Page 9 of 11 [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 8:15 am

sophisticated wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Well...I meant it the way that you mean 1x0. If "one times zero equals one" then what does 43 times zero equal?

But since you asked...

IT DOESNT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE.

But since you seem to THINK that it makes a difference why dont you tell me both answers! The answer doing it each of the two ways. And explain your reasoning. I gotta see this!

If 43 is the multiplier what is the answer (what is nothing multiplied 43 times)?

And what if the zero is the multiplier ( if you have zero bags of cookies, and each bag has 43 cookies, then how many cookie do you have)?

Multiplier = a person or thing that multiplies.

Multiplicand = a quantity which is to be multiplied by another (the multiplier)

If 43 is the multiplier and 0 is the multiplicand then 43x0=0 (e.g. if you have $0 and multiply those dollars 43 dollars you are left with $0 dollars )

If 43 is the multiplicand and 0 is the multiplier then 43x0=43 (e.g. 43 cents multiplied by 0 cents = 43 cents)

Okay...two problems.

No wait.

There is whole BOAT load of flaws in your logic.

Let's break this down!

first of all (and this IS just a convention) you read equations left to right. So 2X3=6 is read as "two times the quantity 3 equals 6". The number on the left is the number doing the multiplying (is the multiplier), and the one on the right is multiplicand (the object being multiplied).

You consistently write the equation in question as 1x0=1. So that would mean one is the multiplier, and zero multiplicant. But according to what you just said in the above post that would yield "zero" and not one.

So all along you apparently did not mean 1x0=1. You meant 0x1=1. You have been stating your own proposition wrong all along!

NEXT

Even THAT way: "zero times one" does NOT equal one. It equals zero.

Ditto 43 times zero.

That is also zero.

But actually I admit that there IS a KIND of logic to what youre saying. If youre multiply something no times then you havent multiplied it so you would have one of that thing.

But here is the thing: if "zero times 43 is 43" then what is "ONE time 43"?

SURELY (please tell me that you agree) you would agree that "one times 43" equals 43.
So how can BOTH zero times 43 equal 43, AND one times 43 equal 43? Wouldnt that make one and zero the same number?

AND...one other thing.

Its not "zero cents times 43 cents". Its "zero cents times 43". I know that in addition and subtraction its "43 cents minus ten cents equals 33 cents". But when youre multiplying pennies its by abstract quantities. Youre not multiplying cents by cents.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 9:04 am

All this logic makes me want to seek a Last Cause.....which, of course, doesn't exist because of the Universe's infinite nature.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 9:17 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
All this logic makes me want to seek a Last Cause.....which, of course, doesn't exist because of the Universe's infinite nature.

How do you know that it is infinite?

It supposedly had a "beginning" with the Big Bang.

And it might well have an end (might be with a whimper, might be with a bang).

sophisticated
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Feb 2015, 9:34 am

naturalplastic wrote:

Okay...two problems.

No wait.

There is whole BOAT load of flaws in your logic.

Let's break this down!

first of all (and this IS just a convention) you read equations left to right. So 2X3=6 is read as "two times the quantity 3 equals 6". The number on the left is the number doing the multiplying (is the multiplier), and the one on the right is multiplicand (the object being multiplied).

It is perfectly acceptable to read it the other way round.

naturalplastic wrote:
You consistently write the equation in question as 1x0=1. So that would mean one is the multiplier, and zero multiplicant. But according to what you just said in the above post that would yield "zero" and not one.

So all along you apparently did not mean 1x0=1. You meant 0x1=1. You have been stating your own proposition wrong all along!

I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear enough but I did try to explain that I was treating 0 as the multiplier earlier.

I think from now on I will do it the other way round to avoid confusing others.

naturalplastic wrote:
NEXT

Even THAT way: "zero times one" does NOT equal one. It equals zero.

Ditto 43 times zero.

That is also zero.

I don't agree with this at all.

naturalplastic wrote:
But actually I admit that there IS a KIND of logic to what youre saying. If youre multiply something no times then you havent multiplied it so you would have one of that thing.

But here is the thing: if "zero times 43 is 43" then what is "ONE time 43"?

SURELY (please tell me that you agree) you would agree that "one times 43" equals 43.
So how can BOTH zero times 43 equal 43, AND one times 43 equal 43? Wouldnt that make one and zero the same number?

Good question.

I don't have an answer though.

HAHAHAHAHA

naturalplastic wrote:
AND...one other thing.

