Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Page 3 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 11:39 am

aghogday wrote:
@Gnostic Bishop.. per your last comment to me above.. yes.. per your definition of Gnostic Christianity i could be considered one and same...

And yes.. per just tonight.. while reading in a book store in a similar style of TAI CHI dance while listening to music..all at the same time..a fundamentalist John 3:16 pushing guy who believes that Jesus is the ONLY SON OF GOD OR YOU ARE GOING TO HELL and dance is the way of the 'DEVIL' TOO.. attempted to FORCE THAT ON ME..

And i unleashed the righteous indignation of so many thousands of people who have died at the 'Sword of Constantine' for insisting that we are are all sons and daughters of GOD and Jesus was NOT SUGGESTING he was the ONLY SON OF GOD.

SO YEAH..

i'm on board with that...

TRUST ME.. THEY DON'T WANT TO LOOK INTO MY EYES.. when they ARE LIT UP WITH RIGHTEOUS INDIGNATION..

THE guy suggested i was the DEVIL INCARNATE WHEN i took my shades off and showed him those eyes of righteous indignation..:)

HE WILL NEVER FORGET.. ME.. i kid you not... :)

The power is within.. AND UNMISTAKABLE FOR THOSE WHO 'SEE' 'IT'.

Thanks for this. I agree and mine goes to my whole face.

Have you seen or developed a creed?

I have found this but do not agree with all the points. I do agree with 1 and 2.

http://www.thesongofgod.com/tgc/basic_beliefs.html

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 11:44 am

Narrator wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
Narrator wrote:
Whether Gnostic or any other brand of Christianity... whether any brand of god-belief at all... it's all a human construct and has no more place in this world than belief in witchcraft once did.

I disagree on sociological grounds.

Man is a tribal creature and will have his tribe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T64_El2s7FU

I promote a non-misogynist religion for those who need a tribe.

To keep our mainstream backward thinking religions without demanding that they catch up to non-supernatural and moral thinking is also what I promote.

Regards
DL

To some degree, I have to agree with you. Except that we are tribal in a similar way to the creatures we evolved from. (The Bonobo monkeys are a great example.) The trouble with human tribalism is that, to influence the tribe, fantasies have been invented about good vs evil, afterlife and various demons. We're more sophisticated creatures, so our tribalism will reflect that, but it also leaves us open to superstitious nonsense that Bonobos and Neanderthals would never dreamed of. (Then again, maybe Neanderthals had some superstitions too. :P )

I would love to be part of a functional, non-superstitious tribe. But then again, my Asperger's would be in conflict with that. I guess that's why I love the Internet.. lol

Your social interaction and judgement seems to work ok so I would question whoever diagnosed you and look for another opinion.

Regards
DL

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 12:13 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:
aghogday wrote:
@Gnostic Bishop.. per your last comment to me above.. yes.. per your definition of Gnostic Christianity i could be considered one and same...

And yes.. per just tonight.. while reading in a book store in a similar style of TAI CHI dance while listening to music..all at the same time..a fundamentalist John 3:16 pushing guy who believes that Jesus is the ONLY SON OF GOD OR YOU ARE GOING TO HELL and dance is the way of the 'DEVIL' TOO.. attempted to FORCE THAT ON ME..

And i unleashed the righteous indignation of so many thousands of people who have died at the 'Sword of Constantine' for insisting that we are are all sons and daughters of GOD and Jesus was NOT SUGGESTING he was the ONLY SON OF GOD.

SO YEAH..

TRUST ME.. THEY DON'T WANT TO LOOK INTO MY EYES.. when they ARE LIT UP WITH RIGHTEOUS INDIGNATION..

THE guy suggested i was the DEVIL INCARNATE WHEN i took my shades off and showed him those eyes of righteous indignation..:)

I have found this but do not agree with all the points. I do agree with 1 and 2.

Regards
DL

You are welcome and my creed continues to evolve with experience and what i discern as truth.

I do agree with some of the creed you provided a link to but the human centric taste of it considering how large the Universe is and relatively speaking how little 'we' know about it, does not ring true to me.

I'm too small to know it all and big enough to admit it. :)

But i strive to keep growing as a child of GOD and as a part of GOD, too. :)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 12:51 pm

aghogday wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
aghogday wrote:

SO YEAH..

Regards
DL

You are welcome and my creed continues to evolve with experience and what i discern as truth.

I do agree with some of the creed you provided a link to but the human centric taste of it considering how large the Universe is and relatively speaking how little 'we' know about it, does not ring true to me.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... /mary.html

For where the mind is, there is the treasure.

The Saviour answered and said, 'He does not see through the soul nor through the spirit, but the mind which [is] between the two - that is [what] sees the vision...'

Matthew 6:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Jesus indicates that it is all about being human centric.

