Page 3 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 1:15 am

No. I don't believe Asians should be discriminated against. I don't believe in quotas. I said "I'm sorry Asians feel discriminated against." How does that make me advocate discrimination against Asians? I don't see the logic.

You just don't agree with me about diversity. Well.....we can't agree about everything, can we?

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 2:26 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
No. I don't believe Asians should be discriminated against. I don't believe in quotas. I said "I'm sorry Asians feel discriminated against." How does that make me advocate discrimination against Asians? I don't see the logic.

You just don't agree with me about diversity. Well.....we can't agree about everything, can we?

I interpreted "I feel sorry" as you minimizing the racial discrimination that is used against Asians. Because within that post you say you believe diversity is better than being homogenous. So it seemed like you were telling Asians that it was tough luck, because the end result of diversity justifies the means of discrimination. I am corrected.

I find the topic interesting because 'Diversity' is generally implemented as racial discrimination against some "races" to help other "races". And the people who promote 'Diversity' will say they are fighting racism. ;)

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 4:08 am

Racism goes everywhere there is bigotry towards ethnic groups all around even minorities are capable of being bigoted and racists not only against majorities but against other minorities of course majorities can be racists as well its not ok either. We all need to realize we are all human, and all of Humanity started off in Africa and we are all the same species and getting into a course like human anthropology renders racism pointless.We are all the same deal with it outward appearance is from minor mutations used to adapt to new environments that is all.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 5:49 am

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2015, 3:24 pm

ruveyn wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
As a demonstration I did make a thread proving racism against Caucasians exists and proving it is not justified the whole notion of being born white instantly makes you racist is racist thus proving racism even against Caucasians exists.It was locked and for good reason every one can be racist regardless of ethnicity it happens everywhere, is it ok to belittle and hate other ethnic groups? Of Course not! Nobody chose what ethnicity they were born so why mistreat them for being different let alone blame them for the actions of the past they have nothing to do with?FFS this is 2015 why does racism still go on? Why does the hate continue?

If Aliens attack Earth, I am throwing in my lot with the human race, even if most of the human race is neuro typical. The NTs warts and all are my people.

ruveyn

That is, until the aliens smarten up and court one group to suppress another. Divide and conquer.

Rollo
Raven
Raven

08 Mar 2015, 3:15 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's really not okay to judge an individual based solely on stereotypes.

That's just your opinion. Employing stereotypes is a useful survival instinct. People don't have time to judge everyone they come into contact with by 'the content of their character'.

kraftiekortie wrote:
The whole concept of "race" is pretty erroneous as well.

A person's character is NOT determined by his/her skin color. It's determined by their upbringing, and their life experiences.

Equating race to "skin color" is childish propaganda. Try harder.

Orangez wrote:
Racism is ok and same with sexism if you have statistics to back up your claim.

I'm not sure which side of the fence you are on with this one, but this will no doubt offend some self-declared 'anti-racists'.
However, as far as I'm concerned, if I want to be racist by, say, preferring to live among my own race, then I don't need to justify that to anyone with statistics.

Zajie wrote:
I admit that I can be racist because I always think of people from my ethnicity better and would prefer them over others, but maybe racism is wrong because no one chooses their ancestors.

Well, nobody chooses to be born human either, but that doesn't make it wrong for humans to discriminate in favour of their own species.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 3:41 pm

Rollo wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
It's really not okay to judge an individual based solely on stereotypes.

That's just your opinion. Employing stereotypes is a useful survival instinct. People don't have time to judge everyone they come into contact with by 'the content of their character'.

kraftiekortie wrote:
The whole concept of "race" is pretty erroneous as well.

A person's character is NOT determined by his/her skin color. It's determined by their upbringing, and their life experiences.

Equating race to "skin color" is childish propaganda. Try harder.

Orangez wrote:
Racism is ok and same with sexism if you have statistics to back up your claim.

I'm not sure which side of the fence you are on with this one, but this will no doubt offend some self-declared 'anti-racists'.
However, as far as I'm concerned, if I want to be racist by, say, preferring to live among my own race, then I don't need to justify that to anyone with statistics.

Zajie wrote:
I admit that I can be racist because I always think of people from my ethnicity better and would prefer them over others, but maybe racism is wrong because no one chooses their ancestors.

Well, nobody chooses to be born human either, but that doesn't make it wrong for humans to discriminate in favour of their own species.

Species? All humans belong to the same homo sapien species. Do you mean race or ethnicity?

Rollo
Raven
Raven

08 Mar 2015, 3:55 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Rollo wrote:

Species? All humans belong to the same homo sapien species. Do you mean race or ethnicity?

No, I meant species. I thought it was pretty obvious what I was saying.
Zajie said, in effect, that perhaps discriminating in favour of your own race is wrong because nobody chooses what race they are born into.
So I said, in effect, that that was like saying it was wrong for humans to discriminate in favour of their fellow humans on the grounds that nobody chooses what species they are born into.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 4:03 pm

Maybe I shouldn't go on Wrong Planet any more since there are a lot of people here who think it is okay to hate anyone because of their race instead of seeing them as an individual. Bye. :(

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 4:14 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Maybe I shouldn't go on Wrong Planet any more since there are a lot of people here who think it is okay to hate anyone because of their race instead of seeing them as an individual. Bye. :(

Wait! Most of us on WP aren't racists. Please, we need all the voices of moderation that we an get!

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 7:54 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:

Everyone is racist in this regard because we have to make assumptions in life.

Most non-black people would never buy into a neighborhood if they found out it was becoming more black.
Why? Because they would make assumuptions that the city will likely turn out like the numerous black ghetto cities.

Anachron
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Mar 2015, 8:06 pm

If Aspies had purple skin, we probably wouldn't have to explain ourselves as frequently.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 8:38 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

Everyone is racist in this regard because we have to make assumptions in life.

Most non-black people would never buy into a neighborhood if they found out it was becoming more black.
Why? Because they would make assumuptions that the city will likely turn out like the numerous black ghetto cities.

And why do those cities become ghettos? Because preexisting businesses disappear with white flight, taking jobs with them.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 8:46 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I interpreted "I feel sorry" as you minimizing the racial discrimination that is used against Asians. Because within that post you say you believe diversity is better than being homogenous. So it seemed like you were telling Asians that it was tough luck, because the end result of diversity justifies the means of discrimination. I am corrected.

I find the topic interesting because 'Diversity' is generally implemented as racial discrimination against some "races" to help other "races". And the people who promote 'Diversity' will say they are fighting racism. ;)
First off, the vast majority of Asian-Americans support affirmation action (about 3/4 based on some of the figures I've come across) so if his views minimize discrimination against Asians then what does that say about yours? You are presenting a very one-sided view that fails to address the glass ceiling that discriminates against Asians in management/executive positions and the fact that Asians have to score about 140 points higher on the SAT to compete with whites in the top colleges/universities. Yes, the disparity for Asians is even higher when it comes to Black and Hispanic applicants, but to blame everything on diversity is oversimplifying things and it doesn't make them privileged over Asian applicants.

I don't know who made you the ambassador of Asian people but when you point a finger at someone else you have three pointed right back at you. Nothing is more minimizing than speaking for an entire population to serve your own agenda.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 9:02 pm

AceOfSpades wrote:
First off, the vast majority of Asian-Americans support affirmation action (about 3/4 based on some of the figures I've come across)

Quote:
Nothing is more minimizing than speaking for an entire population to serve your own agenda.

Irony. There is no way that anywhere near 3/4 of Asians have actually been asked their opinion about affirmative action, therefore you and whoever supplied that statistic are basically speaking for an entire population without justification.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 9:16 pm

Those figures are based on representative sampling, which is a hell of a lot more accurate than some rhetoric that uses Asians as a wedge group against policies such as affirmative action.