A third of all Millennials express themselves as irreligious

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jan 2015, 1:52 am

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/01/27/pew-research-report-a-third-of-millienials-have-no-religion/

God is dead; the Age of Atheism grows on the horizon with every passing generation, every new understanding of the world around us.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 5:19 pm

"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
Somehow the US is much more religious than Europe, I never understood why. Almost none of the politicians are openly atheist, unlike Europe.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 11:46 pm

Ha! the same report shows a graph percentage of Atheists moving from maybe 2% to 3% of the population.

While religion may be dying a slow death, Atheism is still pretty much stuck in the mud.

The overwhelming majority of people STILL do not totally reject a belief in GOD.

BUT OF COURSE God is not limited to a brick and mortar church, a book, or a preacher's mouth, as GOD is Mother Nature True aka All THAT IS.

And GOD ain't going nowhere, and if GOD does, humans GO TOO.

IT'S THAT SIMPLE. ;)

Or in other words, be careful what ones wishes for; GOD is kinda a requirement for life. ;)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2015, 3:24 am

aghogday wrote:
Ha! the same report shows a graph percentage of Atheists moving from maybe 2% to 3% of the population.

While religion may be dying a slow death, Atheism is still pretty much stuck in the mud.

The overwhelming majority of people STILL do not totally reject a belief in GOD.

BUT OF COURSE God is not limited to a brick and mortar church, a book, or a preacher's mouth, as GOD is Mother Nature True aka All THAT IS.

IT'S THAT SIMPLE. ;)

Or in other words, be careful what ones wishes for; GOD is kinda a requirement for life. ;)

:? I doubt humans would disappear just because people stop believing in god, that's ridiculous...

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2015, 9:58 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
aghogday wrote:

IT'S THAT SIMPLE. ;)

:? I doubt humans would disappear just because people stop believing in god, that's ridiculous...

No.. As I stated GOD IS MOTHER NATURE TRUE and that is part of why I use CAPS in reciprocal social communication...

Bold is antiquated and too slow on this software format for folks who type 130 words per minute to the average tune of 10K a day...

A common FALLACY on this site is that the OLD antiquated Abrahamic TRIBAL God is the only defined GOD that EXISTS...

I am a NEW AGER B A B y AND the GOD that IS ALL THAT IS aka Mother Nature True exists EVERWHERe...

SHE IS the TRUE Master and there IS NO Escaping her alive and WHO knows.. perhaps not in death...

fifthgear
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jan 2015, 9:29 pm

Any notion of magic is inconsistent with scientific and rational inquiry. Gods (or any other term you may apply to ideas of things that people worship: e.g. Saint, Devils, etc.) are magical. 'Magical' in the sense that they violate the usual rules by which the universe evolves through time (the laws of physics, if you like). If these supposedly existing being don't violate the laws of physics, then they are in accordance with such laws. If they are in accordance with the laws of the universe then they CANNOT be magical (simply by definition). Hence, they cannot be divine. Hence, they are not gods, but beings like ourselves.

Scientific and rational inquiry have uncovered a collection of theories (admittedly, currently mutually inconsistent theories) which explain the universe using very simple 'laws' ('descriptions', would be a more accurate name) of how a dynamic systems evolve through time (the universe, chemistry, biology, etc.). While these existing scientifically derived theories (Karl-Popper scientific theory, backed by evidence and experimentation, and that makes real objective predictions). While such theories are currently often mutually inconsistent and incomplete, they continue to get better by filling in gaps, and moving towards greater consistency.

Another very important aspect of scientific and mathematical theories is that they can be shown to be self-consistent. This is rather the most glaring problem with theories of magical divinity - none exists that's even self-consistent (never mind all the other problems with such theories).