Its not "zero cents times 43 cents". Its "zero cents times 43". I know that in addition and subtraction its "43 cents minus ten cents equals 33 cents". But when youre multiplying pennies its by abstract quantities. Youre not multiplying cents by cents.

Definitely need to get some sleep.

Last edited by sophisticated on 16 Feb 2015, 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 9:36 am

Humanaut wrote:
Does dyscalculia lead to asecularism, or is it the other way around?

DOES Dyscalculia lead to 'asecularism'..

Not likely, if Dyscalculia, the learning disability associated with doing math, is related to non-verbal disorder, as it often is.

And not likely if that type of non-verbal learning disorder, includes lesions on the right hemisphere of the brain that can make it incredibly hard to visual images in one's mind.

And by the way, non-verbal learning disorder symptoms, where folks often excel on the verbal portion of standard I.Q. tests and do not do so well on the performance section, which includes visualizing images, is associated with approximately 50% of Asperger's Syndrome cases diagnosed in the U.S., assessed as such in scientific research.

To visual images in one's mind is the potential to make dreams reality.

It's the human 'Quantum' mind in visual thinking mode and ACTION IN JUST DOING IT AND MAKING IT HAPPEN, WHEN THE FLESH AND BLOOD HITS THE real ROADs of life.

It works.

It works.

It works.

IT CAN AND WILL WORK..

Unless one cannot visualize the dreams as images to make them flesh and blood human reality on the REAL ROADS of life...

Life is LIKE 'magicK' when one can visualize dreams to make them come TRUE.

Life is filled with the 'PRESENTS' OF this 'GOD' thingy when one can visualize dreams to make them come TRUE.

'GOD' IS 'MAGICK'
'MAGICK' IS 'GOD'..

OTHERWISE KNOWN AS THE REALIZATION OF MORE OF HUMAN POTENTIAL aka THE HIGHER POWER THINGY...

IT'S NOT HARD TO IMAGINE that WHEN ONE'S VISUALIZED dreams COME true THROUGH THE
HUMAN 'QUANTUM' 'magicKal' POWERS OF imagination AND creativity in FLESH AND BLOOD REALITY on the roads of REAL life.

And when one can write dreams down on paper, or types them in digital BRIGHT LIT SCREEN print and looks at them again and again..

Perhaps THAT fills the 'REQUIREMENT' to visualize dreams.. JUST DO THEM AND MAKE THEM HAPPEN WHEN THE FLESH AND BLOOD HITS THE REAL ROADS OF LIFE..

TO make DREAMS come True.

For folks who cannot visualize dreams to make them come true..

Perhaps to write them down and view them...

IS

Divine, in metaphor of course.....

But of course, if one has no 'MagicK' EMOTIONS OF Human EMOTING RELATIVE FREE will, faith, hope, and or belief in one's own human nature and trust in the rest of 'Mother' Nature 'True' aka GOD that can be a

REAL HANDICAP

TOO.....

TO IMAGINE INTERNALLY OR externally view, in the case of symbols of print or other tangible evidence of VIEW AND CREATE dreams coming TRUE WHEN REALITY does hit the REAL roads of life, with the emoting power of human relative free will, faith, hope and or belief, WITH TRUST IN MOTHER NATURE true AKA GOD IS so-called 'DIVINE'.

AND just because I JUST systemized a meaning for GOD, makes it no less incredible when one experiences this HIGHER POWER THINGY IN DREAMS OF LIFE COME TRUE WHEN THE FLESH AND BLOOD HITS THE ROAD.

AND THAT MY FRIEND, I CAN PROVE IN CASE STUDY SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE.

AS I DOCUMENTED THE WHOLE DAM THING IN REAL TIME, WHEN IT HAPPENED IN MY LIFE.

FROM THE TIME I COULD NO LONGER VISUALIZE ANYTHING IN MY MIND BUT TEXT..

TO THE TIME WHEN I PUT IT IN DIGITAL PRINT FIRST FOR DREAMS..

AND IT ALL COMES TRUE IN so called 'UNBELIEVABLE' AMAZING REALITY FOR ME...

And yes, most of it is still documented here...too....

But the short version is I was totally and permanently assessed as disabled, both medically and legally, with absolutely no prognosis for recovery or possibility of cure from doctors for the synergy of 19 medically documented disorders, including the life threatening suicide disease of type two Trigeminal Neuralgia during all waking hours, for five LONG Years that was LIKE HAVING ONE'S EAR AND EYE DRILLED LIKE TEETH WITH NO NOVOCAINE, making the effective use of eyes and ears impossible for two years and almost impossible for the next three years, except for a dimlit screen and still incredible pain, when my only dreams in sleep are slides of text rolling on my mind's 'screen', in dreams at night.