John 10; 33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

---------------------------------
Psalm 82 King James Version (KJV)

82 God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.
6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

aghogday You say you are a child of God yet do not seem to recognize what that means.

Have you forgotten that you are a child of God?

Are you a father? Do you wish for your child to be less than yourself?

I hope you say no to that and that you want your child to become more than whatever you are.

As above so below.

What makes you think that God the Father wants less than himself for his children?

Does your creator God not create for the best possible end?

Regards
DL

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 1:23 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:
aghogday wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
aghogday wrote:

SO YEAH..

Regards
DL

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... /mary.html

For where the mind is, there is the treasure.

The Saviour answered and said, 'He does not see through the soul nor through the spirit, but the mind which [is] between the two - that is [what] sees the vision...'

Matthew 6:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Jesus indicates that it is all about being human centric.

John 10; 33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

---------------------------------
Psalm 82 King James Version (KJV)

82 God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.
6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

aghogday You say you are a child of God yet do not seem to recognize what that means.

Have you forgotten that you are a child of God?

Are you a father? Do you wish for your child to be less than yourself?

I hope you say no to that and that you want your child to become more than whatever you are.

As above so below.

What makes you think that God the Father wants less than himself for his children?

Does your creator God not create for the best possible end?

Regards
DL

Perhaps you misunderstand my intention in my communication as I am not saying that I am not a child of GOD what i am saying is that my cat is a child of GOD also.

The BIGGEST difference between my cat and I is I can question this, and he lives it. SO PERHAPS HIS SMALLER DIFFERENCE IS HIS TRUE BLESSING FROM GOD PER THE ROADBLOCK OF BEING A CHILD OF GOD AND NEO-CORTICAL CONTROL OF LINGERING ON THE PAST AND FORECASTING THE FUTURE that sadly enough most humans face per the eye of culture as the eye to the needle and the human as the camel of illusion of abstract language and complex culture.

And of course when I say human centric I am referring to an entire Universe of Living beings, of which human is not necessarily of any more importance of a child of GOD than 'THEY'.

THE link you quoted indicated that silly little humans although they may be children of GOD believe they are superior in this way to all other existence.

To me that is the most anti-thetical way of being against the GOD of ALL THAT IS THAT IS POSSIBLE.

AND IF THE REAL MAN JESUS MEANT THAT, I SIMPLY DO NOT AGREE WITH HIM, AND HE TOO IF AT ALL ENLIGHTENED WOULD LIKELY NOT DISAGREE THAT ANYONE COULD FURTHER EXPAND ON THE TRUTH HE SAW AS JUST A CHILD OF GOD BUT NOT THE WHOLE DAM THING THAT IS GOD AS ALL THAT IS.

AND IN MY OPINION THAT IS THE METAPHORICAL TRUTH OF HIS MESSAGE PER THE GNOSTIC WAY OF KNOWING PER AS ABOVE SO BELOW WITH THE TRUTH COMING FROM WITHIN AND OUTSIDE AS WELL.

BUT YES i could be wrong, but No I doubt IT, and again, I am not toO BIG to admit how small i am NO MATTER IF i am A CHILD OF GOD OR NOT. :)

But imagine this if you can. Although of course it is highly unlikely but not @ALL impossible considering the juvenile nature to date of the total knowledge of human being, perhaps one day a highly advanced spiritually and technological race of much different living creatures per species will arrive on earth by whatever method their technology or way of life provides.

Are you going to be the one that tells them face to face that you as human being are only a child of GOD and they not per species difference.

Well if so you are the dude in the book store pushing John 3:16 in that scenario and I mean no offense by this.

But exclusion is exclusion and GOD IS NOT THE GOD OF EXCLUSION.

AND THAT'S EASY TO SEE AS FAR AS THE AIDED HUMAN EYE CAN SEE AS ABOVE SO BELOW PER THE GOLDEN SPIRAL THAT PATTERNS GALAXIES SPIRALING AROUND BLACK HOLES TO THE SUBATOMIC QUANTUM LEVEL PER GOLDEN MEANED RATIO OF 1.618.

YES HUMANS ARE SMART ENOUGH TO SEE GOD NOW, FINALLY, EVEN AT THE LEVEL OF MATERIAL REDUCTIONISM AT THE CURRENT ART OF SCIENCE, AS QUANTUM MECHANICS IS TRULY ART AND GOD IS MORE ART THAN FACTS, ALL THINGS TAKEN INTO CONSIDERATION, PER THE STATE OF SCIENCE NOW.

GOD IS ART AND AN AMAZING SKETCH @THAT PER ALL OF CREATION ANIMATE AND INANIMATE MOVING IN SPACE.

AND THE COOLEST thing of all is now human can see IT too, for those who have eyes of GOD truly without exclusion.

