Page 16 of 18 [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 8:18 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
eric76 wrote:
But in terms of the actual science, I say that any scientist who relies on assumptions based on his own experience as the basis of his science might be better suited to hauling garbage.

Nicely put. Now do you think you can somehow get the message into YEC conspiracy theorists that this is not how the vast majority of scientists work and is most certainly not how the scientific method works. He seems to believe that pretty much all scientific evidence = subjective experience, or worse still, subjective desirable outcomes.
Try getting a position as a "journalist", "teacher", "scientist" etc. if you don't "subjectively experience" the "truth" of officially approved "current opinion", which changes daily or hourly depending on what is being sold to the naïve and credulous masses.

Bah! If there are any genuinely "ruthlessly logical" 'Spergics around they have been chased away from 'sites like this by the "Thought Police". Arty, there is the "official version" of things (such as can be found on Wikipedia) and a real version which is to be thoughtlessly derided by anyone wanting to gain "credibility" in the "Establishment", or fad uniformity of ignorance.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 9:41 am

Oldavid wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:
eric76 wrote:
But in terms of the actual science, I say that any scientist who relies on assumptions based on his own experience as the basis of his science might be better suited to hauling garbage.

Nicely put. Now do you think you can somehow get the message into YEC conspiracy theorists that this is not how the vast majority of scientists work and is most certainly not how the scientific method works. He seems to believe that pretty much all scientific evidence = subjective experience, or worse still, subjective desirable outcomes.
Try getting a position as a "journalist", "teacher", "scientist" etc. if you don't "subjectively experience" the "truth" of officially approved "current opinion", which changes daily or hourly depending on what is being sold to the naïve and credulous masses.

Bah! If there are any genuinely "ruthlessly logical" 'Spergics around they have been chased away from 'sites like this by the "Thought Police". Arty, there is the "official version" of things (such as can be found on Wikipedia) and a real version which is to be thoughtlessly derided by anyone wanting to gain "credibility" in the "Establishment", or fad uniformity of ignorance.

I forget the 'name' of the song BUT..

A ya men.. A ya men.. A ya men...

A..MEN.. A..MEN A..MEN A..MEN...

A common misconception AND stereotype is that ALL so-called Aspergics are vanilla monotone Bill Gates Nerds..

Nah.. Some are passionate.. imaginative.. AND highly creative Geeks like Steve Jobs...

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 11:53 am

I made some assumptions once in science for the effect of humor.

I measured the radius of the Earth in my office in grad school.

My office had double doors -- it was originally meant to be a break room. We put a book case in front of the secondary double door.

So one day we set out to measure the radius of the Earth. We assumed that whoever made the bookcase was a professional and that the back of the book case pointed straight at the center of the Earth. Similarly we assumed that whoever hung the doors knew what they were doing and the back of the door also pointed straight at the center of the Earth.

Keeping these two explicit assumptions in mind, we measured the distance between the bookcase and door at the bottom of the door and again at a point about five feet higher than the first. From there, a little simple triangulation provided us with the radius of the Earth -- about 90 feet.

Just an example of the wonders you can "discover" by making assumptions.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 4:23 pm

Yes but those assumptions were based on prior evidence. In other words what you where assuming was the accuracy of the prior evidence, and in effect you were testing that evidence. In other words you did not make s**t up and get lucky.

Assumptions are not untested thought bubbles, they are either the basis for an Hypothesis which then gets tested rigorously or they are the result of experiment and are "assumed" to be correct, and their continued use tests them further.

Yec's on the other hand, read their holy book, assume it all to be true, then hear scientific evidence which disputes this, assume this all to be lies and a massive. All the while providing no verifiable evidence for their assumptions

Assumptions based on Faith

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 4:38 pm

What are yec's?

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 4:43 pm

By the way, many years ago I read Laffer's paper on his "Laffer Curve" one day while eating lunch at a very good little diner in the Houston area.

What struck me was the number of implicit assumptions involved. Not only did he not justify those assumptions, he didn't even acknowledge them.

