Page 9 of 10 [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 10:51 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I wish I was Poindexter: he wound be able to prove the Universe's infinite nature.

My great uncle wrote the music for an early version of Felix the Cat.

I just went to the WP Avatar section, and ended up on the cartoon character page. Like cats so I was drawn to both Felix, and to Tom (of "Tom and Jerry"), and on impulse went with Felix.

The Pink Panther is quite cool too, but he wasnt offered on the cartoon Avatar page.

Am not as expert as many WPers are about hunting down avatars on the web.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 11:09 am

In case you're interested: My great-uncle is named Max Kortlander. He died the year I was born.

I inherited none of his musical talent, nor the visual artistic talent of my third cousin, William Kortlander.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 3:18 pm

aghogday wrote:
To visual images in one's mind is the potential to make dreams reality.

Indeed, dreams can feel real. Did you know that blind people have four times more nightmares than sighted people?

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 4:14 pm

Humanaut wrote:
aghogday wrote:
To visual images in one's mind is the potential to make dreams reality.

Indeed, dreams can feel real. Did you know that blind people have four times more nightmares than sighted people?

Hmm.. not talking about nite-nite dreams, overall, in my comment; I'm talking about dreams as metaphors for MAGICK IN LIFE, and truly that's just pursuing greater human potential.

IT (MagicK) IS actually a term created by the so-called wickedest man in the world, Aleister Crowley, who cleverly relished A PR move that he was THE 'Beast' or 'Anti-Christ', per 666, as a hyperbolic PR move, to get his message across. BUT THAT idea about the beast was originated by his highly fundamentalist religious mom.

And guess what..

It worked.

Musical artists from the Beatles to Sting are influenced by that FREE VERSE POET WHO at the time of his life, went where no man before had dared to go......before..as far as history shows....

And as you may know.. the BEATLES.. BY THEMSELVES.. INFLUENCED LITERALLY MILLIONS MORE.. AND global culture too.....

'Horatio'.. there is more.. much much more.. than referenced links from Science.. however.. yes.. i always enjoy science too.. and use it as the back bone for my philosophies.. but not flesh and blood life.. overall.....

wHere THAT hits THE ROAD OF REAL LIFE.. off online into Heaven NOW.....the REAL place i live always NOW....;)

And by the way, thanks for that link on blind folks dreaming, it was very interesting to read..:)

And thank GOD, I can see to read now that I have absolutely no pain anywhere, and simply bliss...

That's A MIGHTY cool research project in and unto MYSELF..:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 4:49 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I wish I was Poindexter: he wound be able to prove the Universe's infinite nature.

My great uncle wrote the music for an early version of Felix the Cat.

I just went to the WP Avatar section, and ended up on the cartoon character page. Like cats so I was drawn to both Felix, and to Tom (of "Tom and Jerry"), and on impulse went with Felix.

The Pink Panther is quite cool too, but he wasnt offered on the cartoon Avatar page.

Am not as expert as many WPers are about hunting down avatars on the web.

It seems the avatar, per posting ones, are out of order, for now.

I may be toting that BB Rifle here forever, unless that software glitch gets fixed..:)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 3:54 am

Yeah, I was wondering about how avatars work here on WP.

Among the things that amaze me is how folks on WP (like Krafty) find these cartoon "quasi portraits" of themselves to use as avatars(like that guy in Krafty's avatar). I might go for some other kinda graphic, but Im curious as to where you all find these pre drawn pics of people who-arent you- but could play you on TV (so to speak).

A young WP lady with one of those cartoon people as an avatar posted her real pic recently, and I was amazed at how well her avatar matched her real self-not just in general looks-but even in "personality" for lack of better word.

Is there some vast catalog of cartoon faces you all pick from here on WP?

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 4:41 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Narrator wrote:
Here's a related question:
What's the answer to this equation?
2 + 15 + 9 x 0 =

The reason I ask is that I have used equations like this in doing tax calculations.
They're usually more in this format:
A = S + F + L x Q (solve for A)

It's important for my taxes to get this right.
So calculating this correctly is critical!

If it were 2+15+(9x0) then it would be 17
But as you have it written- I would say that the answer was zero. But on that the IRS might disagree!

You were correct with your first answer, 17,
but you don't need the brackets when you know the rules.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 4:46 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
In case you're interested: My great-uncle is named Max Kortlander. He died the year I was born.

I inherited none of his musical talent, nor the visual artistic talent of my third cousin, William Kortlander.

Speaking of avatars, yours has always reminded me of Kelsey Grammer, in his long hair days.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 4:57 am

naturalplastic wrote:
A young WP lady with one of those cartoon people as an avatar posted her real pic recently, and I was amazed at how well her avatar matched her real self-not just in general looks-but even in "personality" for lack of better word.

