Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

anthropic_principle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Nov 2014, 6:39 pm

because i wasn't indoctrinated and never felt the god idea made any sense..

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 10:44 pm

Matthaeus wrote:
Could you imagine a world without religion, like the John Lennon lyric?

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 10:49 pm

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 10:52 pm

I believe in some of the moral precepts of some religions.

I believe that man created religion to take a considerable amount of uncertainly away, especially as to the finite existence of any Sapient individual.

I like to study religion. I would like to read the Bible as an historical, genealogical, and philosophical work. I would like to study other religious texts which run along similar lines to the Bible.

I don't believe in a Supreme Being.

I'm curious as to whether a Superior Force, unconscious of its own existence, and which provides the catalyst which instigates all the mechanisms which underlie the universe, exists.

Matthaeus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 11:25 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm curious as to whether a Superior Force, unconscious of its own existence, and which provides the catalyst which instigates all the mechanisms which underlie the universe, exists.

Well, that has actually been the topic for as long as mankind exists. Personally, I think we'll never know the answer. If you believe in an after-life, you may probably then find out.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 12:18 am

I don't believe in a magical invisible bearded man in the sky who has insecurity and control issues let alone sky fairies.

Matthaeus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 12:29 am

That was just a myth invented to control the masses.

Orangez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2014, 12:36 am

I don't believe in god as it was just a tool to control people or explain the unexplainable. However, I really hate what atheism as they basic want to turn no belief into some kind of crazy religion of science.

Matthaeus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 12:38 am

Lack of belief in a supernatural entity doesn't necessarily mean making a religion out of science.

Orangez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2014, 12:42 am

Matthaeus wrote:
Lack of belief in a supernatural entity doesn't necessarily mean making a religion out of science.

I find that if you talk to a lot of atheist, they have some blind faith in science where as the point of science is to doubt everything including science itself.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 12:53 am

Science has disproven gods, take the egyptians and other more primative religions for example who were eventually borrowed by Christianity Judism and Islam, the earlier religions believed that the sun is a god but Astronomers discovered that the sun is a star aka a big burning ball of gas and nothing more. The Hawaiins beleive the their volcano is a god but disproven by geologists, volcanologists esspecially that they are merely volcanoes acting accordingly to their naturally occuring geologic activity.

slickbacksteve
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Nov 2014, 3:42 am

the universe is god. we are all a part of the universe, all a part of one being experiencing itself subjectively until we die and our physical bodies absorb back into the earth while our 'souls' fall into a higher dimension (the same one in which you're able to catch glimpses of during a vivid dream or during astral projection) and from there it is literally impossible to describe due to our minds not being able to fully comprehend it!(thatd be like a 1 dimensional line trying to understand the world of 3 dimensions)
*BOOOOM*

...actually i have no idea what im talking about. God isnt real. religion is dumb.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 4:06 am

Sure

Because I don't believe things. I know things.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 4:14 am

Orangez wrote:
Matthaeus wrote:

I find that if you talk to a lot of atheist, they have some blind faith in science where as the point of science is to doubt everything including science itself.

Science has no point other than discovery through empiricism. So it sounds like you're just as clueless as the atheists you're referring to. Science is definitely nothing like the skeptical schools of philosophy. The only link it has to skepticism is that a number of scientists are skeptical of anything outside the realm of empiricism. Not to mention that a number of scientists are theists too.

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 5:51 am

I never believe in statements, the only thing I take into account is facts. So I'm atheist.

If there would be facts that some god really exists - it may be a reason to take him for granted. Or not one but many gods - who said Woden, Poseidon, Ahura Mazda and Quetzalcoatl are worser then christian Jehovah or muslim Allah?

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Nov 2014, 7:06 am

Orangez wrote:
Matthaeus wrote:

Science produces tangible results and testable theories about how our universe operates. Religion, in its centuries of existence, hasn't.