So, while an explanation of the child's questions haunt all our minds (where did I come from, why am I here, etc.). A final theory of everything MUST be self-consistent. That is, if a theory tells us that both something is and is NOT true, and we are using the semantics of classical logic here, then the theory

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 7:21 am

drh1138 wrote:
A Third Of All Millennials Express Themselves As Irreligious.
While I understand the situation, I do not see it as a problem.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 8:28 am

drh1138 wrote:
God is dead; the Age of Atheism grows on the horizon with every passing generation, every new understanding of the world around us.

I'm waiting for quantum physics to catch up and maybe, just maybe, it might offer an explanation for the metaphysical mysteries of qi, prana and consciousness itself. Will science ever be able to rebuild the chicken's egg?
Doubt it will be in my lifetime though... :|

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 10:52 am

aghogday wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
aghogday wrote:

IT'S THAT SIMPLE. ;)

No.. As I stated GOD IS MOTHER NATURE TRUE and that is part of why I use CAPS in reciprocal social communication...

Bold is antiquated and too slow on this software format for folks who type 130 words per minute to the average tune of 10K a day...

A common FALLACY on this site is that the OLD antiquated Abrahamic TRIBAL God is the only defined GOD that EXISTS...

I am a NEW AGER B A B y AND the GOD that IS ALL THAT IS aka Mother Nature True exists EVERWHERe...

SHE IS the TRUE Master and there IS NO Escaping her alive and WHO knows.. perhaps not in death...

To those of us who reject the notion of gods, your concept of god is no more or less real than the Abrahamic one.

We'll still be here, whether or not we believe in the supernatural.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jan 2015, 11:11 am

aghogday wrote:
GOD is kinda a requirement for life. ;)

I dunno... I'm doing pretty well without one. My life could be better, but I don't see what purpose any alleged 'gods' would serve.

trollcatman wrote:
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

:lol:

Quote:
Somehow the US is much more religious than Europe, I never understood why. Almost none of the politicians are openly atheist, unlike Europe.

*sigh* It is sad. The people who are supposed to resolve issues of public policy show a shocking deficit of basic critical thinking skills. And it's not going away anytime soon. :(

I think the source of it is a combination of our history, wealth, and odious fortune (with a few minorities crushed and swept under the rug here or there). We've had such luck, Gawd MUST be looking out for us. *groan*

Sweetleaf wrote:

Fnord wrote:
drh1138 wrote:
A Third Of All Millennials Express Themselves As Irreligious.
While I understand the situation, I do not see it as a problem.

Of course not. I'm just giddy for atheism and rational objectivity to have its day in America.

guzzle wrote:
I'm waiting for quantum physics to catch up and maybe, just maybe, it might offer an explanation for the metaphysical mysteries of qi, prana and consciousness itself. Will science ever be able to rebuild the chicken's egg?
Doubt it will be in my lifetime though... :|

Quantum mysticism is the most sinister piece of woo I've ever come to know from the New Age quacks. QM doesn't "explain" any of that crap because not only are those things in its domain of study, but they're not even proven to exist in the first place.

It's the same sort of scientific hijacking that went into that dreary movie "What the Bleep Do We Know?". At least orthodox religions do the courtesy of outright denying science and logic. New Age woo-mongers attempt to subvert it through sophistry.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 11:47 am

funeralxempire wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
aghogday wrote:

IT'S THAT SIMPLE. ;)

To those of us who reject the notion of gods, your concept of god is no more or less real than the Abrahamic one.

We'll still be here, whether or not we believe in the supernatural.

DUDE, please!.. PUT on your reading glasses and Listen TO MY CLARIFICATION once again.

Classical pantheists are REAL THEISTS AND IT IS A REAL RELIGION AND they equate the Universe with GOD..

Do ya get it yet!..

I don't know how many more ways I can say THIS COMMON SENSE TRUTH.

GOD IS all NATURAL ALL THE TIME!

And that's the truth!

