Why is it fair to say Conservatives or Christians areBigots?

Page 3 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 1:24 pm

League_Girl wrote:
What I find ironic is when people call others bigots, I see the irony because bigot means intolerant to different opinions so calling them that is exactly what they are doing they are accusing the other person of. I think everyone has bigotry views because we all have our own bias opinions and won't always agree with others nor always like other peoples opinion. This is more common in religion and politics and anything that is a controversial topic.

There's nothing ironic about not accepting other's intolerance. Refusing to challenge intolerance is effectively condoning it.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 1:38 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
There's nothing ironic about not accepting other's intolerance. Refusing to challenge intolerance is effectively condoning it.

No liberty for the enemies of liberty, eh?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 1:57 pm

Dox47 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

That's only a little dishonest. :roll:

Disputing with and criticizing others for expressing bigoted opinions doesn't deny them their right to express said opinions. Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from your speech being criticized and condemned by others using their freedom of speech.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 2:01 pm

Dox47 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

How does not accepting someones intolerance opposed to liberty exactly? I don't see how you got that out of it. I guess people think pointing out when someone is being bigoted, is the same thing as denying them liberty :?

Persimmonpudding
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jan 2015, 2:10 pm

Dox47 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

More like "Join the Tolerance Club and follow its bylaws, or piss off."

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 9:42 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
League_Girl, are you suggesting that bigots – especially those in a position of power – be tolerated? I'm perfectly willing to tolerate others' narrow-minded views as long as those views don't effect the lives of people around them.

Let's look at the definition of bigot.

big·ot
ˈbiɡət/
noun
a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.

So what does that tell you?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 9:51 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
What I find ironic is when people call others bigots, I see the irony because bigot means intolerant to different opinions so calling them that is exactly what they are doing they are accusing the other person of. I think everyone has bigotry views because we all have our own bias opinions and won't always agree with others nor always like other peoples opinion. This is more common in religion and politics and anything that is a controversial topic.

Also by intolerant I belive it means like hating people in a specific group, like if someone hates all people of a certian religion, or hates everyone of some sub-culture. bigotry is not the same as strongly disagreeing its more like active unjustified hate of anyone you disagree with or people of any specific group you don't agree with.

If someone is going on about how they hate gay people and they should burn in hell, then I'd call them a bigot...and do not think it makes one a bigot to disagree with hateful views and have a problem with the person expressing them.

I was told my comments were somewhat bigotry and I wasn't even hating on anyone or being intolerant so I looked up the word and figured okay I guess everyone is one to an extent because we all have our opinions and not everyone is going to agree and what I found ironic is when this girl told me my comments were somewhat bigotry, I thought she was the bigot according to the definition. All I did was a have a different opinion about that South Park episode when they made fun of AS and no way did I hate that show or was feeling negative bout Matt and Trey but that is how she interpreted me. All I said was how they got it wrong about our condition but I think they did it intentionally because they were making fun of the ignorance about it and the over diagnosing. But I did find her comments confusing because it was like she did a 180 on me after we had exchanged a few PMs and everything was fine I thought and I was enjoying our chat and then she did the 180 saying "I'm sorry but we are done talking now, you keep telling me about how you feel negative about these people and lot of people do not get that Trey Parker also has AS" (I think that was him or was it Matt, I don't remember) and she said other things I don't remember right now but I did save her PM. But at the end of her message she said "I am not judgmental but your comments are somewhat bigotry."

But you know what, there are plenty of dish in the sea and just because someone shares the same diagnoses as me and had a similar childhood to mine doesn't mean we will get along and like each other or nor does it mean they will understand me. I can have this talk to other people and not have them get upset with me.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 10:19 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

How does not accepting someones intolerance opposed to liberty exactly? I don't see how you got that out of it. I guess people think pointing out when someone is being bigoted, is the same thing as denying them liberty :?

The mentality seems to be "I'm entitled to hold and voice any opinion, no matter how bigoted without being labelled as a bigot based on expressing these views." It's just a bit of sociopathic reasoning, like how a small child thinks.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 10:43 pm

The example of bigot being thrown around is let's say someone has deep passion for the game Mario Kart. They think it's a great game and the best and one day someone leaves a comment online about Mario Kart 64 saying "The newer games make this one look lame and make the graphics look bad because they don't have many courses and don't have many items and characters" and bam other Mario kart fans get offended by that comment and take it as an attack and flame the person for it and someone calls that person a bigot for holding that opinion about a classic game.

Another example would be let's say someone likes Adam Sandlar and has lot of passion about his acting and movies but someone says "I don't like Adam Sandlar, I don't find him funny at all." and bam that person gets offended and calls them a bigot for holding that opinion because that person doesn't share the same sense of humor as him.

Some people have great passion for dogs and love them a lot and are dog lovers but let's say someone says "I don't like dogs, they are lot of work and they smell and I think they are disgusting animals" and someone who loves dogs get upset and calls them a bigot.

Heck even people who don't like children have been called bigots and this looks to me that "anyone who holds a different opinion than you and isn't into the same things you like and has different tastes in something is a bigot because how dare they are not like you." So isn't it bigotry to call these people bigots because they think the newer Mario Kart games are better or because they are not interested in kids and don't want any or because they are not dog people so they don't like them and don't want to do the work taking care of one so they don't have one for that reason?