Of course, Economics is not a science.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 4:48 pm

Young Earth Creationists. One of whom was the inspiration for this thread.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 7:16 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
Young Earth Creationists. One of whom was the inspiration for this thread.

Thanks.

I think that the problem with Creationism is that if it were true, then they make God to be a liar.

After all, the evidence is overwhelming that the universe is far older and that the Earth has an extensive past. If God created the Earth a few thousand years ago, then he had to have intentionally left enormous amounts of bogus evidence that leads rational people to believe it to be far older. Thus, he is a liar.

I, for one, don't believe God to be a liar. That means that Creationism must be untrue. The hidden clues about the past are real and the universe is billions of years old.

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2015, 7:19 am

Entirely predictable. The justification for ideological conjectures that violate all observational and experimentally demonstrable science is more conjecture and derision of anyone who says that the King is naked.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2015, 7:25 am

eric76 wrote:
Narrator wrote:
I asked this in another thread, but as it was off-topic, I decided to make a new thread.

In science, is it alright to make assumptions? Here's the what-if:

Let's say that John's scientific experience is substantial. Can John make assumptions based on that experience, in the process of his thesis, and still call his conclusions valid?

It's not clear to me what you mean. Reading some of the responses did nothing to help.

Precisely what do you mean by "assumptions based on that experience"? My guess is, you want to create an appeal to authority. That may work well in subjects like literature, but it does not apply in fields of science.

There is no "it's true because Dr Bletch said so" in science.

So if that is what you are referring to, then the answer is clearly "NO".

"An assumption based upon prior experience" is NOT an "assumption". An "assumption" is something taken on faith, and is unproven. If prior repeated expirement has shown that the moon is not made of green cheese then -using the proven fact that the moon is not made of green cheese as basis for further observation- is NOT making an 'assumption'. Its using proven fact.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2015, 7:38 am

naturalplastic wrote:
eric76 wrote:
Narrator wrote:
I asked this in another thread, but as it was off-topic, I decided to make a new thread.

Let's say that John's scientific experience is substantial. Can John make assumptions based on that experience, in the process of his thesis, and still call his conclusions valid?

It's not clear to me what you mean. Reading some of the responses did nothing to help.

Precisely what do you mean by "assumptions based on that experience"? My guess is, you want to create an appeal to authority. That may work well in subjects like literature, but it does not apply in fields of science.

"An assumption based upon prior experience" is NOT an "assumption". An "assumption" is something taken on faith, and is unproven. If prior repeated expirement has shown that the moon is not made of green cheese then -using the proven fact that the moon is not made of green cheese as basis for further observation- is NOT making an 'assumption'. Its using proven fact.

That would be one kind of assumption.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2015, 9:30 am

eric76 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
eric76 wrote:
Narrator wrote:

What do you insist on contradicting yourself?

According the definition of "assumption" agreed upon in this thread "taking something unproven as fact" it is NOT an "assumption". If prior experiment has proven it-then you're not taking "something not proven as fact". If it IS proven then its proven, and Its not an assumption.

Grommit
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Feb 2015, 10:55 am

Mathematics is a universal language, we use this to predict the universe.

The periodic table exists everywhere in the universe, it is part of the building blocks of nature, there are even elements that have been predicted to be true but do not belong on our planet or in our solar system. But yet we can still synthesise them.

We are now starting to understand things at a quantum level which are not governed by every day physics, and since everything in existence is an atom, it must mean in some way we are governed by quantum physics.

Similar to the belief system that the weather is only influenced by our planet, when actual fact it is also governed by our sun and position in our solar system, the Mayans found that out.

If science was not real, then how come we have everything on this planet to survive, is that not a clue. Everything on this planet acts accordingly to its surroundings and it has always been a battle of survival, without micro organisms we would cease to exist.