And sincerely I tell you this with all due respect. :)

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 5:12 pm

I have studied a lot of gnostic writings in the past but ultimately it didn't work out for me. I didn't see the point of replacing one set of myths with another. Though I definitely find it more palatable then modern American Christianity.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 7:16 pm

aghogday wrote:
[

Thanks for this.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 7:23 pm

Cash__ wrote:
I have studied a lot of gnostic writings in the past but ultimately it didn't work out for me. I didn't see the point of replacing one set of myths with another. Though I definitely find it more palatable then modern American Christianity.

From a moral standpoint for sure.

Because many are so used to Christianity, I use what Jesus said a fair bit to try to show that any belief that you might have, be it Christianity, Gnostic Christianity or none at all, can be internalized to activate your pineal gland and your higher mind.

https://www.ted.com/talks/iain_mcgilchr ... ided_brain

The thinking shown below is the Gnostic Christian’s goal as taught by Jesus but know that any belief can be internalized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRNbes ... r_embedded

This method and mind set is how you become I am and brethren to Jesus, in the esoteric sense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdSVl_HOo8Y

When you can name your God, I am, and mean yourself, you will begin to know the only God you will ever find. Becoming a God is to become more fully human.

Regards
DL

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 8:10 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:
Cash__ wrote:

From a moral standpoint for sure.

Because many are so used to Christianity, I use what Jesus said a fair bit to try to show that any belief that you might have, be it Christianity, Gnostic Christianity or none at all, can be internalized to activate your pineal gland and your higher mind.

https://www.ted.com/talks/iain_mcgilchr ... ided_brain

The thinking shown below is the Gnostic Christian’s goal as taught by Jesus but know that any belief can be internalized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRNbes ... r_embedded

This method and mind set is how you become I am and brethren to Jesus, in the esoteric sense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdSVl_HOo8Y

When you can name your God, I am, and mean yourself, you will begin to know the only God you will ever find. Becoming a God is to become more fully human.

Regards
DL

I am familiar with gnostic teachings and I watched the above video's anyways. It is still all irrelevant to my life. I have no desire to become another Christ or Christ's brethren. I am fully human. I don't need a school of teachings to teach me this stuff. Its irrelevant to my life. All the power to you if it works for you.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 11:08 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:
aghogday wrote:
[

Thanks for this.

Regards
DL

You are welcome. :)

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 1:35 am

GnosticBishop wrote:
Narrator wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
Narrator wrote:
Whether Gnostic or any other brand of Christianity... whether any brand of god-belief at all... it's all a human construct and has no more place in this world than belief in witchcraft once did.

I disagree on sociological grounds.

Man is a tribal creature and will have his tribe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T64_El2s7FU

I promote a non-misogynist religion for those who need a tribe.

To keep our mainstream backward thinking religions without demanding that they catch up to non-supernatural and moral thinking is also what I promote.

Regards
DL

To some degree, I have to agree with you. Except that we are tribal in a similar way to the creatures we evolved from. (The Bonobo monkeys are a great example.) The trouble with human tribalism is that, to influence the tribe, fantasies have been invented about good vs evil, afterlife and various demons. We're more sophisticated creatures, so our tribalism will reflect that, but it also leaves us open to superstitious nonsense that Bonobos and Neanderthals would never dreamed of. (Then again, maybe Neanderthals had some superstitions too. :P )

I would love to be part of a functional, non-superstitious tribe. But then again, my Asperger's would be in conflict with that. I guess that's why I love the Internet.. lol

Your social interaction and judgement seems to work ok so I would question whoever diagnosed you and look for another opinion.

Regards
DL

If only that were true. :wink: a) In my 5+ decades I have learned how to consider a response before I make it, b) I'm terrible face to face, c) poor social interaction is a stereotypical trait, and d) a single trait does not an ASD make. :P
Cheers

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 2:45 am

If you're into good fiction, Sara Douglas wrote a great trilogy fantasy series called The Troy Game. It turns out to be a Gnostic story, and an enjoyable read.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 9:15 pm

Narrator wrote:
If you're into good fiction, Sara Douglas wrote a great trilogy fantasy series called The Troy Game. It turns out to be a Gnostic story, and an enjoyable read.

Thanks for this.
I will look it up now.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 9:16 pm

Cash__ wrote:
[
I am familiar with gnostic teachings and I watched the above video's anyways. It is still all irrelevant to my life. I have no desire to become another Christ or Christ's brethren. I am fully human. I don't need a school of teachings to teach me this stuff. Its irrelevant to my life. All the power to you if it works for you.

I return the sentiment.

Regards
DL

ksf777
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Dec 2014, 4:27 am

Has anyone read "Not In His Image" by John Lamb Lash?