Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 5:18 am

http://www.africaresource.com/rasta/ses ... te-slaves/ This is true and not too many people know about this but you don't see all descendants whining about it!My Ancestors were slaves to the British but do you see me blaming Brits or hating Brits for everything? Nope I was never alive during that time and my ancestors owners are long dead.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 11:06 am

Heh, the Anglo-Saxons used to be sold as slaves too. Before that, it was the Celts; before them, the natives who's name we don't know because the Celts committed genocide on them.

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Feb 2015, 11:26 am

Implication being that much more recently-marginalized groups (like blacks) are "whiners" and "complainers" for highlighting their hardships imposed by much more recent slavery and institutionalized discrimination which has only started to lessen within a living generation. Gotcha. :roll:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 3:02 pm

In all fairness, there are still plenty of people in Ireland and Northern Ireland who feel they have an ax to grind with the English. Then there are some Americans, like Senator Roger King, an Irish American who has defended the Irish Republican Army as freedom fighters - the same IRA who are a terrorist organization that has spilled the blood of innocents for the sake of hatred of Protestants and the English. All this, when King slams Islamic terrorists!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 4:54 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
http://www.africaresource.com/rasta/sesostris-the-great-the-egyptian-hercules/the-irish-slave-trade-forgotten-white-slaves/ This is true and not too many people know about this but you don't see all descendants whining about it!My Ancestors were slaves to the British but do you see me blaming Brits or hating Brits for everything? Nope I was never alive during that time and my ancestors owners are long dead.

This is a self defeating post.

you're saying that people shouldnt complain about their ancestors being enslaved.
And the reason being is that there is a certain ethnic group whom you say "you dont see complaining".
And the ethnic group you say that "you dont see complaining" are the Irish-who are world famous for BEING SEEN obsessing about being victimized by the British in their story and song.

Dont know where you got the idea that the Irish a race of amnesiacs about past oppression. Theyre anything but.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 5:41 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
In all fairness, there are still plenty of people in Ireland and Northern Ireland who feel they have an ax to grind with the English. Then there are some Americans, like Senator Roger King, an Irish American who has defended the Irish Republican Army as freedom fighters - the same IRA who are a terrorist organization that has spilled the blood of innocents for the sake of hatred of Protestants and the English. All this, when King slams Islamic terrorists!

There are plenty of people who do not. Quite a lot of people in the Republic, who are not holding much animosity at all. In fact relations between the UK have never been better. We also work eachother's countries and trade.

NI is a subject I have rarely heard an an accurate opinion coming from the US. The Ulster Protestant aren't English they are Scots Irish Presbyterian (and other groups too).

NI economically speaking has no economic advantage for the UK. We subsides it. There reason why is separate is becuase the people that live there and have done for centuries have a different opinions on their allegiance.

Personally I think that unification with Irish Republic won't happen, being realistic. But I think NI could be a separate country, and could come up with an economic plan much like some of the small European countries.

There are a lot of myths about the troubles. I suggest watch an excellent play on the subject called the The Big Fellah.

NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 8:30 pm

I'm 1/4 Éirish, but I'd been unaware of this. The forced service in the Royal Navy was pretty bad, too. Insubordination could get you keel hauled or 'flogged around the port', and both were often lethal. The work wouldn't have been much better than plantation labor, and the food could kill you (literally).

On a similar topic, Japanese companies like Mitsui and Kawasaki ran baking, putrid slave ships during WWII. There were probably huge numbers of Chinese and Koreans, but there were also a lot of American and European POWs - not just soldiers, but many captured civilians. I knew at least three, and one of my relatives was starved almost to death in a concentration camp in Japan when it was finally liberated.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2015, 12:05 pm

drh1138 wrote:
Implication being that much more recently-marginalized groups (like blacks) are "whiners" and "complainers" for highlighting their hardships imposed by much more recent slavery and institutionalized discrimination which has only started to lessen within a living generation. Gotcha. :roll:
Nobody gives a s**t about white slaves thats why it was never taught in History class.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2015, 5:07 pm

The history of slavery goes way back to ancient history, right up to the present. It has included almost every culture and ethnicity.

