Out in Public Wearing an Indian Chief's Head Dress?

Page 2 of 5 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

CoffinCrawler
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jun 2014
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 189
Location: montreal, canada

26 Feb 2015, 1:32 am

Cultural appropriation is an insulting trend. Considering we've taken pretty much everything from the indigenous people, including their land, to the point where only 5% of them remain within the world's population... the least we can do is leave them in peace with their own spiritual traditions.

Also, reading that wiki page someone posted above, it states that "the headdress should not be worn without the consent of the leader of the tribe(s)". Each feather on the bonnet needs to be earned. So please... don't.



ominous
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jul 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 961
Location: Victoria, Australia

26 Feb 2015, 1:35 am

Welp, read the links I offered. If you still don't see it, there's not a lot of help I can offer you.



ominous
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jul 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 961
Location: Victoria, Australia

26 Feb 2015, 1:37 am

CoffinCrawler wrote:
Cultural appropriation is an insulting trend. Considering we've taken pretty much everything from the indigenous people, including their land, to the point where only 5% of them remain within the world's population... the least we can do is leave them in peace with their own spiritual traditions.

Also, reading that wiki page someone posted above, it states that "the headdress should not be worn without the consent of the leader of the tribe(s)". Each feather on the bonnet needs to be earned. So please... don't.


Thank you for getting it. Every time a white person gets it, a fairy hell bent on genocide and entitlement dies. ;)



CoffinCrawler
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jun 2014
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 189
Location: montreal, canada

26 Feb 2015, 1:39 am

ominous wrote:
CoffinCrawler wrote:
Cultural appropriation is an insulting trend. Considering we've taken pretty much everything from the indigenous people, including their land, to the point where only 5% of them remain within the world's population... the least we can do is leave them in peace with their own spiritual traditions.

Also, reading that wiki page someone posted above, it states that "the headdress should not be worn without the consent of the leader of the tribe(s)". Each feather on the bonnet needs to be earned. So please... don't.


Thank you for getting it. Every time a white person gets it, a fairy hell bent on genocide and entitlement dies. ;)

Haha, thanks. I'm not white though. :wink:



ominous
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jul 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 961
Location: Victoria, Australia

26 Feb 2015, 1:42 am

CoffinCrawler wrote:
ominous wrote:
CoffinCrawler wrote:
Cultural appropriation is an insulting trend. Considering we've taken pretty much everything from the indigenous people, including their land, to the point where only 5% of them remain within the world's population... the least we can do is leave them in peace with their own spiritual traditions.

Also, reading that wiki page someone posted above, it states that "the headdress should not be worn without the consent of the leader of the tribe(s)". Each feather on the bonnet needs to be earned. So please... don't.


Thank you for getting it. Every time a white person gets it, a fairy hell bent on genocide and entitlement dies. ;)

Haha, thanks. I'm not white though. :wink:


Oh never mind. I was hopeful. ;) I guess someone else is going to have to kill the genocidal, entitlement fairies.

CLAP YOUR HANDS IF YOU BELIEVE.

:P



CoffinCrawler
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jun 2014
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 189
Location: montreal, canada

26 Feb 2015, 1:51 am

I wish I was as hopeful as you are. I'm far too cynical to expect awareness or cause for concern over these issues. Native American women are kidnapped and found dead all the time because nobody cares enough about them to actively investigate these cases. They're an endangered group of humans and it's saddening.



aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Nov 2010
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,469

26 Feb 2015, 2:01 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
You know, tall and long with the feathers? Like the one below.


Image


I just now wondered, if I wore that out in public where I live, which is pretty much Indian Country, if a Native American would feel offended and say something to me? I honestly don't know if someone would or not. I do not have a head dress, anyway.

Do any of you think you could wear one out in public where you are and no one would bat an eyelash?

The governor's daughter, who happens to be in a progressive band, wore one for the sake of fashion and she got pretty much raked over the coals for it but I am not a celebrity so I wonder, would people be offended if they saw me in one?

What I really wonder is, what if everyone wore a headdress one day so you look around and everybody has one on. Not much anyone could do about it, then, because even if they tried to confront someone, there would be so many, no way they could confront all who wore one. Right?


Lana Del Rey WEARS the AMERICAN INDIAN HEADDRESS for 64Million public views.. at the 7 minute point in the video linked below.. and no one complains.. at least NOT in the Youtube comments.. section...



Of course she IS REALLY FREE.. "AND WILD.. HAS FUN.. AND BELIEVES IN THE COUNTRY AMERICA USED TO BE.. the person she wants to become.. the freedom of the OPEN ROAD.. AND HER MOTTO IS THE SAME AS EVER.. she believes in the kindness of strangers.. and when she's at war with herself SHE RIDES... she just rides... and then she states.. who are you.. are you in touch with all your 'darkest' fantasies.. have you created a life where you can experience them... i have.. i am F**King CRAZY..

BUT I AM FREE..."

And that's what the REAL AMERICAN INDIANS DID AND DO TOO.. THEN AND NOW....

Yes.. I AM PART OF THAT... free thingy....TOO..:)

"I JUST DO IT"..

AND TRULY that's all that separates folks like Lana and me.. from the rest of the herd.. or sheep......

WE DANCE WALK THE TALK..... LIKE THE AMERICAN INDIANS DID.. AND DO TOO..:)


_________________
KATiE MiA FredericK!iI

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick


ominous
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jul 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 961
Location: Victoria, Australia

26 Feb 2015, 2:24 am

CoffinCrawler wrote:
I wish I was as hopeful as you are. I'm far too cynical to expect awareness or cause for concern over these issues. Native American women are kidnapped and found dead all the time because nobody cares enough about them to actively investigate these cases. They're an endangered group of humans and it's saddening.


