Do you avoid posting comments about certain topics?

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Do you avoid posting comments about certain topics?
No, I don't care what others think of my posts. 42%  42%  [ 8 ]
Yes, if the topic is about religion. 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Yes, if the topic is about disclosing ASD status. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, if the topic is about partisan politics. 47%  47%  [ 9 ]
Yes, if the topic is about self diagnosis of ASDs. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, if the topic is about "masking." 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, if the topic is about causes of ASDs. 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 19

Orangez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Nov 2014, 1:14 am

I tend to not tell people how am pro-suicide as it is a very diffcult discussion to have since their are so many variables to consider. Other than that I am pretty liberal about how I talk about any social justice issue since people pro-social justice tend to a bit on the unreasonable side.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2014, 5:45 am

Yes. Or rather, I avoid replying to certain posters, because it feels like knocking my head against a metaphorical brick wall.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Nov 2014, 6:05 am

AspieUtah wrote:
As difficult as it might be to believe, I often avoid commenting in certain topics because of my perceived experiences of attempted intimidation by others about my comments. While this has decreased over the last couple months, I wonder if other WP members feel that they, too, avoid certain topics intentionally because of past experience with less-than-respectful disagreement by others.

I have made a 32-year political career IRL out of speaking out about all sorts of things, so it surprises me to see that certain topics on Wrong Planet (with and without my commentary involvement) result often in disrespectful claims, statements or innuendo by one or more antagonists based solely on the idea within the OP.

So, is it just me or are there others who let the chance of intimidation determine whether or not they comment in a topic?

Wait, you were a gay rights activist in Utah in the 80s, and you think WrongPlanet is lacking in respect? 8O

Do you think WP is particularly bad or just not as good as you'd hope?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2014, 10:07 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Wait, you were a gay rights activist in Utah in the 80s, and you think WrongPlanet is lacking in respect? 8O

Do you think WP is particularly bad or just not as good as you'd hope?

Hehe. I guess that I stepped in it there, huh? Well, politics are considerably different in Utah than elsewhere. I learned during the last few decades that Republicans (a.k.a. conservative Mormons) are generally more respectful of their opponents than their Democratic counterparts (a.k.a. anti-Mormons) are of theirs. As a legislative lobbyist, I accomplished much more with the Republican lawmakers than the Democrats. Democrats consider any slight infraction of party protocol (a.k.a. "don't do anything for yourselves, let us protect you, if and when we choose") cause for a lifelong sentence to some Old Testament-style shunning. I am still suffering under that silliness after I encouraged more LGBT party involvement and memberships than it ever enjoyed. While I disagree strongly about most aspects of all political parties, I see people as either good or bad regardless of their partisan affiliations. It was that realization that made working (being shunned) among my Democratic Party associates more and more difficult to accommodate.

More generally, Utahns divide themselves socially instead of politically (it IS a one-party state, after all, and distinctions are sought). As such, the LDS Church influences Utahns more than any party ever has, and, because of the work many LGBT activists have accomplished with it, Church leaders encourage, welcome and support their LGBT members. The official Church web site includes a section about LGBT Utahns and its policies about their membership within the Church. Since getting a worldwide legal and moral blackeye over Church financing of the California Prop 8 ballot initiative about marriage equality, Church leaders and policies have been remarkably friendly and supportive, and support LGBT-friendly nondiscrimination laws; much to the consternation of a plurality of anti-gay LDS members. The one, last point of contention within the Church is its opposition to marriage equality. Even there, Church leaders have called on both sides to treat each other fairly and respectfully. It appears that they know they have lost their morality battles since the 1970s, and are choosing a kind of peaceful seperatism over continued provocations.

I just wish the state's Democratic Party would do the same. But, I guess when any group has been defeated for so long, griping about who among themselves are "real" Democrats, and who aren't, is just about the only show in town. Everyone else has simply left the arena. As for Wrong Planet, I see several members choosing to put themselves in much the same position as Utah Democrats have by ridiculing and shunning others who might otherwise concur with them because the others don't apparently match up exactly to their expections.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 2:53 am

I will post about anything that interests me, or about anything/body that perturbs me. but there are certain folks I avoid whenever possible because no common cause exists between us.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Nov 2014, 5:16 am

Really interesting post, David. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 3:16 pm

Fnord wrote:
I avoid posting replies in The Haven because I'm more of a problem-solver than a hand-holder.

I'm not sure I've ever even ventured in there.

I'm not sure there's any topics I avoid commenting on out of concerns over how I will be perceived. There's ones I won't comment on due to lack of interest.

If the topic is poorly framed I will sometimes not bother with commenting. It's not always worth the effort to try to explain to someone how they're not even wrong. :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 3:22 pm

if somebody is hurting in the haven or elsewhere I have to try to atone or help them in my normal clumsy way. but if it is a woman posting, I have learned that, for the most part, I best leave the responses up to others less gauche than me, for no matter what I say, no matter how careful and egg-shell-walking I am being, it will cause offense somehow, just make things worse. I seem to have something in me of which many women are allergic.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 4:00 pm

Only factional politics, which all too often become fanatical politics. Someone attacked me, my sanity, my country, and my right to have a different opinion because they didn't agree with a political view I held. It was the nastiest poster I have encountered on WP and I would not interact with that person again. They are beneath contempt, incapable of weighing different viewpoints and see no difference between responding to the message (which they invariably distort or sectionalise) and attacking the messenger. Creeps.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 5:39 pm

Islam is definitely a topic I will avoid, and I'm sure there are Muslims out there who are incredibly nice. That being said I kind of roll my eyes whenever people keep saying that Islam is a religion of peace. :roll: After doing some research on the very beginning of Islam I find it hard to call it a religion of peace.

SoMissunderstood
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2015, 4:33 am

The topics I avoid discussing anywhere and at all include:

1. Homosexuality
2. Capital Punishment
3. Gun Control
4. Partisan Politics (which I voted for)
5. Smacking Children &
6. Immigration and Race Issues (recently added to my list of 'no go' areas)

This is because my views don't represent the majority of views regarding these issues and I am in the 1% of people with strong opinions about them and thus my posts get ridiculed by libertarians.