The Probability of Us All Existing At The Same Time?

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 4:32 am

And yet here we are, miraculously together. It's pretty amazing. What are the odds?

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 5:52 am

How could I exist at any other time?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 7:15 am

No miracle, just coincidence.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Jan 2015, 10:31 am

You know, the most amazing thing happened to me tonight... I saw a car with the license plate ARW 357. Can you imagine? Of all the millions of license plates in the state, what was the chance that I would see that particular one tonight? Amazing!
- Richard Feynman

You are saying there are, say, 40 billion humans, 7 billion are alive now, and it just so happens that 30 or so you know on WrongPlanet are part of the 17.5% who are alive today. The odds of that happening are minute.

However, inevitably there had to be 7 billion people alive now. If I wasn't born until 2018, you'd still have made this thread claiming that it is amazing that "we all exist at the same time".

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 2:04 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
And yet here we are, miraculously together. It's pretty amazing. What are the odds?

Wtf are you talking about?

And who are "us" anyway? "us" on Wrongplanet? "us" aspies? "us" all living members of the human species? Or some other group you are calling "us"?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 2:49 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
You know, the most amazing thing happened to me tonight... I saw a car with the license plate ARW 357. Can you imagine? Of all the millions of license plates in the state, what was the chance that I would see that particular one tonight? Amazing!
- Richard Feynman

You are saying there are, say, 40 billion humans, 7 billion are alive now, and it just so happens that 30 or so you know on WrongPlanet are part of the 17.5% who are alive today. The odds of that happening are minute.

However, inevitably there had to be 7 billion people alive now. If I wasn't born until 2018, you'd still have made this thread claiming that it is amazing that "we all exist at the same time".

Thanks for posting, Walrus!

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 2:50 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Wtf are you talking about?

And who are "us" anyway? "us" on Wrongplanet? "us" aspies? "us" all living members of the human species? Or some other group you are calling "us"?

I am saying open your mind and think about how cool it is we can exist at the same time, young, old, big small. We all get this time to share together. What a gift the universe has bestowed!

Notice how astronomers, many of them, perhaps not every single one in the history of mankind, but several, at least, seem kind of jovial like they are onto some great mystery and it has thrilled them to no end? Maybe it is because studying the universe is putting them in touch with a dimension of the divine, and you are free to interpret that any way you wish.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 4:04 pm

Unfortunately, the human systemizing mind, sometimes discounts the 'divine' nature of human sentiment alone.

To find purpose in all things in life, CAN be to simply find the bliss of heaven IN now..

Whether IT IS the POTENTIAL awe and mystery of the flight of a butterfly's wings..

OR the AMAZING COMPLEXITY OF THE TAPESTRY OF THE WHOLE THING.. and in THAT tapestry.. how beautiful NOW CAN TRULY BE FOR ONE WHO LIVES IN REAL HUMAN HEAVEN.. for now.

TO DISCOUNT magick in life, IS SIMPLY not to have any.

And that is the greatest 'TALE' WAGGING ANY human DOG or cat.. yet to date.. A HUMAN.

HUMANS for the MOST part, can create crap pie or lemon pie.

ATTITUDE IS 99% OF most EVERY Human Equation.

And that is ALL SENTIMENT, AND NO FACTS ALONE, at all.

It makes me happy to be alive in all of LIFE'S complexity I both know and FEEL IN NOW.

AND if anyone thinks otherwise, chances are they are STUCK IN THEIR MIND.. and out of their feelings.. as well as the rest of their physical mind that reaches from head to toe, when MORE fully utilized per human PHYSICAL, EMOTIONAL, AND SENSORY INTEGRATION potential In truer fuller HUMAN POTENTIAL.

So HELL YEAH.. it IS AMAZING PER HOW THE WHOLE THING WORKS, as is NOW, at the same time.. for all that IT CAN be FOR SOMEONE who FEELS super blessed just to be here, AS IS, with OR without all others too.

Bliss IS Bliss.

TO PRACTICE it effectively and attain it AFFECTIVELY IS 'DIVINE'.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

eleventhirtytwo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Jan 2015, 4:13 pm

It's amazing that any matter exists, nevermind self-conscious matter which can have conversations. What's also trippy is if you ask yourself the question "How could nothing exist?" and the questions that lead on from it. Night-time trying to sleep material lol

22, entrepreneurial and diagnosed with High Functioning Autism, ADHD, OCD and Tourettes. Also have problems with Anxiety, and more recently depression, although I seem to returning to my optimistic self =)

Orangez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2015, 4:22 pm

eleventhirtytwo wrote:
It's amazing that any matter exists, nevermind self-conscious matter which can have conversations. What's also trippy is if you ask yourself the question "How could nothing exist?" and the questions that lead on from it. Night-time trying to sleep material lol

Thinking about nothing is very nightmarish material. Since nothing has to exist since the universe is expanding into nothingness of beyond space. Thus, I can see why people choose to believe in god since the logical conclusions that can be drawn from this idea is quite scary.

I am getting goosebumps from just typing this.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 9:29 pm

I don't find nothingness or death scary.

We are just going home--returning to the state we were in before life.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 2:00 am

It's a probability distribution; we could use mortality tables to develop a distribution to answer this question.

The odds will quickly decrease in time as one of "us" will die eventually, and all it takes is for one to die for "all of us existing at the same time" to be have a probability of 0; assuming "us" is a fixed group.

The graph is square-wave; it is either 1 - we all exist - or 0 we don't all exist.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 2:12 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
It's a probability distribution; we could use mortality tables to develop a distribution to answer this question.

The odds will quickly decrease in time as one of "us" will die eventually, and all it takes is for one to die for "all of us existing at the same time" to be have a probability of 0; assuming "us" is a fixed group.

The graph is square-wave; it is either 1 - we all exist - or 0 we don't all exist.

I think it's difficult to figure out because we don't know the odds of existing like this in other places besides earth, other planets, for example, or other dimensions.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 2:22 am

the probability is 1

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 2:57 am

Time is a location; I only just recently reached that epiphany. Everything independent of one's location is malleable - capable of being altered. There are so many orbitals, gravitational phenomena and rotations to take into account that each keystroke in the post you're reading happened in a completely different place.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

eleventhirtytwo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jan 2015, 6:33 am

cberg wrote:
Time is a location; I only just recently reached that epiphany. Everything independent of one's location is malleable - capable of being altered. There are so many orbitals, gravitational phenomena and rotations to take into account that each keystroke in the post you're reading happened in a completely different place.

I've always thought of time as physical processes, eg, "See you when the earth has completed 7 rotations on it's axis".

22, entrepreneurial and diagnosed with High Functioning Autism, ADHD, OCD and Tourettes. Also have problems with Anxiety, and more recently depression, although I seem to returning to my optimistic self =)