And additionally, Sjogren's syndrome, where my eyes made close to zero tears, where attempting to see was like swimming in salt water with eyes wide open..

And Dysautonomia, where my blood pressure and heart rate are no longer controlled, in function, properly, by my autonomic nervous system in synch, and walking around the block makes one dizzy about to pass out or even standing up after eating a meal.

And that's only three, there was other stuff like Fibromyalgia, Alexithymia, Anhedonia, PTSD and associated panic attacks and severe generalized anxiety, depression, etc. etc. etc....

The Autism Spectrum Disorder thingy I was diagnosed with, was the LEAST OF MY CONCERN, AS I HAD ALREADY OVERCOME THAT WELL BEFORE IN LIFE, enough to retire with financial independence with or without early retirement from a quarter of a century of government employment ending at the GS9 to 11 pay grade rate....

'So let IT BE WRITTEN SO LET IT BE DONE.'

I started with a personal blog for public purview..

EVIDENCED IN MY CASE, IRREFUTABLY SO

AS WORKING WHEN THE FLESH AND BLOOD HITS THE REALITY OF THE ROADS OF LIFE..

ALL THE MEDICAL DISORDERS ARE RECOVERED OR SO-CALLED, IN REMISSION.

AND now I am TERMED a Legend of Dance in my metro area, BY OTHERS, dance walking an all new style of martial arts mixed ballet everywhere I go in public now over three 3000 miles, in a little over 17 months..

And the strength of my legs is now more than any Marine in my elite military gym, me at age 54, leg pressing 930LBS on Nautilus parallel leg press free weight machine 12 times, as already provided evidence for here, when the weight was 'only' 810LBS....

Oh yeah, and I write free verse poetry too, LAUDED BY REAL LIFE PUBLISHING POETS, and I never did anything like that before I got sick..

The HIGHER power of GOD IN HUMAN NATURE FULLER POTENTIAL is REAL.

And tapping into this metaphorical thingy...

IS REAL TOO..

FOR THOSE WHO MAKE THEIR DREAMS COME TRUE, THROUGH VISUALIZATION OF HUMAN 'QUANTUM' POWERS OF IMAGINATION AND CREATIVITY SET FREE WITH THE TRUE EMOTING POWER OF HUMAN RELATIVE free will, faith, hope and belief in one's own INSTINCTUAL AND INTUITIVE POWERS IN ALIGNMENT trust WITH Mother NATURE TRUE 'who' has ANOTHER METAPHORICAL NAME CALLED GOD, TOO.

I JUST TOOK THE TIME TO EVIDENCE IT,

AS I WAS A SCIENTIST BEFORE I BECAME A DREAMER AND A DREAMER BEFORE I BECAME A SCIENTIST, BORN AGAIN..NOW..

IN DREAMS COME TRUE, when MY life HIT THE REAL ROAD ROADS OF REALITY NOW AGAIN, ALWAYS NOW.

Believe it or NOT IT's ALL TRUE

AND THE BEST THING OF ALL,

IS,

I CAN PROVE IT TOO, IRREFUTABLY AS SUCH.

IT'S TRUTH.

AND UNLESS I AM SOME KIND OF REAL SUPERMAN, other folks CAN DO THIS TOO.

I HAVE human relative free will, faith, hope, and belief they too, CAN JUST DO THIS TOO...!

And sure there IS ALREADY EVIDENCE, AT LEAST SOME EVIDENCE, OF OTHER FOLKS WHO DO STUFF LIKE THIS
TOO, WITH THE HIGHER POTENTIAL OF HUMAN BEING REALIZED WHEN THE FLESH AND BLOOD HITS

the REAL ROADS OF LIFE.

YES, THIS IS THE SAME BASIC metaphorical sh** or so-called gibberish that THE 'TYPE' OF folks per so-called Jesus, Buddha, Muhammad and others were AND are STILL talking about Per MOVING METAPHORICAL HUMAN POTENTIAL MOUNTAINS FULLER realized per this metaphorical HIGHER POWER OF GOD THINGY...

THE ONLY real DIFFERENCE now IS the TECHNOLOGY IS AVAILABLE TO RECORD AND DOCUMENT THE TRUTH.

I 'just DID IT'.

THAT'S all. ;)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 9:39 am

I wish I was Poindexter: he wound be able to prove the Universe's infinite nature.

