It had to happen sooner or later - CARGO CULTS

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 3:26 pm

About time somebody made a topic about them, eh? Or have they already and I missed it?

A Cargo Cult occurs when a primitive group of isolated islanders experiences visits from pilots in planes delivering food and other simple goodies. After these pilots leave, Cargo Cults formed among these primitive tribesmen in hope that worshiping the figure of a plane and reverence will bring the cargo back. It's just like what we call a religion, complete with rude effigies of planes constructed in hope it will bring a real cargo plane back.

Now what's really interesting about this is, similar has happened in humanity's past only it was before anyone had a cargo plane or any kind of airplane, period. What is the explanation? Could this explain why people started worshiping odd gods? They experienced extra terrestrials from nearby star systems that either rained destruction (as in laser beam weapons) or brought neat things for them (like survival knowledge and technical skill?)

Or, did they simply develop the skill hoping the could bring the invaders back again? For instance, the Mayan and Aztec pyramids mimic the shape of something from outer space associated with great power?

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 3:35 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Now what's really interesting about this is, similar has happened in humanity's past only it was before anyone had a cargo plane or any kind of airplane, period. What is the explanation?

Swamp gas?

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 4:58 pm

This is also used as analogy for programing

Cargo Cult Programming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult_programming

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 5:16 pm

You are going to have to be more specific if I can provide an explanation. Where are the cargo cults from ancient history?

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 5:29 pm

AspE wrote:
You are going to have to be more specific if I can provide an explanation. Where are the cargo cults from ancient history?

I posed this question to google. Apparently, it is a mainstay of the "ancient astronauts" meme.

http://disinfo.com/2010/08/cargo-cults- ... stronauts/

Quote:
It is important because if cargo cult behavior still takes place today, then it is a rather logical conclusion that cargo cult behavior also took place thousands and thousands of years ago. The cargo cult phenomenon illustrates the basic premise of the Classic Ancient Astronaut Theory: Thousands and thousands of years ago, technologically advanced flesh and blood extraterrestrials arrived on Earth in nuts and bolts spaceships. Intellectually-speaking, our ancestors were not stupid (they essentially had the same brain as we have today), however, because their technological frame of reference was limited, they did not comprehend the nuts and bolts aspects behind the arrival of those flesh and blood extraterrestrials and so our ancestors misinterpreted them for being divine in nature, which, of course, the visitors were not. And thus, the ?gods? were born. Out of a simple (yet major!) misunderstanding. - See more at: http://disinfo.com/2010/08/cargo-cults- ... iS1ZX.dpuf

Which is to say, if you buy the idea that aliens influenced ancient cultures, then you could call that an ancient cargo cult.

I don't buy the idea that aliens influenced ancient cultures.

Ectryon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 5:55 pm

I just dont see the need to link cargo cults and ancient astronauts.There is no way to realistically prove the existence of ancient astronauts. About the closest one could come to evidence would be the occurrence of multiple pre nautical religions with the same iconography. This could be a result of some freak accident such as things washing up on beaches or a guy with a really good throwing arm

My history on this forum preserves my old and unregenerate self. In the years since I posted here I have undergone many changes. I accept responsibility for my posts but I no longer stand behind them.
And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high Hebrews 1:3

Last edited by Ectryon on 22 Aug 2014, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 6:36 pm

WHERE do the Star People come from??????

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 6:46 pm

The Sombrero Galaxy. They are illegal aliens.

Ectryon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 6:49 pm

Humanaut wrote:
The Sombrero Galaxy. They are illegal aliens.

Nope they're just asserting their ancient claim on their stolen lands :wink:

My history on this forum preserves my old and unregenerate self. In the years since I posted here I have undergone many changes. I accept responsibility for my posts but I no longer stand behind them.
And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high Hebrews 1:3

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 7:13 pm

Humanaut wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Now what's really interesting about this is, similar has happened in humanity's past only it was before anyone had a cargo plane or any kind of airplane, period. What is the explanation?

Swamp gas?

I can tell I will receive the typical array of enlightening replies. :lol:

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 11:09 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Humanaut wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Swamp gas?

I can tell I will receive the typical array of enlightening replies. :lol:

Your threads are always entertaining. ;)

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 11:48 pm

Time to invoke The Prime Directive.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

Ectryon
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 5:02 am

Narrator wrote:

No. Interfering with other cultures is what we do best! Think of the terrible things Americans in particular would get up to if they didnt have a war of interference to keep them busy!! !

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 5:38 am

Ectryon wrote:
Narrator wrote:

No. Interfering with other cultures is what we do best! Think of the terrible things Americans in particular would get up to if they didnt have a war of interference to keep them busy!! !
I'll put in a subspace call to Commander Data... see if we can sort this one out.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

Ectryon
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 5:48 am

Narrator wrote:
Ectryon wrote:
Narrator wrote:

I'll put in a subspace call to Commander Data... see if we can sort this one out.

"Superior firepower equals superior morality. Data has spoken"