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2015, 10:53 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
drh1138 wrote:
Nobody gives a s**t about white slaves thats why it was never taught in History class.

Whites are doing pretty well for themselves nonetheless. Kind of goes with the territory of conquering just about everyone else.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 11:35 am

naturalplastic wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
http://www.africaresource.com/rasta/sesostris-the-great-the-egyptian-hercules/the-irish-slave-trade-forgotten-white-slaves/ This is true and not too many people know about this but you don't see all descendants whining about it!My Ancestors were slaves to the British but do you see me blaming Brits or hating Brits for everything? Nope I was never alive during that time and my ancestors owners are long dead.

you're saying that people shouldnt complain about their ancestors being enslaved.
And the reason being is that there is a certain ethnic group whom you say "you dont see complaining".
And the ethnic group you say that "you dont see complaining" are the Irish-who are world famous for BEING SEEN obsessing about being victimized by the British in their story and song.

Dont know where you got the idea that the Irish a race of amnesiacs about past oppression. Theyre anything but.

At some point the past must be let go.

For example, I have no issue with any Germans born since 1945. They do not bear the guilt of some of their relatives or the people who were responsible for the Holocaust. Since Germany has reconstructed itself they have behaved in an exemplary manner and the have the best economy in Europe. There Germans have become a Great Nation and they have done so buy pursuing the ways of commerce and peace, not plunder and conquest as the Nazis did. It is ironic that Germany achieved its greatness, even as Hitler fantasized, and not by the means Hitler promoted.

I could make a similar remark about Japan. The Japanese people have set aside war and hold their place in the world through production, trade and commerce.

I would like to see the United States do the same.

ruvey

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 1:21 pm

ruveyn wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:

At some point the past must be let go.

For example, I have no issue with any Germans born since 1945. They do not bear the guilt of some of their relatives or the people who were responsible for the Holocaust. Since Germany has reconstructed itself they have behaved in an exemplary manner and the have the best economy in Europe. There Germans have become a Great Nation and they have done so buy pursuing the ways of commerce and peace, not plunder and conquest as the Nazis did. It is ironic that Germany achieved its greatness, even as Hitler fantasized, and not by the means Hitler promoted.

I could make a similar remark about Japan. The Japanese people have set aside war and hold their place in the world through production, trade and commerce.

I would like to see the United States do the same.

ruvey

Amen. I think it should be added, though, that Klaus Von Stauffenberg and the rest of the so called "Black Orchestra," which had conspired to assassinate Hitler and overthrow the Third Reich (in great part because they had learned about the death camps), had exonerated themselves through their actions and intent, though their efforts ultimately failed, and most of their number had been hanged with piano wire.

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 2:51 pm

To OP - Exactly how is the conduct of some people amongst other races relevant in your day-to-day life?

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 3:01 pm

KagamineLen wrote:
To OP - Exactly how is the conduct of some people amongst other races relevant in your day-to-day life?
Not really relevant at all, its just that constantly bringing up the past and blaming others and being hateful of others alive in this current day who have nothing to do with the past is the problem. The thing is times change and people change while others just want to be spiteful and continue to be hateful not to mention try to take credit from those who have suffered in the past.

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 3:06 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
KagamineLen wrote:
Not really relevant at all, its just that constantly bringing up the past and blaming others and being hateful of others alive in this current day who have nothing to do with the past is the problem. The thing is times change and people change while others just want to be spiteful and continue to be hateful not to mention try to take credit from those who have suffered in the past.

People in all races and classes do things like that. The trick is to give them the attention they deserve. Which is none. People who live their own lives and make the best of them disregard those who play the blame game, and are much happier for it.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 3:16 pm

The slave trade of Africans had a lasting negative effect on the social structure of the U.S. That is why it still carries current grievance. The slave trade of Irish had nowhere near that effect and modern U.S. people of Irish heritage are not living with its' aftermath. That is the difference.

I learned about it in history class as a kid in the U.S. under the guise of 'indentured servant'. The writer in the link you posted says that 'slave' was the accurate term and the term 'indentured servant' has innacurately minimized what was done to those people. However, there weren't centuries of social fallout which still linger today, unlike with the trade in Africans.