Conservatives more likely to believe vaccines cause Autism

Page 1 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 2:39 pm

Study by "Robert Lupton is a political scientist at Michigan State University. Christopher Hare is a PhD candidate in political science at the University of Georgia" printed in the Washington Post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/monkey-cage/wp/2015/03/01/conservatives-are-more-likely-to-believe-that-vaccines-cause-autism/

Seems obvious to me. People who distrust government would in general be more distrustful of all authority.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 3:33 pm

Given that whole "we totally used vaccination campaigns to locate and kill Osama bin Laden" thing, it's not as though the fear is entirely unjustified. All it takes is believing that the CIA is capable of lying when they promise never to do it again. Not exactly a huge leap of faith to suspect a spy agency might lie.

A burden discerned in the blood you taste

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 5:25 pm

RhodyStruggle wrote:
Given that whole "we totally used vaccination campaigns to locate and kill Osama bin Laden" thing, it's not as though the fear is entirely unjustified. All it takes is believing that the CIA is capable of lying when they promise never to do it again. Not exactly a huge leap of faith to suspect a spy agency might lie.

But it's not the CIA administrating vaccinations at my daughter's pediatrician's office.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 5:34 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
But it's not the CIA administrating vaccinations at my daughter's pediatrician's office.

That might mean that the U.S. medical and pharmaceutical industries (not to mention the average American who will stand in line for hours if it means getting something he or she feels entitled to), are a lot easier to convince what with the economic bubble now hovering over the health-care sector and the offer of government-subsidized revenue to stave off another few months before collapse?

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 5:43 pm

The far right can believe as many crazy things as they like, but the simple fact remains, VACCINES DO NOT CAUSE AUTISM! I categorize this along with the other notions that the right promoted, such as that fluoride in the water was a communist mind control plot by the Kremlin, or that communists were behind the civil rights movement.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 5:51 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
...VACCINES DO NOT CAUSE AUTISM...!

With the possible exception of certain vaccines being given to the pregnant mother of a child, I agree that vaccines don't cause autism.

Now, what about vaccines mimicking autism (or autistic characteristics, to be more precise), especially the infamous 44 vaccine doses given to children before they are five years of age? For all practical purposes, the end result is the same, isn't it?

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 6:11 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
...VACCINES DO NOT CAUSE AUTISM...!

With the possible exception of certain vaccines being given to the pregnant mother of a child, I agree that vaccines don't cause autism.

Now, what about vaccines mimicking autism (or autistic characteristics, to be more precise), especially the infamous 44 vaccine doses given to children before they are five years of age? For all practical purposes, the end result is the same, isn't it?

Vaccinating a fetus? My daughter had never been vaccinated prior to being born.
And as for those 44 vaccine doses - as a matter of fact, my daughter is autistic and had received all 44. But as the majority of kids who had also been vaccinated had never developed autism, or autism like symptoms, I have to call that alleged association into question. That's like saying that everyone who had died ate carrots - one thing doesn't necessarily lead to the other. My daughter is autistic because I am - it's purely a matter of genetics.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 6:18 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Vaccinating a fetus...?

No, vaccinating its mother (against the advice of even most vaccine makers, but, hey, health care workers do what they believe is true), thereby affecting the fetus.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 6:26 pm

It's an unfortunate thing: autism.

There is, definitely, a form of autism where there is regression from about the age of 2 or so. I've been reading case studies of this since the 1970s. And many of them came from the 1940s and 1950s--when autism existed as a diagnosis, but wasn't well-known to the general public. The measles, mumps, chicken pox, and (until 1955) polio vaccines weren't available. I'll have to research when they started administering the DPT.

Unfortunately, this regression corresponds to when kids receive Parents see the regression, and they notice it right after receiving vaccines. It's not the vaccines that's causing it, I believe---it's whatever is "in" the autism.

Much more research has to be done with the regressive form of autism. I know it exists. In the DSM IV, some cases of it fall under "Childhood Disintegrative Disorder." There are other, more mild, cases, that were/are diagnosed as "Childhood Disintegrative Disorder" where there was a regression. Sometimes, there is progress, owing to "early intervention," after a regression.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 6:49 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Vaccinating a fetus...?

No, vaccinating its mother (against the advice of even most vaccine makers, but, hey, health care workers do what they believe is true), thereby affecting the fetus.

Are you talking about the flu vaccine? Because that's the only vaccination my wife received while pregnant.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 7:19 pm

I didn't mean an influenza vaccine specifically, but they are among those vaccines that haven't enjoyed much, if any, research published about use among pregnant women.

http://www.nvic.org/vaccines-and-diseas ... serts.aspx

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 9:27 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
I didn't mean an influenza vaccine specifically, but they are among those vaccines that haven't enjoyed much, if any, research published about use among pregnant women.

http://www.nvic.org/vaccines-and-diseas ... serts.aspx

I'm not going to lose any sleep over pregnant women getting the flu shot. But for what it's worth, my wife ended up with the flu, despite the vaccination.

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 10:23 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
RhodyStruggle wrote:

And the CIA is most likely not looking for you anyway.

My point is, given that the US Government has demonstrated a willingness to conduct clandestine operations under the cover of vaccination drives, if one fears being a potential target of a clandestine operation by said government, it is not unreasonable to suspect vaccination as a vector of attack.

Whether or not that fear of being targeted is reasonable is another question altogether, varying on a case-by-case basis of course.

A burden discerned in the blood you taste

TheRedPedant93
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Mar 2015, 3:02 am

As a libertarian who disparages Big Government myself this doesn't make me feel stupefied one bit. I have long postulated that the perceptions between collectivist ideologies, opposition attitude to mandatory vaccination and/or objectification to being administered with vaccines was all a mythos. I still uphold my doubts whether vaccines can attribute to the regressive proportionment of ASD cases via an epigenetic framework is veracious or not. Researchers who conduct foreseeable analyses like this desperately need to consider applying libertarians to their subjects and deeply scrutinize their relationship to vaccination standpoints.

Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 1 out of 200
Alexithymia Questionnaire: 166/185 AQ: 49/50 EQ: 9/80

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 3:55 am

It's quite simple:
Those who want to be vaxxed, go for it!
Those who don't want to be vaxxed, then don't.

Nebogipfel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 4:05 am

Is it crazy to suspect that there is a correlation between mercury and autism? No.

Is there mercury in vaccines? Yes.Thimerosal.

Who is in denial here?