My great uncle wrote the music for an early version of Felix the Cat.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 9:55 am

Ugh.. double post...

Last edited by aghogday on 16 Feb 2015, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 10:01 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I wish I was Poindexter: he wound be able to prove the Universe's infinite nature.

That's cool..

i like Felix the 'CAT' too..

But..

My favorite 'cat' is the Pink Panther.

"He's" REALLY cool too..:)

'He' wasn't real

Until 'someone' visualized, imagined and created 'him' too...

And that's 'MAGICK'

TOO..:)

It's kind of like "BETWITCHED''

BUT "IT'S",

real TOO. ;)

SUCH A CLEVER 'CAT'

that 'GOD' cat IS....

TOO.

;)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 10:51 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

I just went to the WP Avatar section, and ended up on the cartoon character page. Like cats so I was drawn to both Felix, and to Tom (of "Tom and Jerry"), and on impulse went with Felix.

The Pink Panther is quite cool too, but he wasnt offered on the cartoon Avatar page.

Am not as expert as many WPers are about hunting down avatars on the web.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 11:09 am

In case you're interested: My great-uncle is named Max Kortlander. He died the year I was born.

I inherited none of his musical talent, nor the visual artistic talent of my third cousin, William Kortlander.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 3:18 pm

aghogday wrote:

Indeed, dreams can feel real. Did you know that blind people have four times more nightmares than sighted people?

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 4:14 pm

Humanaut wrote:
aghogday wrote:

Indeed, dreams can feel real. Did you know that blind people have four times more nightmares than sighted people?

Hmm.. not talking about nite-nite dreams, overall, in my comment; I'm talking about dreams as metaphors for MAGICK IN LIFE, and truly that's just pursuing greater human potential.

IT (MagicK) IS actually a term created by the so-called wickedest man in the world, Aleister Crowley, who cleverly relished A PR move that he was THE 'Beast' or 'Anti-Christ', per 666, as a hyperbolic PR move, to get his message across. BUT THAT idea about the beast was originated by his highly fundamentalist religious mom.

And guess what..

It worked.

Musical artists from the Beatles to Sting are influenced by that FREE VERSE POET WHO at the time of his life, went where no man before had dared to go......before..as far as history shows....

And as you may know.. the BEATLES.. BY THEMSELVES.. INFLUENCED LITERALLY MILLIONS MORE.. AND global culture too.....

'Horatio'.. there is more.. much much more.. than referenced links from Science.. however.. yes.. i always enjoy science too.. and use it as the back bone for my philosophies.. but not flesh and blood life.. overall.....

wHere THAT hits THE ROAD OF REAL LIFE.. off online into Heaven NOW.....the REAL place i live always NOW....;)

And by the way, thanks for that link on blind folks dreaming, it was very interesting to read..:)

And thank GOD, I can see to read now that I have absolutely no pain anywhere, and simply bliss...

That's A MIGHTY cool research project in and unto MYSELF..:)

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 4:49 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I just went to the WP Avatar section, and ended up on the cartoon character page. Like cats so I was drawn to both Felix, and to Tom (of "Tom and Jerry"), and on impulse went with Felix.

The Pink Panther is quite cool too, but he wasnt offered on the cartoon Avatar page.

Am not as expert as many WPers are about hunting down avatars on the web.

It seems the avatar, per posting ones, are out of order, for now.

I may be toting that BB Rifle here forever, unless that software glitch gets fixed..:)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 3:54 am

Yeah, I was wondering about how avatars work here on WP.

Among the things that amaze me is how folks on WP (like Krafty) find these cartoon "quasi portraits" of themselves to use as avatars(like that guy in Krafty's avatar). I might go for some other kinda graphic, but Im curious as to where you all find these pre drawn pics of people who-arent you- but could play you on TV (so to speak).

A young WP lady with one of those cartoon people as an avatar posted her real pic recently, and I was amazed at how well her avatar matched her real self-not just in general looks-but even in "personality" for lack of better word.

Is there some vast catalog of cartoon faces you all pick from here on WP?

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 4:41 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Narrator wrote:
Here's a related question:
What's the answer to this equation?
2 + 15 + 9 x 0 =

The reason I ask is that I have used equations like this in doing tax calculations.
They're usually more in this format:
A = S + F + L x Q (solve for A)

It's important for my taxes to get this right.
So calculating this correctly is critical!

If it were 2+15+(9x0) then it would be 17
But as you have it written- I would say that the answer was zero. But on that the IRS might disagree!

You were correct with your first answer, 17,
but you don't need the brackets when you know the rules.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.