Page 3 of 8 [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2014, 2:48 pm

There were many scienctific facts which have just only been discovered by science mentioned in bible and quoran thousand years ago, thats what i read but i dont remember what facts exactly

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2014, 2:56 pm

appletheclown wrote:
I agree with everything. None of what you say means religion isn't as important. The devil exists, God exists, and so does science. Knowledge being a school of thought as well as religion, I would think people would at least have a respect for spiritual beliefs by now.

Beliefs with no foundation in reality are of questionable value. Certainly the Devil is a reprehensible falsehood.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2014, 2:57 pm

Zajie wrote:
There were many scienctific facts which have just only been discovered by science mentioned in bible and quoran thousand years ago, thats what i read but i dont remember what facts exactly

Absolutely false.

blunnet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2014, 3:53 pm

YourMum wrote:
you're missing the point that you can't be objective if you've already decided which approach you're going to take on the world.

Which works best and has better standard and methodology for "the search of truth" than the rest. I never said that was fully objective, I know absolute objectivity isn't possible, and that doesn't discredit the scientific method.

The birth of Zeus is not as valid as the Theory of Relativity and viceversa. You (I pressume) would rather go to a doctor to treat a serious illness than a shaman healer.

If A is a better system and aproximation of reality than B, then A is more useful and B is discarded for such things.

Quote:
Says who? It really seems to me that you've already made up your mind about both science and religion.

sight!
Religion: Absolute certainty
Science: Falsifiability.
There is nothing more to say about this.

Quote:
It adapts at the same rate with equal affect from the tides of time.

It does in order to survive, but not entirely (the catholic church accepts evolution but still has an issue with homosexuality)

Quote:
You're setting standards by which to dismiss religion. Religion itself, evidently, does not subscribe to these standards.

A standard: scientific empiricism for knowledge, so yeah, religion doesn't suscribe to it.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2014, 8:39 pm

AspE wrote:
appletheclown wrote:
I agree with everything. None of what you say means religion isn't as important. The devil exists, God exists, and so does science. Knowledge being a school of thought as well as religion, I would think people would at least have a respect for spiritual beliefs by now.

Beliefs with no foundation in reality are of questionable value. Certainly the Devil is a reprehensible falsehood.
Reality is a concept of the observer. what multitudes of observers see altogether gets written down as fact, the fact is not everyone sees it the same. This is were philosophy comes in. When logical minds start to think science seems not know s**t.

Don't be a reptile! Go off your rocker once in a while.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2014, 8:44 pm

The reptilian brain produces the most wonderful people.
not

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2014, 10:52 pm

Zajie wrote:

That's what those of faith wish to believe. I used to believe the same thing - I grasped at any supposedly rational ideas to support my own faith.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2014, 10:53 pm

appletheclown wrote:
The reptilian brain produces the most wonderful people.
not

+1
hmmm.. I take that back.. and make it +2 at least.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2014, 11:34 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXg7dlrnoa0[/youtube]Science is the bane of religion and is soon bound to replace religion as the true solution to humanities problems.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2014, 6:46 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXg7dlrnoa0[/youtube]Science is the bane of religion and is soon bound to replace religion as the true solution to humanities problems.
The day the logical mind or science itself produces any real wisdom or emotional/moral revelations, let me know.

mezzanotte
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2014, 7:13 am

appletheclown wrote:
wisdom or emotional/moral revelations

Philosophy, psychology, literature, the arts?

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2014, 9:37 am

appletheclown wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
The day the logical mind or science itself produces any real wisdom or emotional/moral revelations, let me know.

How about recognizing the genetic reasons for autism?

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2014, 12:46 pm

AspE wrote:
Zajie wrote:

Absolutely false.

I don't know I read that once but not sure

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2014, 12:48 pm

Narrator wrote:
Zajie wrote:

That's what those of faith wish to believe. I used to believe the same thing - I grasped at any supposedly rational ideas to support my own faith.

Yes maybe

YourMum
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Sep 2014, 10:57 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:

Is that meant to be satire?

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2014, 4:47 pm

appletheclown wrote:
Reality is a concept of the observer. what multitudes of observers see altogether gets written down as fact, the fact is not everyone sees it the same. This is were philosophy comes in. When logical minds start to think science seems not know s**t.

Don't be a reptile! Go off your rocker once in a while.

Like is my pupil a black hole? I mean it would have to be one with two events horizons.
The one observed by those looking without the aid of an opticians tool that allows the optician to see more than what the naked eye can see?
My logic for asking the question comes down to the dual wave property.
What if the light splits as it hits the rods and cones inside my eye that possibly serves as seperator?
Doubt if the instruments are available to even measure that without killling me in the process.
Still, I can accept that the wave property of the sunlight that enters my body through my pupil gets absorbed by my nervous system as it is energy.
But what happens to the matter part of the light? I mean, does it come out with all the other crap or maybe it gets expelled as i sneeze.
My maths is useless too
But if emotions are no more than neurochemical variables and everything that we are is defined by our genetic make up why do identical twins have different finger print patterns?

I love reptiles.