Page 1 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2014, 8:22 pm

All I can say is ... /fail .

Arm the rebels in Syria.. who themselves are for all facts and purposes Al-Q and a bunch of warlord wannabe and sectarian militias that dream of becoming the next ISIS/L . This never works and hasn't worked. The weapons supplied don't magically vanish if group X defeats Y, it remains in the hands of very volatile and extremist population who only accept our help while it benefits them but after they're done needing us they'll go back to trying to kill us. Its absurd.

Bring arab nations into the alliance that is actively fighting ISIS? Never going to happen. The UAE and Saudis will not lift a finger unless ISIS comes after them directly.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2014, 9:05 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvRd17vXaXM[/youtube]

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2014, 9:50 pm

Dantac wrote:

Arm the rebels in Syria.. who themselves are for all facts and purposes Al-Q and a bunch of warlord wannabe and sectarian militias that dream of becoming the next ISIS/L . This never works and hasn't worked. The weapons supplied don't magically vanish if group X defeats Y, it remains in the hands of very volatile and extremist population who only accept our help while it benefits them but after they're done needing us they'll go back to trying to kill us. Its absurd.

Bring arab nations into the alliance that is actively fighting ISIS? Never going to happen. The UAE and Saudis will not lift a finger unless ISIS comes after them directly.

Well what should we expect from a guy who goes golfing after hearing that an American was beheaded by them. He was not kidding at all when he said he had no strategy! :roll:
Giving weapons to our enemies while saying we are also going to bomb them is a perfect example of our politicians non-existent brains at work. Especially if we have no business being there.

Last edited by AntDog on 11 Sep 2014, 7:29 am, edited 4 times in total.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 7:01 am

think it is just nuts that we continue to broadcast our intentions to our "enemies." Why dont we just send them flowers and chocolates too?

.... and this perspective;

http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/slee ... armageddon

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 7:16 am

^ what is nuts is that we think we can solve the middle east's "problems" with force. It is exactly this mindset that has led to IS in the first place. Have a look to Libya if you really think a quick airstrike or two will resolve this issue.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 7:24 am

^ what is nuts is that we think we can solve the middle east's "problems" with force. It is exactly this mindset that has led to IS in the first place. Have a look to Libya if you really think a quick airstrike or two will resolve this issue.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 10:13 am

DentArthurDent wrote:

So what's the alternative? Letting the ISIS people continue with their ethnic cleansing and executions?
And Libya is a lot less worse off than Syria and the ISIS regions.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 10:23 am

trollcatman wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:

So what's the alternative?

Peace and love?

Spectacles
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Sep 2014, 4:50 pm

Humanaut wrote:
trollcatman wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:

So what's the alternative?

Peace and love?

Yes to DenArthurDent, and yes to Humanaut :flower: Force should only be a short term strategy when extreme situations force all other options off the table. Force doesn't work well as a long term solution to deeply-embedded cultural tensions.

Longshanks
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 5:11 pm

Dantac wrote:

You know that, and so do I. And yes, I consider my cousin to be a fool. But who's more foolish? The fool or the fools who elected the fool?

Supporter of the Brian Terry Foundation @ www.honorbrianterry.com. Special Agent Brian Terry (1970-2010) was murdered as a direct result of Operation Fast & Furious - which Barry O won't discuss - wonder why?

Longshanks
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 5:11 pm

Dantac wrote:

You know that, and so do I. And yes, I consider my cousin to be a fool. But who's more foolish? The fool or the fools who elected the fool?

Supporter of the Brian Terry Foundation @ www.honorbrianterry.com. Special Agent Brian Terry (1970-2010) was murdered as a direct result of Operation Fast & Furious - which Barry O won't discuss - wonder why?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 8:53 pm

Longshanks wrote:
Dantac wrote:

No, the fools are the ones who elected Dubya who got us into this mess in the Middle East in the first place by destabilizing the region, then who went on to vote for Mitt the plastic Mormon with all his class hatred and betrayal of his formerly progressive ideals.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 9:01 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Longshanks wrote:
Dantac wrote:

No, the fools are the ones who elected Dubya who got us into this mess in the Middle East in the first place by destabilizing the region, then who went on to vote for Mitt the plastic Mormon with all his class hatred and betrayal of his formerly progressive ideals.

:roll:
Are you really so partisan as to believe that things are that much better with having Obama instead of Romney in office?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 9:10 pm

Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Longshanks wrote:
Dantac wrote:

:roll:
Are you really so partisan as to believe that things are that much better with having Obama instead of Romney in office?

Well, now we'll never have to find out.
But seriously, Romney was so eager to sell his soul (divest himself of any progressive ideals he had once held) to garner the favor of the far right that I think it possible we'd see a disastrous turn to the right in this country. If I'm wrong, why didn't he moderate his platform after he had won the Republican nomination? The guy was going to dismantle the Affordable Care Act, which he was the grandfather of, with his own state level healthcare policy.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 9:36 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
[
Well, now we'll never have to find out.
If he had won we would have been treated to 4 years of the sky is falling in this forum.

Quote:
But seriously, Romney was so eager to sell his soul (divest himself of any progressive ideals he had once held) to garner the favor of the far right that I think it possible we'd see a disastrous turn to the right in this country. If I'm wrong, why didn't he moderate his platform after he had won the Republican nomination? The guy was going to dismantle the Affordable Care Act, which he was the grandfather of, with his own state level healthcare policy.

I'll admit that the GOP seriously does need to trim its sails for the 21st century and appeal to a wider slice of the electorate.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 9:26 am

Raptor wrote:
If he had won we would have been treated to 4 years of the sky is falling in this forum.

As opposed to what we have now?

the sky is falling is the standard response of whichever party loses the presidency.