Page 3 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 9:35 pm

QueenSillyGoose wrote:
seriously, i'm wondering what do you think.

Our consciousness ceases to function and our bodies decompose. Every atom of our bodies will be recycled in due course. Nothing will go to waste. We, like all other living things on this planet are physical beings. We are made up of atoms, which manage to gather together and function for a limited period of time. Before we were born we did not exist as persons and after we die we shall not exist as persons so try not to worry about it too much.

ruvern

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 10:32 pm

QueenSillyGoose wrote:
seriously, i'm wondering what do you think.

Fair enough then.

After we die, there is nothing further. The world will go on, but we will not. Our bodies will be reclaimed by the earth.

I remember watching an interview with Carl Sagan's wife. When Sagan died, she grew tired of people saying things like, he's gone to a better place, or someday you will be together again. She mourned his loss but did not look to false hopes to make her feel better.

Make the most of this life - it's the only one you'll have. There's no do over. And this is not an audition for the next life.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

QueenSillyGoose
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Dec 2014, 2:14 pm

Nambo wrote:
The word soul actually means "life as a breather", its talking about the living entity, not some mysterious creature that live inside you and retains your memories even when a damaged brain cannot do so.

this is true, as far as i know. the word for "soul" and the word for "breath" are the same word in Hebrew. the Jewish belief is that God metaphorically (or physically, if you will) breathed a soul into every human being. it doesnt count for grasshoppers and trees, i'm pretty sure. i dont think animals have a share in the World to Come.

the way i see it, death isnt the end. what do we live for, in that case? i believe that God gave us free will and the power to do what we want with our lives. we have a limited time to live, so we need to make our own choices about what to do with our puny human existences. afterwards - i see it as a chance to rest from all the work we put in throughout our lives, a kind of perpetual Sabbath day. (wow i'm such a religious person LOL)

anyway, i'm digging the discussion. it's not what i expected, but definitely interesting. i like hearing everyone's views.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 4:55 pm

I tend to believe that the energy that animates us ("soul") becomes part of the larger energy of the universe and our essence inhabits a new existence.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 11:30 pm

androbot01 wrote:
I tend to believe that the energy that animates us ("soul") becomes part of the larger energy of the universe and our essence inhabits a new existence.

A more fitting word for "the energy that animates us" is Spirit, I often wonder why the word Spirit rather than Soul wasn't used to perpetuate the Devils original lie that one does not die.

Here is a Biblical example of the word Spirit as opposed to Soul

3:20 All go to one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again.
3:21 Who knows the spirit of man that goes upward, and the spirit of the beast that goes downward to the earth?

einsteinmyhero
Toucan
Toucan

04 Dec 2014, 8:01 am

I'm an atheist,but I think there's enough to convince me of ghosthood. almost enough.

“Men passionately desire to live after death, but they often pass away without noticing the fact that the memory of a really good person always lives. It is impressed upon the next generation, and is transmitted again to the children. Is that not an immortality worth striving for? ”
― Pyotr Kropotkin, Memoirs of a Revolutionist

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 9:00 am

This kind of topic does bring out the clichés.

badgerface
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Dec 2014, 9:15 am

Nothing. Just like any other living organism, nothing. Death. The end. Absolutely no reason whatsoever to fear it, because there will be no capacity to fear or feel anything because you'll be dead. How did you feel the day a Meteorite struck the Earth and triggered the mass extinction of the Dinosaurs? You'll feel the same. Basic knowledge of the Human Brain and its functions and behaviour when deprived of oxygen/in a dying state is more than enough to explain any supposed "near death experiences" or hallucinations. It is only because our evolved Primate brains have developed the ability to understand death and question it, and fear it have we as a species asked the question, and more importantly made up the answers. Religion is a significant driving force in the notion of an "afterlife", conditioning people to live their lives in a certain way, controlling them by holding over them a threat of eternal damnation verses a hollow promise and falsehood of eternal reward.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 10:17 am

This.
"The worms crawl in,the worms crawl out.
They crawl in your bottom and out your mouth."

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 10:24 am

Yup, sad so many folks choose metal boxes and fiery cremation when there are so many deserving and humble hungry worms and other dead human carcass eaters in the world. Dam, humans can be so inconsiderate at times with all their anti-nature mythologies..;)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

b9
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 10:36 am

nothing goes on forever, but simultaneously, nothing can not exist.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

04 Dec 2014, 12:45 pm

Here is a goofy one, I'm going to throw out there. Biblical demonic possessions.

This is like the energizer bunny. It keeps going, and going, and going :D .

It takes over the mind, and never ever dies. :tongue:

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 5:16 pm

aghogday wrote:
Yup, sad so many folks choose metal boxes and fiery cremation when there are so many deserving and humble hungry worms and other dead human carcass eaters in the world. Dam, humans can be so inconsiderate at times with all their anti-nature mythologies..;)

I like the thing some native American tribes did... wrap the body up and leave it up in a tree. Nice view.. good carrion for other creatures. :wink:

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

04 Dec 2014, 6:26 pm

Narrator wrote:
aghogday wrote:

I like the thing some native American tribes did... wrap the body up and leave it up in a tree. Nice view.. good carrion for other creatures. :wink:

I prefer wicking. I want to be wicked. Unfortunately it is not a legal process. :(

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 6:54 pm

Sometimes your corpse poops upon dying.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 8:42 pm

Narrator wrote:
aghogday wrote:

:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick