GOP wins control of US Senate and other 2014 election stufff

Page 4 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 4:16 pm

Dox47 wrote:

Instant Runoff Voting, or IRV, is a good start. Under an IRV system, you don't just vote for a particular candidate, but rank them in order of preference, and as your top pick is eliminated, your vote transfers to the next one, until a winner is chosen. To use the 2000 elections as an example, someone wishing to vote for Nader but afraid to deny Gore their vote could have picked Nader 1 Gore 2, and after Nader was mathematically eliminated, their vote would have gone to Gore, thus allowing them to vote their conscience without fear of enabling the "greater evil". It's simple and effective, and it terrifies the major parties.

Big IRV fan here (for presidential elections, at least).

I am a big proponent of past point voting (PPV) for the House and Senate.

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 6:37 pm

2008 Obama "Change We Can Believe In"
2014 America "You Can Keep The Change"

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 6:46 pm

further proof that America is devolving.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 7:14 pm

New Bush brewing.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 7:16 pm

the same old rancid cups of the old bush brew. with a hint of Mole.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 7:21 pm

I miss George. What a great performer.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 7:35 pm

yeah he performed a number on us yanks, alright.

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 8:14 pm

Humanaut wrote:
New Bush brewing.

I DON'T want another Bush or Clinton. We might as well become a family run monarchy.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 8:15 pm

even the bush matriarch herself said that two bushes were quite enough. and I have mixed emotions about sen. warren running, she is needed more in the senate and I don't think the time is right for her to do an Obama.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

17 Dec 2014, 8:22 pm

You have to be insane to want another Bush or Clinton, American politics is a straight up joke if it elects either. May as well go back to being a monarchy at that point.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 8:24 pm

the most I can hope for, as an average American, is the lesser of two evils, and if that lesser evil is named Clinton, then so be it. I am not crazy enough to want a sure disenfranchisement should shrub II win this round.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 8:57 pm

AntDog wrote:
Humanaut wrote:
New Bush brewing.

I DON'T want another Bush or Clinton. We might as well become a family run monarchy.

That's my feelings as well.

I once got a telephone call as part of some kind of poll asking whether I would vote for a third Bush. I assume that it was Jeb Bush, but I really don't remember. In any event, I told them that two was enough.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 9:02 pm

auntblabby wrote:
the most I can hope for, as an average American, is the lesser of two evils, and if that lesser evil is named Clinton, then so be it. I am not crazy enough to want a sure disenfranchisement should shrub II win this round.

It doesn't matter whether they are Republican, Democrat, or something else -- it always irks me when people use names like that to run people into the ground. I'm clearly not a fan of President Obama, but I would never consider calling him pet names to run him down.

For that matter, I can't think of anyone in this entire country who I intentionally called names in that manner.

Why do you feel such a need to refer to President Bush as a shurb? Do you really have such a hard time showing respect to people?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 9:07 pm

eric76 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

It doesn't matter whether they are Republican, Democrat, or something else -- it always irks me when people use names like that to run people into the ground. I'm clearly not a fan of President Obama, but I would never consider calling him pet names to run him down. For that matter, I can't think of anyone in this entire country who I intentionally called names in that manner.
Why do you feel such a need to refer to President Bush as a shurb? Do you really have such a hard time showing respect to people?

molly ivins is the one who coined this nickname, "Shrub : The Short but Happy Political Life of George W. Bush." is that any worse than "slick willie"? :roll: IOW, give me a break, for Christ's sake. :roll:

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

17 Dec 2014, 9:28 pm

auntblabby wrote:

there is literally no difference, two sides of the same coin

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 9:33 pm

Jacoby wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

there is literally no difference, two sides of the same coin

I beg to differ, should the GOP win this round [I am betting on it] then my affordable health care will be taken from me. that is a FACT coming straight from the GOP mouth. and there will be NO equivalent replacement program. THAT is a fact. I [and 10s of millions of other working class folk] will be effectively disenfranchised. this will NOT happen should a democrat win, in that PPACA will be maintained.