If there was an Autistic state would you migrate there?

Page 16 of 17 [ 261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Would you move to a state for ASD people?
Yes 32%  32%  [ 28 ]
No 55%  55%  [ 48 ]
Maybe (state why) 14%  14%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 88

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2015, 1:18 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
No. The country would be so damn economically weak. NT people make the world go round and do jobs, most people with ASD are unemployed because they can't work. A country with 80+% unemployment? I sure as hell don't want to be there. Also who would help? Not many autistic people can live independtly and need help with life.

I doubt very much an all Autistic country would have nearly an 80% unemployment rate because in such a hypothetical place such things as networking ability, understanding non -verbal language and social ques would not have such prominence. Work places would be designed for less sensory overload. Also thing such things as stimming behaviors would not be branded as "wrong" or "weird".

NT's make the world go round and round not because they are better people, but because they are 98% of the population.

Maybe so, but what about independent living? This sounds like an island for the high functioning. Someone with severe autism would not be able to function on this island.

Not to mention people with autism can be complete opposites of one another. An office, say, with someone who talked extremely loud, was under-sensitive to sound and tapped constantly would be a complete nightmare mixed with someone incredibly oversensitive to sound. Someone who unknowingly touched everyone and had no clue on personal space would not get on with someone who cannot be touched, period. Someone who always feels hot and someone who always feels cold would always fight over the heating and air conditioners. And without NTs to take a control of things workplaces would be full of meltdowns for the same reason as before; other damn people.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2015, 5:58 am

Why would everyone be working office jobs? :?

You're still taking the way things are done now and imagining them being done by only autists, rather than imagining a different way of doing things.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2015, 6:54 am

Magneto wrote:
Why would everyone be working office jobs? :?

You're still taking the way things are done now and imagining them being done by only autists, rather than imagining a different way of doing things.

So what do you suggest would theoretically be the case? What jobs would need to be done and what environment would they be done in? How would the country not go bankrupt?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2015, 10:40 am

I think NT's would eventually have to be brought in as labor, then the autistic state would become just any other NT state, like all the others.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2015, 12:26 pm

If most of the jobs that exist are office jobs, then we probably don't *need* most people to actually be employed...

If the country/commune/phyle is self sufficient when it comes to critical infastructure (and it should be), then it won't need as much money to actually get by. Still, it needs some, especially if it's going to be purchasing things like healthcare from others. So the question is, what can it do to generate the income it requires? Excluding jobs which involve being stuck in an office with a bunch of other people, and jobs which involve large amounts of social interaction, then the ones I can think of are (1) agriculture, (2) light manufacturing, and (3) jobs which can be done at home.

Agriculture is dependent upon having access to large amounts of land, if done to make a profit. Light manufacturing depends on the skill level of the citizens and what you're talking about manufacturing, and has some of the same issues affecting office jobs - and, of course, is being outsourced to machines anyway. Jobs that can be done at home would be, I think, things like proofreading (for the grammar nazis among us), data entry (for those that like that sort of thing, I guess, or at least don't have major aversion to it), programming (for programmers, obviously), and also artistic pursuits such as programming, music, writing, painting, sculpting...

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2015, 1:38 pm

iliketrees wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
No. The country would be so damn economically weak. NT people make the world go round and do jobs, most people with ASD are unemployed because they can't work. A country with 80+% unemployment? I sure as hell don't want to be there. Also who would help? Not many autistic people can live independtly and need help with life.

I doubt very much an all Autistic country would have nearly an 80% unemployment rate because in such a hypothetical place such things as networking ability, understanding non -verbal language and social ques would not have such prominence. Work places would be designed for less sensory overload. Also thing such things as stimming behaviors would not be branded as "wrong" or "weird".

NT's make the world go round and round not because they are better people, but because they are 98% of the population.

Maybe so, but what about independent living? This sounds like an island for the high functioning. Someone with severe autism would not be able to function on this island.

Not to mention people with autism can be complete opposites of one another. An office, say, with someone who talked extremely loud, was under-sensitive to sound and tapped constantly would be a complete nightmare mixed with someone incredibly oversensitive to sound. Someone who unknowingly touched everyone and had no clue on personal space would not get on with someone who cannot be touched, period. Someone who always feels hot and someone who always feels cold would always fight over the heating and air conditioners. And without NTs to take a control of things workplaces would be full of meltdowns for the same reason as before; other damn people.

I would think touching rules would be explicitly set up as would allowances for differences in sensitivities. The basics for this have already been done. At all autistics only retreats people use badges to signal if they want to be approached, quiet areas set up, no florescent lighting and so on. I would assume the treatments would be set up not to make people NT, but to alleviate true negatives, and increase natural strengths. Combining all of this should make people much higher functioning then they are in the NT society.

It won't be a panacea. The biggest issue is would the world allow this state to be set up? After that I see is defining who is autistic as a major issue. Are self diagnosed allowed at all, second class citizens or fully accepted?. Does this society accept the NT driven DSM 5? and previous diagnosis by NT clinicians? If research changes basic understanding of autism from causation to presentation how does this society built with many people resistant to change deal with that?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman