Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2014, 3:58 pm

While sitting at pharmacy waiting for prescription yesterday a man tried to browbeat my sister into voting Republican. The pharmacist stepped in and shut him down. Well done!!

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2014, 4:03 pm

There is a time and a place for campaigning, that is not one of them.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2014, 5:14 pm

How can a stranger browbeat anybody to vote for anybody in America?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2014, 5:20 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

That's just it, they can't.
Or I could say that no one that would allow themselves to be browbeat to vote one way or the other is worthy of voting.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2014, 6:42 pm

Yesterday the phone rang and the caller ID said Republican haha.I went ahead and answered it,just so I could annoy them back.The man asked if I would consider voting for a certain three candidates,I told him I'd vote for one of them,but I'd be dammed if I'd vote for Tom Cotton.The man laughed when I told him that,at least he did appreciate honesty.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2014, 6:51 pm

Raptor wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Or I could say that no one that would allow themselves to be browbeat to vote one way or the other is worthy of voting.

He was trying to intimidate her, feeding her unsolicited propaganda, asking about her voting habits and grilling her on political information. All with a right wing slant. You do not do that to people in public places. He is lucky I was not present.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2014, 6:54 pm

I am hoping that my local Conservative candidate is standing outside when I go to vote on the 4th so I can call her a Fascist moron to her face.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2014, 7:09 pm

khaoz wrote:
Raptor wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

He was trying to intimidate her, feeding her unsolicited propaganda, asking about her voting habits and grilling her on political information. All with a right wing slant. You do not do that to people in public places. He is lucky I was not present.

Surely, no democrat would ever dream of doing such a heinous thing.
:roll:

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

22 Oct 2014, 9:04 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Yesterday the phone rang and the caller ID said Republican haha.I went ahead and answered it,just so I could annoy them back.The man asked if I would consider voting for a certain three candidates,I told him I'd vote for one of them,but I'd be dammed if I'd vote for Tom Cotton.The man laughed when I told him that,at least he did appreciate honesty.

Tom Cotton sucks, he's planning on taking up the neocon mantle when McCain gets retired in 2 years

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2014, 9:22 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
There is a time and a place for campaigning, that is not one of them.

and the dems think its either when i'm eating dinner at 11 pm at night. and then there's the emails, letters and fliers.
don't want to tell them i'm not voting dem but can't lie so its a find line I walk telling them i'm undecided.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2014, 9:24 pm

Why does the pharmacist care how your sister votes? That's creepy - you can take your business elsewhere.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2014, 10:11 pm

Raptor wrote:
khaoz wrote:
Raptor wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Surely, no democrat would ever dream of doing such a heinous thing.
:roll:

If I witnessed it I would condemn it and address it personally. I would have had no problem if this person, or anyone else were simply to say "Don't forget to vote...", but badgering people, and asking them who they vote for, especially in such an instance where that person is merely doing personal business in a retail establishment is unacceptable. I know right wing extremists have no boundaries or sense of honour or decorum, but I do.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2014, 6:00 am

This incident has nothing to do with politics. That guy just has an aggressive proselytizer personality. People with that personality will aggressively proselytize captive audience strangers with whatever they happen to be passionate about. It might be politics left or right, it might be religion (or less commonly, atheism).

I dread being in a public space with such types. As an introvert I just glare and shake my head "no". Extroverts seem better able to shut them down with a minimum of fuss and without actually engaging. But sometimes two aggressive proselytizers with opposite opinions encounter each other by chance and then things get ugly. Don't be that guy 8O . The police sometimes have to be called to get a handle on the ensuing chaos.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2014, 8:11 am

Janissy wrote:
This incident has nothing to do with politics. That guy just has an aggressive proselytizer personality. People with that personality will aggressively proselytize captive audience strangers with whatever they happen to be passionate about. It might be politics left or right, it might be religion (or less commonly, atheism).

I dread being in a public space with such types. As an introvert I just glare and shake my head "no". Extroverts seem better able to shut them down with a minimum of fuss and without actually engaging. But sometimes two aggressive proselytizers with opposite opinions encounter each other by chance and then things get ugly. Don't be that guy 8O . The police sometimes have to be called to get a handle on the ensuing chaos.

I only know from experience that had I been present, his actions would have "triggered" a response from me. My sister is uneducated and knows less about politics than a cockroach knows about quantum physics. I at least would have been able to shut him down with knowledge and would not have felt intimidated and violated the way my sister was.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2014, 8:26 am

Janissy wrote:

I tend to agree completely with this. Some people, and I know and have known plenty of them, are so passionate and dogmatic about anything they do, any philosophy they have, or any product they use that they HAVE to press it on everyone they encounter. It doesn?t matter whether it?s conservative vs. liberal, Ford vs. Toyota, Dell vs. HP, chardonnay vs. gewürztraminer, or Christian vs. Atheist they HAVE to try and convert whoever they encounter and strike up a conversation with. There is no malice or ill intent, just an excessive desire to spread whatever gospel that?s on their mind.

Really, the theme of this thread is; ?look how evil and unprincipled those despicable conservatives are!

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2014, 8:41 am

Raptor wrote:
Janissy wrote:

I tend to agree completely with this. Some people, and I know and have known plenty of them, are so passionate and dogmatic about anything they do, any philosophy they have, or any product they use that they HAVE to press it on everyone they encounter. It doesn?t matter whether it?s conservative vs. liberal, Ford vs. Toyota, Dell vs. HP, chardonnay vs. gewürztraminer, or Christian vs. Atheist they HAVE to try and convert whoever they encounter and strike up a conversation with. There is no malice or ill intent, just an excessive desire to spread whatever gospel that?s on their mind.

Really, the theme of this thread is; ?look how evil and unprincipled those despicable conservatives are!

No, that is not the theme. This guy happened to be Conservative but I would have reacted the same had he been a Liberal or Independent.

I am old school. It is taboo to tell someone how they should vote. Just encouragement to vote is enough. It is fine to engage in political discourse but not to outright tell someone who they should vote for. It would suit me just fine if society reverted back to the days where people kept their religion and their politics to themselves. I don't NEED to engage in discourse on these topics, even though I admit to sometimes getting carried away. It would not disturb me the least were this PPR forum was eliminated from the site. I think these topics are "triggers" for a lot of people, including myself. We would be a saner society if we could just allow our fingers to do our talking at the polls and pews instead of in public forums.