People have always made assumptions that's what keeps people thinking

But science is to prove the assumption fact. If there wasn't a set of rules to follow then how did we build all the technology, it wouldn't be possible. It would mean that every piece of technology is fundamentally flawed.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2015, 12:13 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
eric76 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
eric76 wrote:
Narrator wrote:

According the definition of "assumption" agreed upon in this thread "taking something unproven as fact" it is NOT an "assumption". If prior experiment has proven it-then you're not taking "something not proven as fact". If it IS proven then its proven, and Its not an assumption.

Then it isn't one kind of assumption.

It's difficult to come up with examples of actual assumptions being made.

One example comes from those building climate models for Global Warming. Such models likely include a number of assumptions. From what I understand, one common assumption in those models is that we will continue to use more and more fossil fuels exponentially.

In reality, we will reach a point of peak oil and a point of peak coal. Peal oil has been predicted for some time. I read an article a couple of years ago showing a number of different scientists who study coal predicting that we will reach peak coal in about fifty years.

One thing that compounds the problem is that as the prices rise when we start to run short, we have come up with advances that help us extract more from what is left and that helps extend. If oil was $6 a gallon, we would surely have reached peak oil years ago. As it is, a growing number of major oil companies are encountering more and more trouble finding new strikes and expanding production. In some cases, production is less than what it was at their maximum.

In Global Warming, if it is true that many of the models assume that the use of fossil fuels will increase exponentially well into the distant future, they are sure to increasingly overestimate the amount of CO2 entering the atmosphere in the future and will consequently overestimate the CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere.

One reason that might be used to justify the assumptions is that we cannot possibly know what is going to happen and so the best information we have is based on what has happened in the past. After all, I readily agree that it is impossible to predict how much of the power needs could be reduced by greater efficiency and how much could be met from other sources not using fossil fuels such as wind, solar, and nuclear.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2015, 12:35 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
eric76 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
eric76 wrote:
Narrator wrote:

NO, that is NOT the agreed upon DEFINITION OF ASSUMPTION IN THIS THREAD, AS OBVIOUSLY NOT EVERYONE AGREES WITH IT, including me, who has already stated that clearly, and defined it before, professionally as such, here in this thread, as below.

ASSUMPTION IS SYNONYM FOR HYPOTHESIS, AND HYPOTHESIS CAN RELY ON PAST ANECDOTAL EXPERIENCES WHETHER PROVEN OR NOT for FORMULATION of Hypothesis.

Merriam AND Webster is AN authority on THAT; NOT YOU, budding journalist, or whomever or whatever, OR ME..;)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/assumption

Quote:
Definition of ASSUMPTION

a : the taking up of a person into heaven
b capitalized : August 15 observed in commemoration of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary
: a taking to or upon oneself <the assumption of a new position>
Take a 2 minute break! Play our
fun, fast vocab game. »
: the act of laying claim to or taking possession of something <the assumption of power>
: arrogance, pretension
a : an assuming that something is true
b : a fact or statement (as a proposition, axiom, postulate, or notion) taken for granted
: the taking over of another's debts
See assumption defined for English-language learners
See assumption defined for kids
Examples of ASSUMPTION

I made the assumption that he was coming, so I was surprised when he didn't show up.
He will come home tomorrow. At least, that's my assumption.
Many scientific assumptions about Mars were wrong.
I'm telling you our arrival time on the assumption that you will check to see whether or not our flight is on time before you come to the airport.
Her plan is based on the underlying assumption that the economy will improve in the near future.
her assumption of the presidency
the buyer's assumption of debt
Origin of ASSUMPTION

Middle English, from Late Latin assumption-, assumptio taking up, from Latin assumere
First Known Use: 13th century
Related to ASSUMPTION
Synonyms
given, hypothetical, if, postulate, premise (also premiss), presumption, presupposition, supposition
Antonyms
humility, modesty, unassumingness, unpretentiousness

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2015, 12:48 pm

The meaning of words in the common use is not necessarily the same meanings they have in the world of science. Often times the words are the same but are much more precise in science than in common language.