Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 9:39 pm

In the Olympic Peninsula of the Pacific Northwest there are vast expanses of dense forest where many sightings of a *gasp* GIANT creature have been reported. Sophisticated teams involving PhDed researchers are involved in staking out this creature, said to be between 8 and 9 feet tall, resembling an ape.

So what is the deal here? Why would this PhD waste his time if he were not convinced? He is a man of considerable education, obviously. He has a degree in Anthropology so maybe he is merely exploring the myth in the collective psyche of humanity? He has casts of large footprints he claims belong to this creature.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

22 Aug 2014, 10:04 pm

It goes like this...

Dear Dude:

There are plenty enough greasy rednecks like myself that would "accidentally" shoot one of those critters and leave it on the front doorstep of some university in the middle of the night, if in fact they were real.

You cannot hide an animal from a redneck.

Sincerely:
The Village Idiot

Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

Bruce Lee.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 10:31 pm

Okay then why so much attention from the PhD from Idaho?

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 10:36 pm

PhD doesn't necessarily mean much, I know a few who have phDs and are not just idiots but stupid moronic idiots and I can't fathom how they were ever able to get that far in their academic endeavours. Probably bought the diploma somehow.

Looking at you, Ingrid Finger! Heh.

Last edited by SilverProteus on 22 Aug 2014, 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

22 Aug 2014, 11:08 pm

Have you ever seen a guy with a PHd try to get a snapping turtle to the other side of a highway, so it doesn't get run over? I have. Not a pritty site. The DNR knows EVERYTHING! all the rest of that stuff is a publicity stunt. Just like the mermaids.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 11:21 pm

He might be studying Pacific NW myths or something. He had casts of Big Foot's foot prints, a male and a female, respectively.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 11:44 pm

Many people with letters after their name have investigated myths of this kind. Big Foot, Nessy and others. I have yet to hear of any that uncovered something of substance. Nice to hear such legends, but a waste of time, unless you're a screenplay-writer, or someone who makes a dollar from the gullible. But I'm glad we have people like Ana, to keep the imaginative juices going. :wink:

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 12:14 am

I didn't even say I believe in Big Foot. Why is it just mentioning this kind of subject causes scorn and ridicule? It is just a possibility. I am not saying Big Foot is a certainty. I just find it curious that learned individuals with graduate degrees would be so interested in such an elusive creature.

If you think it's an impossibility consider this; a certain species of Ivory Billed Woodpecker in Arkansas is confined to a very specific range and that is the only place in the world it exists. It was hunted to near extinction and scientists think it is extinct now however no one knows for certain if it really truly is or if there are a few stragglers here and there lingering in this bog in Arkansas and this isn't the only species that shares a similar experience. When numbers are low it is difficult to tell if it is there or not.

Spectacles
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Aug 2014, 12:19 am

PhD means 2 things: you know a hell of a lot about a small segment of a topic, and you can persevere like a mother. I've even seen PhDs in creationist astrophysics. It says very little about the quality of thought and more about supporting your thoughts, which are supposed to go together, but don't always.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 12:45 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
...a certain species of Ivory Billed Woodpecker in Arkansas is confined to a very specific range and that is the only place in the world it exists. It was hunted to near extinction...

A lot like the Tasmanian Tiger. People saw these before they went extinct, and museums have many remains and taxidermied showpieces.

Spectacles
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Aug 2014, 12:54 am

Narrator wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
...a certain species of Ivory Billed Woodpecker in Arkansas is confined to a very specific range and that is the only place in the world it exists. It was hunted to near extinction...

A lot like the Tasmanian Tiger. People saw these before they went extinct, and museums have many remains and taxidermied showpieces.

Good point. Always a chance the claims are real, in which case, there's a lot of motivation for someone to be the first to prove its existence definitively. And if not, they get a good story out of it :).

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 1:03 am

they say dinosaurs existed, so big foot is no big deal

Spectacles
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Aug 2014, 1:05 am

LoveNotHate wrote:

Easy for you to say, since you're a dinosaur ;P

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 1:53 am

they still find animals that no one knew about. they found some monkey down in Asia, and other things in south america.

big foot could be a type of bear or ape. like they think the one white bigfoot in Asia is

I neither believe or disbelieve in such things. as long as there are places no one has been or where we can't go and see. then it is possible there are animals or things we haven't seen.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 4:21 am

LoveNotHate wrote:

Dinosaurs are not 'belief' but evidenced by the mountain of their remains.

Species tend to die out if there are too few of them, so if Bigfoot is/was real, he was probably the last of his species, possibly a throwback, and probably lived on in legend more than reality.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 5:02 am

The fact that one guy with credentials thinks that there is enough evidence to investigate bigfoot means that: there is enough evidence to convince one guy that there is enough evidence to investigate bigfoot. Nothing less, and nothing more. It doesnt mean its proof that bigfoot exists. Thats for this guy to do: find proof. Im rooting for him to find it. But Im not betting the rent money on him finding any hard evidence.