Please post real life examples of hipsters.

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 11:07 am

Please post real life examples of hipsters. And, what identifies them as such. I am skeptical that they exist.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 11:10 am

What are hipsters? I've heard the word but don't know what they are.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 11:15 am

They exist.Problems occur when they gather in groups.
http://www.rockcitytimes.com/big-piney- ... amination/

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 11:20 am

^ "hip twenty-somethings with affinities for alternative lifestyle and fashions. "

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 12:17 pm

Oh Noes!! !! !! !! !! !! !!!I smoke American Spirits....Oh wait I smoked them before the hipsters knew they existed to smoke them before it was cool. So I think I'm all good 8)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 12:21 pm

And I'll just leave this here

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 12:30 pm

There's this:

http://www.waragainstwork.com/culture/s ... bculturals

It isn't exactly real life since it's cartoons rather than photos but close enough and I've seen them. In the 80's I was one: the Apple Store Indie. Neither the Apple Store nor the term 'hipster' to refer to these people yet existed but many of these types are not recent. I didn't have glasses (or fake glasses) or fringe boots but other than that I could have been her.

Maybe that's why I have a soft spot for them. Back in the 80's they were myself and my friends. We have all aged out but the next generation seems to have kept many of the fashions. And they get insulted for doing so. The ire directed at hipsters is out of all proportion to what they are actually doing. So they appropriate fashions and artifacts from previous generations (such as my previous generation- a time when many people looked like this but the exact moniker hadn't yet been applied). Some appropriate from generations much farther back such as the Steampunk, or the Prehistoric Emo who looks exactly like all the men in my Dad's early 60's college yearbook (including him) minus the Chuck Taylors (which were strictly gym shoes). But so what if they do? I don't see that as a bad thing or in need of such things as "decontamination" of a swimming area (per MissLizard's link).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/com ... ipsters-2/

Quote:
I was walking down the street in a giant vintage coat and cowboy boots, holding an iced coffee in one hand and my iPhone in the other, when I noticed a sneering mob beginning to form.

Contemptuous murmurs built on either side. ?Hipster.? ?Bleeping hipster.? ?Look at that bleeping hipster.? ?I bet she?s active on Instagram.? It was like that scene in ?The Elephant Man.?

?No!? I shouted, as they closed in. ?I promise you, this is not what it looks like. I?m not a hipster. I?m you! Dunk me into craft beer and I will sink! Stick my hand into a cauldron full of obscure vinyl, and I promise you, I will draw out the one band that everyone has heard of! I didn?t buy this coat at a thrift shop! It was given to me by my actual grandmother! I?m on Instagram, but that?s because I have to use it for work! Please, let me find you a real hipster and I will gladly join you in burning him and his resplendent ironic beard at the stake.?

Hipsters are a group nobody wants to claim membership in. They are utterly hated and loathed but their "sins" are nothing but being cultural collectors. They gather stuff from across time and space (19th century clothes, 20th century records, food from Somewhere Else) and slap it all together in a pastiche. Yes, that's consumerist. But what exactly isn't these days? And when they break away from consuming and start creating (artisinal pickles, jewelry from reclaimed trash) they get mocked for that too.

I'm not going to play along with the bashing.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 1:05 pm

^The article is satire.
I also smoked Spirits before they were cool.I get a birthday card from American Spirit every year and other cool things,t-shirts,etc.....First kid in school to have my ear pierced multiple times.a triple piercing :lol: I preferred the dark black concert t-shirts,silver jewelry and Levi's.Put a blonde streak in my hair before it was cool.But I was sort of a weird hybrid,part nerd.In the TAG program and loved D&D . :lol: went on the AF base to play with the enlisted nerds.Wanted a tattoo,just never got around to it.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 1:14 pm

Young adults and kids expressing themselves with alternative lifestyle, fashions and counter-culture. I'm pretty sure the kids of every generation have done that. I had a blue Mohawk was I was in high school back in the 80's. Nothing new here. Just a different generation with a slightly different expression.

That said, when we are out and about in the city, we do like to play "Hipster or Homeless". Try to guess which bucket the person fits in.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 2:07 pm

Misslizard wrote:
^The article is satire.

I realize that but - with the loving exception of Portlandia- it is an example of the only type of satire there is about hipsters. Basically all satire about hipsters (except Portlandia) is a jokey way to say "everybody hates you- stupid hipsters". The internet is full from one end to the other of hipster-hating satire. It has become the new acceptable way to mock people. I suppose it's no wonder that nobody wants to claim membership in the group.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 2:37 pm

Janissy wrote:
Hipsters are a group nobody wants to claim membership in. They are utterly hated and loathed but their "sins" are nothing but being cultural collectors. They gather stuff from across time and space (19th century clothes, 20th century records, food from Somewhere Else) and slap it all together in a pastiche. Yes, that's consumerist. But what exactly isn't these days? And when they break away from consuming and start creating (artisinal pickles, jewelry from reclaimed trash) they get mocked for that too.