From time to time, movie and tv sites affiliate with artistic programmers for a short time. There used to be a site called Simpsonize Me. You would upload a pic of yourself and the software would produce a Simpsons character from it. And soon after the film Avatar was released, they had a thing on their website where you could get a Na'vi caricature of yourself. I'm sure there's other websites that do similar things.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 9:57 am

In reference to my avatar:

I have no idea who this person is. He just looks a little bit like me (not much, though).

He has a bit of that intellectual "air." When people meet me, they don't discern that "air" at all. I'm more like an amiable court jester.

I don't have the strong chin, for example.

My hair was sandy, sometimes blond, when I was younger. Depending on what I wear, I could appear mostly gray or "salt-and-pepper."

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 10:33 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Yeah, I was wondering about how avatars work here on WP.

Among the things that amaze me is how folks on WP (like Krafty) find these cartoon "quasi portraits" of themselves to use as avatars(like that guy in Krafty's avatar). I might go for some other kinda graphic, but Im curious as to where you all find these pre drawn pics of people who-arent you- but could play you on TV (so to speak).

http://all-free-download.com/free-vector/cartoon-characters-images.html

Here's one site that offers free downloads, and also you can just do a google search on cartoon character faces and literally thousands will come up, per potential jpeg image downloads.

When the new avatar function operates properly with the new software, it automatically converts any jpeg image under the size of 2GB to a potential avatar of your liking, including homemade digital photo images, of course.

You can still change the avatar on your account page but for some reason now it does not show on regular posts.

That problem started with the last major software update for the profile page that ended up being a downgrade, overall, unfortunately that I guess the administrators of the original new software are trying to get sorted out. :)

I like doing non-verbal physical comedy, drama, or even horror leaning stuff, and or free verse visual poetry, so a new Facebook profile photo of me, per the art of that is a common occurrence, and with the new easy functionality of the avatar feature here, I was doing it everyday here too, until the software glitch came about...

sophisticated
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Feb 2015, 7:23 pm

Narrator wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Narrator wrote:
2 + 15 + 9 x 0 =

The reason I ask is that I have used equations like this in doing tax calculations.

But as you have it written- I would say that the answer was zero. But on that the IRS might disagree!

I'm curious , what does 9 represent and why must it be multiplied by 0 ?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 8:30 pm

sophisticated wrote:
Narrator wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Narrator wrote:
2 + 15 + 9 x 0 =

Huh?

Its just a hypothetical problem that he's presenting. Like a teacher for a class.

Though its probably based on something Narrator has to do for his income taxes.

Prolly some business expense of Narrator's. It costs nine dollars a month to do something, and he did it for zero months.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 9:22 pm

sophisticated wrote:
Narrator wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Narrator wrote:
2 + 15 + 9 x 0 =

Being based on the formula A = S + F + L x Q, the L represents an amount (9) that must be multiplied by the number of months past the event date. If it is current (not past the date), then Q must equal zero.

Here's a better example. You carry an inventory of ducks, chickens and roosters. You must maintain a monthly audit of your stock, by average weight, in a spreadsheet. It will look something like this:

I've put in both the formulas and the results, so you can see a real example at work.
In the month shown, you didn't have any roosters left, hence you had zero roosters.
But you use the same spreadsheet every month, so must use the same formulas each time.

Expressed in an equation, the month shown above would look like this:

2.2 x 5 + 1.3 x 22 + 1.7 x 0 = 39.6
And you don't need brackets because of the maths rules.

But using your logic, the answer would be 41.3, which is incorrect.

sophisticated
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2015, 3:52 am

Narrator wrote:
sophisticated wrote:
Narrator wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Narrator wrote:
2 + 15 + 9 x 0 =

Being based on the formula A = S + F + L x Q, the L represents an amount (9) that must be multiplied by the number of months past the event date. If it is current (not past the date), then Q must equal zero.

Here's a better example. You carry an inventory of ducks, chickens and roosters. You must maintain a monthly audit of your stock, by average weight, in a spreadsheet. It will look something like this:

I've put in both the formulas and the results, so you can see a real example at work.
In the month shown, you didn't have any roosters left, hence you had zero roosters.
But you use the same spreadsheet every month, so must use the same formulas each time.

My answer would be 39.6

Because I'd treat 0 as the multiplicand.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 4:33 am

sophisticated wrote:
Narrator wrote:

My answer would be 39.6

Because I'd treat 0 as the multiplicand.

Why now?

Under your normal rule, 1.7 x 0 would equal 1.7

In mathematics, pure expressions such as 1.7 x 0 are not open for interpretation.
There is only one meaning for that expression, and only one answer.

Question: When I mentioned "maths rules," what rules am I talking about?