Flat Earth Society and Young Earth Creationists

Page 2 of 11 [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 7:45 am

The earth is flat, young and also hollow. It was baked in a pizza oven, rests on an empty mixing bowl and will be cut into 4 slices, not 8, because God doesn't think he could eat all 8. And it is still quite young because God doesn't like cold pizza. Then the bowl will later be used by the Flying Spaghetti Monster for making pasta. The stars are really just Parmesan cheese, waiting to be sprinkled on the pasta.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

einsteinmyhero
Toucan
Toucan

04 Dec 2014, 7:55 am

Xanthic~Rain wrote:
one of my favorite quotes:

"Only two things are infinite, the Universe, and Human Stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
--Einstein

I agree :D

“Men passionately desire to live after death, but they often pass away without noticing the fact that the memory of a really good person always lives. It is impressed upon the next generation, and is transmitted again to the children. Is that not an immortality worth striving for? ”
― Pyotr Kropotkin, Memoirs of a Revolutionist

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 6:55 pm

Humanaut wrote:
The Flat Hollow Global Warming Young Earth and Moon Creationist Time Travellers Society

Join today!

Sorry I need to add some scientology in there.

The Flat Hollow Global Warming Xenu-populated young Earth and Moon Creationist Time Travellers Society.

There. Now I'll join.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 7:21 pm

The Flat Hollow Global Warming Xenu-populated young Earth and Moon Creationist Illuminati Time Travellers Society.

Sasquatch "Bigfoot" Yeti, Chairperson

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 7:59 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/cms/ Oh my goodness I cant believe people still think the world is flat its just as bad as those Young Earth Creationists with their creation museum http://creationmuseum.org/about/ all a waste of money. What next a Hollow Earth Society?......egads theres one as well http://www.astralsociety.net/hollow-earth-theory/ I am probably going to considered a jerk for saying this but these have got to be the stupidest people to ever walk the Earth.

The flat earth society is like the pastafarians. They don't really believe in the flying spaghetti monster, although they will infinitely claim they do in some cases. The same is true with the modern incarnation of the Flat Earth Society.
The Flat Earth Society was originally based on biblical pseudoscience, just like creationism. The society died and was revived half a dozen times and changed it's name several times. The last incarnation of the society was more of a drinking club. This incarnation is, well... an online fad mostly.

Now creationists... they tend to be conspiracy-minded and tend to be heavily superstitious and trust most pseudosciences. They also tend to use fear to put their little "theory" into the hearts and minds of their congregation. I remember sitting in Sunday school being told about how I'm going to hell for not being a creationist.

Actually ideas from the Flat Earth Society and Hollow Earth Theory would actually make great settings for video games, so at least they aren't entirely useless.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 11:27 pm

Lets not forget a lot of these hollow Earthers believe there are ancient civilizations spying on us and that the goverment is run by shapeshifting reptilians running the illuminati. :P

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 12:37 am

Cryptozoologists, scientologists, shapeshifting reptilians, and relativistic muons added to the VIP list.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 12:44 am

Protogenoi wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/cms/ Oh my goodness I cant believe people still think the world is flat its just as bad as those Young Earth Creationists with their creation museum http://creationmuseum.org/about/ all a waste of money. What next a Hollow Earth Society?......egads theres one as well http://www.astralsociety.net/hollow-earth-theory/ I am probably going to considered a jerk for saying this but these have got to be the stupidest people to ever walk the Earth.

The flat earth society is like the pastafarians. They don't really believe in the flying spaghetti monster, although they will infinitely claim they do in some cases. The same is true with the modern incarnation of the Flat Earth Society.
The Flat Earth Society was originally based on biblical pseudoscience, just like creationism. The society died and was revived half a dozen times and changed it's name several times. The last incarnation of the society was more of a drinking club. This incarnation is, well... an online fad mostly.

That's what I assume. I know of The Flat Earth Society solely because Thomas Dolby is a proud member (an honorary member, for having a song/album entitled "The Flat Earth"), and he's very tongue-in-cheek about it. While I'm certain there are some people of questionable sanity who still believe the world is flat, I doubt any of them are involved with an organized group like TFES. Their site reads more like satire.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 3:11 am

Skibz888 wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:

That's what I assume. I know of The Flat Earth Society solely because Thomas Dolby is a proud member (an honorary member, for having a song/album entitled "The Flat Earth"), and he's very tongue-in-cheek about it. While I'm certain there are some people of questionable sanity who still believe the world is flat, I doubt any of them are involved with an organized group like TFES. Their site reads more like satire.
There are actually people 100% serious that the world is flat and challenge anyone otherwise and anyone who does they claim they are trolling them even though the facts are laid out in front of their faces that the world is round roflmao!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 5:53 am

You can actually test it out for yourself. Put a one meter stick in the ground and measure the length of the shadow at noon. Call someone who lives further north or south and ask him to do the same. If the length of the shadow is the same, you live on a flat earth. If lengths are different, the earth is curved.
Here's a clip with Carl Sagan explaining it with a piece of paper and two sticks. And when you know the distance between the sticks and the angles of the shadows, you can even calculate the circumference of the earth.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 6:15 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
There are actually people 100% serious that the world is flat and challenge anyone otherwise and anyone who does they claim they are trolling them even though the facts are laid out in front of their faces that the world is round roflmao!

Like I said, it doesn't surprise me. Every conspiracy theory has its supporters. I'm just certain that The Flat Earth Society in itself is a satirical organization, or simply a group for people who are intrigued by the theory of a flat Earth.

Either way...Thomas Dolby's 'The Flat Earth' was a great album, and that's all that really matters. :P

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 7:34 am

trollcatman wrote:
You can actually test it out for yourself. Put a one meter stick in the ground and measure the length of the shadow at noon. Call someone who lives further north or south and ask him to do the same. If the length of the shadow is the same, you live on a flat earth. If lengths are different, the earth is curved.
Here's a clip with Carl Sagan explaining it with a piece of paper and two sticks. And when you know the distance between the sticks and the angles of the shadows, you can even calculate the circumference of the earth.

But, as Sagan even admits in that film clip, that's all based on the assumption that the "sun is so far away that it's rays are parallel when they hit the Earth".

In reality the Sun is about the same size as a Goodyear blimp, and its only a couple hundred miles up. So these differing angles of shadows are due to the sun's rays being at different angles when they hit different spots on the earth from the tiny close Sun. So the Earth really is flat after all!

So this film is only one more example of the vast NASA cover up!

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 7:53 am

Or the earth could be flat but wave-shaped! There is just a huge mountain with huge gravity in between Alexandria and Aswan, and beyond those cities would be other huge mountains with enough gravity to keep the people standing straight up.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 1:19 pm

Isn’t it easier simply to deny gravity? Otherwise, you have the little problem that a flat Earth needs to be made of unobtainium so it won’t be crushed by its own gravity into a ball.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 10:47 pm

I was under the impression that most people that post in the Flat Earth Society are actually just exercising their debating skills and don't actually believe that the Earth is flat.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2014, 2:19 am

I wouldnt be surprised if ther are Scientologists who are also Young Earth Creationist who are also flat and hollow Earthers who are serious about it all.