I'm not hopeful. I'm sure all the white entitlement that is in this thread will continue to demonstrate why I'm not, too. I was being facetious. I think the years of exhaustingly trying to explain these issues to an entitled white majority has landed me smack dab in the reality that facetiousness is > bashing my head into a wall in perpetuity.

Stay tuned for more entitled white majority ideas who are 'entitled' to their opinions and 'entitled' to appropriate whatever the hell they like, ad nauseum, below. It occurs to me (now) that the OP didn't actually post this because she wanted native input, or an explanation of why appropriating Native culture is crap; she posted it to get a bunch of other white people telling her how right she was. Oops, my autism strikes again. :roll:



ominous
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jul 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 961
Location: Victoria, Australia

26 Feb 2015, 2:30 am

aghogday wrote:

And that's what the REAL AMERICAN INDIANS DID AND DO TOO.. THEN AND NOW....



Please tell us more about what American Indians do...Ah, such noble savages they are! So free, etc.! In the country America used to be before all the colonisation and genocide and stuff, or after, or something. Murrica!

AND NOBODY* SAID A THING ABOUT LANA.

http://race.iheartsociology.com/2012/11 ... as-a-prop/
http://jezebel.com/dear-lana-del-rey-yo ... 1479863180
http://sundial.csun.edu/2012/11/annihil ... n-culture/

*no white people in pop culture, who are the ones whose opinions matter most

(In the interest of my sanity I reckon I'll unsubscribe from this thread.)



aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Nov 2010
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,469

26 Feb 2015, 2:31 am

ominous wrote:
CoffinCrawler wrote:
I wish I was as hopeful as you are. I'm far too cynical to expect awareness or cause for concern over these issues. Native American women are kidnapped and found dead all the time because nobody cares enough about them to actively investigate these cases. They're an endangered group of humans and it's saddening.


I'm not hopeful. I'm sure all the white entitlement that is in this thread will continue to demonstrate why I'm not, too. I was being facetious. I think the years of exhaustingly trying to explain these issues to an entitled white majority has landed me smack dab in the reality that facetiousness is > bashing my head into a wall in perpetuity.

Stay tuned for more entitled white majority ideas who are 'entitled' to their opinions and 'entitled' to appropriate whatever the hell they like, ad nauseum, below. It occurs to me (now) that the OP didn't actually post this because she wanted native input, or an explanation of why appropriating Native culture is crap; she posted it to get a bunch of other white people telling her how right she was. Oops, my autism strikes again. :roll:


Not sure WHO YOU ARE REFERRING to.. but assumptions are not always correct.. My wife looks almost identical to the Indian girl above... PHOTOS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST.. and my great great grandfather is full SIOUX INDIAN.. AND MY GREAT GREAT grandmother is a Cherokee Princess..

Now that doesn't make me all AMERICAN Indian, or even most of one, per technical specifications... but TRUST ME.. I FOR ONE HAVE EARNED MY FEATHERS, WORKING WITH THE 'GREAT SPIRIT' HEADDRESS OR NOT.... It is culture that matters.. NOT BLOOD... AS FAR as indigenous.. per INDIAN CULTURE GOES...

AND I'M AS BROWN AS THAT GIRL UP THERE TOO.. IF YOU DIDN'T NOTICE.. yes.. there are blonde haired blue eyed Indians too....WITH BROWN TANS TOO....

AND PC IS never EVER FOR ME..AS REAL INDIANS.. DON'T PLAY THAT GAME....


_________________
KATiE MiA FredericK!iI

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick


aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Nov 2010
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,469

26 Feb 2015, 2:33 am

ominous wrote:
aghogday wrote:

And that's what the REAL AMERICAN INDIANS DID AND DO TOO.. THEN AND NOW....



Please tell us more about what American Indians do...Ah, such noble savages they are! So free, etc.! In the country America used to be before all the colonisation and genocide and stuff, or after, or something. Murrica!

AND NOBODY* SAID A THING ABOUT LANA.

http://race.iheartsociology.com/2012/11 ... as-a-prop/
http://jezebel.com/dear-lana-del-rey-yo ... 1479863180
http://sundial.csun.edu/2012/11/annihil ... n-culture/

*no white people in pop culture, who are the ones whose opinions matter most

(In the interest of my sanity I reckon I'll unsubscribe from this thread.)


IF YOU read what I said..

please note:

AT LEAST NOT IN THE COMMENTS SECTION of the YouTube video..

THAT excludes all others sources.. per pedantic talk....


_________________
KATiE MiA FredericK!iI

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick


ominous
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jul 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 961
Location: Victoria, Australia

26 Feb 2015, 2:36 am

aghogday wrote:
AND MY GREAT GREAT grandmother is a Cherokee Princess..



:lmao:
http://www.nativetimes.com/index.php/li ... e-princess



aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Nov 2010
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,469

26 Feb 2015, 2:43 am

ominous wrote:
aghogday wrote:
AND MY GREAT GREAT grandmother is a Cherokee Princess..



:lmao:
http://www.nativetimes.com/index.php/li ... e-princess


NO sh** it's a figure of speech....


_________________
KATiE MiA FredericK!iI

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick


ominous
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jul 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 961
Location: Victoria, Australia

26 Feb 2015, 2:43 am



You're full of crap. I'm calling you out. Tell me more about your people.



ominous
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jul 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 961
Location: Victoria, Australia

26 Feb 2015, 2:45 am

aghogday wrote:
ominous wrote:
aghogday wrote:
AND MY GREAT GREAT grandmother is a Cherokee Princess..



:lmao:
http://www.nativetimes.com/index.php/li ... e-princess


NO sh** it's a figure of speech....


...that white people use who are part of the Wannabe Tribe.

http://blog.longreads.com/2014/08/04/wh ... -thin-air/