I'm not going to play along with the bashing.

Well, I still haven't figured out if people are being ironic by attacking this incredibly vague subculture.

Last edited by Stannis on 05 Sep 2014, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ectryon
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 2:39 pm

I could easily be called a hipster. I wear check flannel shirts slim jeans and converses. I listen to obscure artists and am constantly searching for more. I love to discover new cultures and new perspectives. I also find that irony can be an effective tool for parody and to create multilayered compositions.

What makes me different from the hipsters of today's pop culture is that I do all that sincerely. The above things inspire me and make me love life. A hipster on the other hand does the above for totally egotistical reasons. There's nothing beneath the appearance of depth.

P.s of course hipsters exist but the problem is that the nature of their scattered fracturedidentity makes themhard to pin down. They're patchwork quilts of just about everything.

My history on this forum preserves my old and unregenerate self. In the years since I posted here I have undergone many changes. I accept responsibility for my posts but I no longer stand behind them.
And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high Hebrews 1:3

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 3:36 pm

Ectryon wrote:
I could easily be called a hipster. I wear check flannel shirts slim jeans and converses. I listen to obscure artists and am constantly searching for more. I love to discover new cultures and new perspectives. I also find that irony can be an effective tool for parody and to create multilayered compositions.

What makes me different from the hipsters of today's pop culture is that I do all that sincerely. The above things inspire me and make me love life. A hipster on the other hand does the above for totally egotistical reasons. There's nothing beneath the appearance of depth.

That's what their detractors say about them but what evidence is there that it's true? There are countless satires and takedowns all claiming that the hipsters are faking their appreciation of the things they like (or "like"). You genuinely enjoy the things you have listed. I believe that. But what evidence is there that that other guy wearing the same clothes and listening to the same music doesn't genuinely enjoy these artifacts and is just pretending to for show. I have wondered for a while why hipsters inspire so much hate, not the least from people doing identical things. I think your post finally sheds some light on this question. It isn't what they enjoy per se but rather it's the assumption that they are faking that enjoyment for the sake of appearances. This explains better than anything why nobody identifies with the group while doing all the things that ought to make them a member. Who would want to be in a group that is identified by others as being inherently fake.

I suppose it was the irony. Once one thing has been done for irony (Pabst Blue Ribbon?), it is easy for detractors to say that literally everything is done for irony and nothing is authentic joy. So if a person drinks PBR ironically but authentically likes Charles Mingus (or whatever), it is easy to assume that the Charles Mingus is also being listened to ironically.

Back in my young adulthood I bought a bunch of LPs at a thrift store to play ironically at a party. I chose them entirely by their cheesy cover art. Almost all of them were terrible and I listened to them once after the party at most. But one of them turned out to be a pretty fantastic album by Sergio Mendes. I had no idea I liked Sergio Mendes and had never heard of him prior to buying the album ironically for its cheesy cover art. But I continued listening to it with great joy and still listen to it (since digitized) to this day. Since the Mendes album was first played ironically, an outside observer might conclude that all subsequent plays were also ironic. But they weren't. It's hard to do something ironically for a few days, let alone 25 years. It's no fun to do something you really don't enjoy over and over while pretending you enjoy it.

I wonder if something similar has happened with today's hipsters. They did various things ironically at first but then wound up either genuinely liking them or dropping them because doing something you don't like continuously isn't fun. I have no doubt that many drank PBR ironically. But it's no fun to keep drinking a beer you don't like night after night, especially when the beers you would prefer are sitting right there. Soon enough you will cave and order the beer you actually want.

I suspect that hipsters have enjoyment of things that is every bit as authentic as your own. The only thing keeping you out of the hipster box is authentic enjoyment. Which is why nobody claims to be in that group. Everybody else has authentic enjoyment too. You are looking at that guy buying old records while wearing connies (what we used to call them back then) and assuming he is just pretending to enjoy it for a facade. Meanwhile, he's probably assuming the same thing about you. Thus hipster is a group that only other people belong to. Everybody is on the outside of it while doing the things that ought to place one inside it.

Quote:
P.s of course hipsters exist but the problem is that the nature of their scattered fractured identity makes them hard to pin down. They're patchwork quilts of just about everything.

They are magpies for sure. But what kind of group identity is even possible when the main characteristic is just pretending to enjoy something? Anybody who actually does enjoy it will place themselves outside the group- as you did in the opening paragraph.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 4:42 pm

Player 1 "you're a philosophical illiterate and you greatly overvalue your own importance."
Player 2: "and he's a hipster"
Me: Isn't that what he said?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 9:18 pm

They're certainly not hippies....

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2014, 8:20 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbTI7eWaQbk