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 11:49 am

drh1138 wrote:
aghogday wrote:
GOD is kinda a requirement for life. ;)

SEE ABOVE ^^^

drh1138 wrote:

I dunno... I'm doing pretty well without one. My life could be better, but I don't see what purpose any alleged 'gods' would serve.

aghogday writing NOW:

YOU WILL not last ONE second without Mother Nature TrUE

And that's an easy scientific FACT to research if NEED be. ;)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 1:23 pm

aghogday wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
aghogday wrote:

IT'S THAT SIMPLE. ;)

Well mother nature and the abrahamic(I think that is the term) God are certainly not the same thing. I am sure the first one exists...though certainly is not something as defined or personified as the christian God. Even so not sure a lack of belief in mother nature would result in humans simply not existing anymore.

And all caps just confuses me when used sporadically the way you seem to be using it to be honest.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 1:28 pm

fifthgear wrote:
Any notion of magic is inconsistent with scientific and rational inquiry. Gods (or any other term you may apply to ideas of things that people worship: e.g. Saint, Devils, etc.) are magical. 'Magical' in the sense that they violate the usual rules by which the universe evolves through time (the laws of physics, if you like). If these supposedly existing being don't violate the laws of physics, then they are in accordance with such laws. If they are in accordance with the laws of the universe then they CANNOT be magical (simply by definition). Hence, they cannot be divine. Hence, they are not gods, but beings like ourselves.

Scientific and rational inquiry have uncovered a collection of theories (admittedly, currently mutually inconsistent theories) which explain the universe using very simple 'laws' ('descriptions', would be a more accurate name) of how a dynamic systems evolve through time (the universe, chemistry, biology, etc.). While these existing scientifically derived theories (Karl-Popper scientific theory, backed by evidence and experimentation, and that makes real objective predictions). While such theories are currently often mutually inconsistent and incomplete, they continue to get better by filling in gaps, and moving towards greater consistency.

Another very important aspect of scientific and mathematical theories is that they can be shown to be self-consistent. This is rather the most glaring problem with theories of magical divinity - none exists that's even self-consistent (never mind all the other problems with such theories).

So, while an explanation of the child's questions haunt all our minds (where did I come from, why am I here, etc.). A final theory of everything MUST be self-consistent. That is, if a theory tells us that both something is and is NOT true, and we are using the semantics of classical logic here, then the theory

So you think 'physics' would explain everything....also how do we know our physics/mathematics would even apply to anything outside this planet...I don't really see anything in science/mathmatics that entirely disproves the existence of spirit entities(not god/gods per say but just in general), if it does disprove such things would exist than how so? Also scientific theories change all the time so you never know if the current theory is actually accurate.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 1:33 pm

drh1138 wrote:

Quantum mysticism is the most sinister piece of woo I've ever come to know from the New Age quacks. QM doesn't "explain" any of that crap because not only are those things in its domain of study, but they're not even proven to exist in the first place.

It's the same sort of scientific hijacking that went into that dreary movie "What the Bleep Do We Know?". At least orthodox religions do the courtesy of outright denying science and logic. New Age woo-mongers attempt to subvert it through sophistry.

I am pretty sure that movie is about quantum physics....

Anyways what is a woo-monger? I am genuinely curious about this......either way there is plenty science doesn't 'explain' either, so can't blame people for looking outside the confines of traditional science/mathmatics in an attempt to understand the world/universe really is my opinion and some of what I've heard is intriguing. But certainly open to quantum physics theories being disproven...I do take it with a grain of salt but not so sure it should be dismissed entirely as BS in all cases but who knows.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 1:55 pm

aghogday wrote:

DUDE, please!.. PUT on your reading glasses and Listen TO MY CLARIFICATION once again.

Classical pantheists are REAL THEISTS AND IT IS A REAL RELIGION AND they equate the Universe with GOD..

Do ya get it yet!..

I don't know how many more ways I can say THIS COMMON SENSE TRUTH.

GOD IS all NATURAL ALL THE TIME!

And that's the truth!

Disagreeing with your framing isn't the same as failure to understand your framing.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う