When should you have access to a lot of money?

Page 1 of 7 [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 8:07 pm

The way the system is set up:

We start off under the wings of our parents and whatever they have which sometimes isn't a lot because they are still youngish and in the process of building although in some locations, the trend is going toward parenting while older. Then we spend the best years of our lives, late teens as in 18-19 to around 35, when most of us are healthiest and have the most energy, trying to make money.

As we get older, we acquire more money, so by the time we are something like 70, we have some saved, at different rates, of course.

Then BAM health crises hit, some of us may stand to lose a lot of what we have earned when young and slaving away on a malady that afflicts us in old age more than in youth. Our money goes, our health goes along with it.

Or, we are struggling with lack of drive, energy, bad hips or knees and don't feel like going out and spending our money.

Or, we have family members who we spend the money on, like grand kids and whatnot.

Or, we simply die and never get to have fun with our own money, it just goes to someone else.

It just seems like we have it backwards.

It seems more logical for us to have that money when younger, then earn it through work and bemiserable while older since a lot of times, that's how it is anyway.

Get what I'm saying?

What's so bad about having golden years when young, energetic, adventurous, desiring to go see the world and working when older? I think it's a splendid plan!

slave
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 8:28 pm

You should have a lot of $$$$$$$$ when you EARN it.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 8:33 pm

slave wrote:
You should have a lot of $$$$$$$$ when you EARN it.

You will be earning it, just at a different time. You will earn it at a time when you can't do much else but you can spend it when you are healthy and energetic enough to enjoy it more.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 8:47 pm

Go to all your friends and ask them to give you money that you will pay back when you are much older.

If you have any friends left after that, then they might actually be stupid enough to give you the money.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 9:00 pm

When you know how to spend it wisely.

I would like access to a million dollars, please!! !! !

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 9:11 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
When you know how to spend it wisely.

I would like access to a million dollars, please!! ! ! !

+10

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 9:50 pm

Never.... we don't have to be filthy rich to live happy lives.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 10:51 pm

How can it be denied, you can experience more when you have money, see the world and able to have experiences that you can only have if you can afford them, not necessarily spending on material possessions. When you are older, you might not be able to do that, even though you have enough money to and would like to if you were physically able.
If you are working all the time, you still have a little more money, unless you are saving a lot, but your time is heavily taxed and it limits what you can experience.

So a good answer to the problem, get the money when they are physically fit and have a freer schedule, and when they are less fit and older, they work. Older people are often better at tasks anyway because they are more mature and have a greater capacity to understand and when they are denied opportunities to work, they often suffer psychologically because they wish they had something to take their time.

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jan 2015, 11:02 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
How can it be denied, you can experience more when you have money, see the world and able to have experiences that you can only have if you can afford them, not necessarily spending on material possessions. When you are older, you might not be able to do that, even though you have enough money to and would like to if you were physically able.
If you are working all the time, you still have a little more money, unless you are saving a lot, but your time is heavily taxed and it limits what you can experience.

So a good answer to the problem, get the money when they are physically fit and have a freer schedule, and when they are less fit and older, they work. Older people are often better at tasks anyway because they are more mature and have a greater capacity to understand and when they are denied opportunities to work, they often suffer psychologically because they wish they had something to take their time.

You're not really answering the question of where the money comes from. Either people are earning it themselves (and they have every natural right to spend it themselves, young or old), or it's being stolen from others, either directly through taxation, or indirectly through currency manipulation and printing money.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 11:10 pm

drh1138 wrote:
Either people are earning it themselves (and they have every natural right to spend it themselves, young or old), or it's being stolen from others, either directly through taxation, or indirectly through currency manipulation and printing money.

Or inherited...

Some inherit both the money and the work ethic that produced it.
Some inherit the money and live comfortably, despite not having the same work ethic.
Some inherit the money and lose it.

Different soaps for different folks. (pun intended btw)

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 11:35 pm

One important thing to to remember is that a very large numbers of very successful companies are created and built by the young. The number of such companies started by the elderly is going to be tiny. And it is the money earned in those companies that create the wealth that the owners and workers have available to save for the future.

Give the young money so that they can play for years and then go to work would really mean a world of poverty as there would few companies making the world what it is today.

Much of today was created by the elderly when they were young. Tomorrow is now being created by the young, not the elderly.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 12:28 am

Haha, the money comes from the same place it does now - social security and you pay it back when you work at a later age. It's the same idea as now only you get money and more time at a different time in your life. It is like reversing what we have now. You get hired by a company, pension and 401 k early, then you have to work for them at a later date. They still have to hire you and everything just like now. It's just like taking money you would get later and giving it to you earlier. You still have to work and find employment, all that. We've been conditioned to believe retirement is something one gets late in life when that's entirely variable. It doesn't have to be late in life. People are actually often better able to work later in life than younger, and they often make better workers when they are more mature because they understand life a bit better.

And as far as money being stolen via taxation...taxes have never been thought of as stealing. You might not like taxes but that still doesn't mean it is actually stolen. The question is, what do you get out of your taxes? Things like roads, schools, services of all kinds, contracts, benefits, protection.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 12:50 am

As crazy as that argument is, I've actually heard worse.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 1:08 am

eric76 wrote:

That's because conditioning is a powerful thing. You cannot fathom a different structure.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 1:27 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
eric76 wrote:

That's because conditioning is a powerful thing. You cannot fathom a different structure.

What I can't fathom is how someone can actually think that it would be a good idea.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 1:38 am

eric76 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
eric76 wrote:

What I can't fathom is how someone can actually think that it would be a good idea.

I think it would be a fabulous idea, would result in better medical treatments for older people and would generally improve their life.