Let's say I tell a blonde joke and someone doesn't like it and finds it offensive, would it be bigoted of me to call that person a bigot for not accepting that joke and being open to it? I am the one who isn't being open about them not finding it funny and not really liking the joke.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 11:00 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
The mentality seems to be "I'm entitled to hold and voice any opinion, no matter how bigoted without being labelled as a bigot based on expressing these views." It's just a bit of sociopathic reasoning, like how a small child thinks.

No, I'd say it's more like "I don't like broad brush generalizations, especially coming from people who know better", combined with a desire to understand people rather than just condemn them and feel smug about it. If an individual expresses bigoted views, by all means label them a bigot, what I don't like is the stereotyping and hypocrisy and double standards.

You have to understand, my entire worldview is based on the knowledge that I don't know everything about everything and am doubtlessly wrong about some things, though I don't know what exactly, and allowing for people to live their lives as much as they want to as possible in light of that, and part of that means that I'm truly tolerant of a lot of viewpoints that others right off, as I want to know why people hold seemingly wrong beliefs. I also don't believe that self righteous condemnation is a particularly effective tool of persuasion, I'm not a big fan of papering over prejudice with brute force, whether that be government force or social force, I'd rather fix the foundational problem, which is often as easy as actually engaging with people and talking to them respectfully. I'll have to dig it up, there's recent research supporting my approach as well.

Finally, as an "out" gun owning libertarian living in Seattle, I'm extremely familiar with being unfairly stereotyped, so it's a bit of a personal pet peeve as well.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 11:19 pm

I don't think anyone likes to be stereotyped or lumped into a group of something so we call them a bigot for it or ignorant. If I were to write how anyone who likes the Seahawks are stupid, I would be expecting flames from people and hostile responses because I had insulted them. Or let's say someone wrote how autistic people are violent and should all be locked away so everyone is safe from them or how mentally ill people shouldn't have kids because they will just abuse them or neglect them and be unstable parents, yeah that will turn into a drama and there will be a bunch of hostile responses and lot of people would take offense to that bigotry. Why be offended? Because those people had stereotyped all autistic people and mental illnesses based on a small group of people with it and no one with autism and a mental illness likes to be accused of such when they are not even those things. They don't like to be stereotyped.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 1:24 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Disputing with and criticizing others for expressing bigoted opinions doesn't deny them their right to express said opinions. Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from your speech being criticized and condemned by others using their freedom of speech.

How do you feel about cases like Brendan Eich?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan_Eich

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 10:30 am

League_Girl, I'd still like to know if you believe those in a position of power who maintain prejudices against an entire group should be tolerated. If I'm a bigot for not tolerating narrow-minded idiots, I can live with that. It's a far cry from demonizing an entire group for the color of their skin, their religion, or sexual orientation, etc.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 11:32 am

Everybody's definition of "tolerance" or "bigotry" is going to be different, and that's where it gets complicated.

My general mindset is that if someone's views on social issues are starkly different than mine, they're certainly free to express them, even if I think their views are completely stupid. It generally doesn't change my opinion about that person. In fact, the ability to honestly and freely express oneself is a trait I admire in people.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 12:15 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
League_Girl, I'd still like to know if you believe those in a position of power who maintain prejudices against an entire group should be tolerated. If I'm a bigot for not tolerating narrow-minded idiots, I can live with that. It's a far cry from demonizing an entire group for the color of their skin, their religion, or sexual orientation, etc.

I never said such thing but yes technically you are a bigot for not tolerating it but isn't everyone to an extent? Look at the definition of bigot. That means everyone is one because we don't tolerate every opinion out there but that does not mean I am saying we should tolerate others who are prejudice towards a group. I can say I am a bigot against religious people who go so far with it they cause harm to others such as parents who fail to seek medical treatment for their child due to their religious belief not believing in doctors and I believe that is a form of child abuse so that is why social services get involved and take the child. Or I am a bigot against people who are judgmental of ABDLs and think negative of them and lump them all into a group with the bad ones so they use that as a justification to think badly of people who are one.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 12:27 pm

League_Girl wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

I never said such thing but yes technically you are a bigot for not tolerating it but isn't everyone to an extent? Look at the definition of bigot. That means everyone is one because we don't tolerate every opinion out there but that does not mean I am saying we should tolerate others who are prejudice towards a group. I can say I am a bigot against religious people who go so far with it they cause harm to others such as parents who fail to seek medical treatment for their child due to their religious belief not believing in doctors and I believe that is a form of child abuse so that is why social services get involved and take the child. Or I am a bigot against people who are judgmental of ABDLs and think negative of them and lump them all into a group with the bad ones so they use that as a justification to think badly of people who are one.

Its not refusal to tolerate every opinion that would make one a bigot it is:

bigot
a person who is intolerant of any ideas other than his or her own, esp on religion, politics, or race

Its when you have absolutely zero tolerance for any beief/views or group outside your own....not if you disagree with prejudice towards said beliefs,views or groups. It's not really bigoted to think a lot of christians and conservatives are bigots when people of those leanings express lack of tolerance for anything outside their own beliefs or group.

Thinking negatively of an individual because of opinions they express and behaviors they exibit is not the same thing as being a bigot....now if you claim to hate/dislike all Christians because some are bigots that would be closer to bigotry.