation YHVH saw its creation, declared it good - I don't think YHVH had a stuttering problem or would make such a declaration fragile enough for Adam and Eve to be randomly bamboozled by a nachash.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2014, 1:32 pm

noidentity0 wrote:
To all christians, do you think theres a link between autism and the devil? Do you think Jesus can heal us?
:lol: :lol: :lol: Im no Christian but I fail to take this question seriously its gotta be an under bridge dweller question!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2014, 1:36 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
noidentity0 wrote:
To all christians, do you think theres a link between autism and the devil? Do you think Jesus can heal us?
:lol: :lol: :lol: Im no Christian but I fail to take this question seriously its gotta be an under bridge dweller question!

I disagree. There are many literalists among all religions. It is unfair to expect a one-size-fits-all Christian. We come in all shapes, sizes and opinions.

What might seem basic, ridiculous or even outrageous to a person might be anoth person's dilemma.

Besides, even if it is a fake post, it asked a good question regarding doctrine and interpretation.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2014, 1:38 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
noidentity0 wrote:

I disagree. There are many literalists among all religions. It is unfair to expect a one-size-fits-all Christian. We come in all shapes, sizes and opinions.

What might seem basic, ridiculous or even outrageous to a person might be anoth person's dilemma.

Besides, even if it is a fake post, it asked a good question regarding doctrine and interpretation.
I suppose so I wouldnt be surprised if some believe that people who are autistic are the devil.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2014, 1:48 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
noidentity0 wrote:

I suppose so I wouldnt be surprised if some believe that people who are autistic are the devil.

Well it isn't so long back that a member was seeking advice in the Haven because he was hearing voices. A Christian member advised him to get on his knees and pray to god to free him from the demon that was inhabiting him. The rest of the members suggested he seek medical help as it may be schizophrenia. Hmmm tough one... medical condition or possession by a demon? :roll: Duh.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2014, 3:01 pm

TallyMan wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
noidentity0 wrote:

Well it isn't so long back that a member was seeking advice in the Haven because he was hearing voices. A Christian member advised him to get on his knees and pray to god to free him from the demon that was inhabiting him. The rest of the members suggested he seek medical help as it may be schizophrenia. Hmmm tough one... medical condition or possession by a demon? :roll: Duh.

It's such people as the WP member you had mentioned who do potentially irreparable harm to others, and who give religion such a bad name.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2014, 8:28 pm

TallyMan wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
noidentity0 wrote:

This kind of thing angers me. What fricken' century do we live in?!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2014, 9:12 pm

Anyone who goes by the name of "No identity zero" is obviously a troll.
And since he hasnt participated in the thread since he started it that clinches it that he is in fact a troll.

Spectacles
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Aug 2014, 9:49 pm

No, no, he's right, guilty as charged: I'm the devil. :twisted:

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2014, 10:01 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Anyone who goes by the name of "No identity zero" is obviously a troll.
And since he hasnt participated in the thread since he started it that clinches it that he is in fact a troll.

Gee, if I had a dollar for every time I've been accused of being a troll...................
:P

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2014, 6:42 am

Where has the troll (OP) gone?

Anyhow for what its worth I believe my ASD is the result of a the traumatic death of my distant ancestors who, after an unsuccessful rebellion against the galactic emperor were flown to the primordial earth (aboard planes which bore a remarkable resemblance to DC9's), chained en masse around active volcano's, and reduced back to molecules by the force of millions of atomic bombs. I am currently undergoing therapy to rid myself of this ancestral trauma, and one day will I hope, no I know, I will be free and clear. Once I am free of this trauma I will effortlessly recoup the cost of my treatment 10 fold.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx