Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

What is your religious background?
I grew up in a religious household and continue to be religious. 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
I grew up in a religious household but switched to a different religious belief. 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
I grew up in a religious household but became non-religious. 23%  23%  [ 9 ]
I grew up in a non-religious household and continue to be non-religious. 50%  50%  [ 20 ]
I grew up in a non-religious household but became religious. 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 40

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 3:38 pm

I am Catholic and still am.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

08 Mar 2015, 4:18 pm

I was raised mostly non-religious, we were nominally WELS but my parents did not ever consistently go to church or force it on us. The Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod is ultraconservative and not something that ever appealed to me. I would describe myself as non-religious or agnostic now, I don't know the unknowable.

emax10000
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Mar 2015, 4:25 pm

I consider myself religious on a personal level but advocate the separation of religion and political power as much as most atheists do. I also feel that many religious institutions have perverted the essence of religious faith, particularly with the over emphasis on following God only to avoid Hell, literal interpretations of holy texts and the idea that God is a sort of magical ATM machine who gives us what we want as long as we pray hard enough.

With religion being taken in these directions, it is very easy to see why more Americans are becoming non religious and why there is a very real trend of Americans from religious households becoming non religious or out and out atheists or agnostics.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 4:29 pm

i was raised presbyterian, but due to lack of evidence for god, have become non-religious, though have attended a few unitarian services.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 5:09 pm

My parents were Catholic, but they were never really serious about it. My dad's been a longtime member of the Knights of Columbus however, but nowadays I think he identifies as a non-denominational Christian. Myself, I identified as Catholic until I was about 12 years old, when I decided to just be an atheist, as I never held much faith in Christianity in the first place. There was also a period of time when I was 9-10 years old where I wanted to convert to Buddhism, but at the time I didn't really understand what it was about, and I just thought it was a cool Eastern religion about a happy fat guy.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 7:40 pm

I was raised in a religious household, but am no longer religious.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 9:15 pm

None of the above options.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Mar 2015, 10:39 pm

My family is Catholic & I went to some Catholic schools but my family didn't practice religion much & I consider myself to be a Secular Humanist nowadays.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 11:58 pm

I don't think I fit into any of the listed categories.
My mother did drag us off to Sunday school and church (Methodist) on most sundays.
We did say grace before dinner.
My mother disapproved of me saying GD.
That's about as far as religion went. There was very little to no discussion The Lord in our household and we did not have a family bible nor were we baptized. When I was 10 I asked my mother if I could have a bible since I found it interesting to read. Her reply in so many words was a dismissive "Well that's just tough, you should have thought of that before Christmas" as if they were expensive or hard to find.
In a nutshell, we went through the motions to keep up appearances, I guess. The old bag still goes to church but I don't know why. Still trying to make appearances I guess....
As for me as an adult, I'm a believer and will continue to be but I'm not a churchgoer as of yet.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2015, 1:43 am

Hard to say, my dad is catholic and my mom was a methodist(don't think she is anymore)...so it was sort of a religious household I suppose...I had to go to church due to my mom I remember that and in learning more and more about the bible and the religion is actually what led me to question it as well as organized religion in general. My dad still identifies as catholic but he is pretty open minded about it and he takes plenty of issue with 'the church' and thinks there is a lot of corruption in religion but he still belives in God and Jesus in the religious sense. I guess I am kind of an open minded spiritualist...like I think there are spiritual forces and energies I have had some odd experiences that make it hard to doubt any kind of beings outside this realm so I am by no means an athiest or agnostic really...but I do not follow a religion.

untilwereturn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2015, 1:00 pm

I was raised Roman Catholic but had a profound conversion experience and went on to join a couple of different Pentecostal churches. Attended a Christian college affiliated with one of those denominations, where I majored in Bible & Theology. After college, I attended a few different evangelical churches for some years. Eventually I became disenchanted with fluff in mainstream evangelicalism and began to delve into classically Reformed Protestantism. Today I'm a member of a conservative (PCA) Presbyterian church. Aspects of my theology have also been informed by Reformed Baptist theology and, to a lesser extent, conservative Lutheranism.

Long before I was diagnosed as being on the spectrum, people would accuse me of "intellectualizing" my faith. I'm sure my ASD plays a role in making me very systematic in terms of my beliefs today. In reaction against some of the extremes I've witnessed in Pentecostal and evangelical churches over the years, I'm repelled by religious manipulation (music playing softly during "altar calls" and the like). I'm very much drawn by consistent exegesis of the Bible and internally self-consistent theology.