Can Homosexuality and the Christian Faith Exist Together?

Page 1 of 12 [ 186 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Campbell1324
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Mar 2015, 10:20 pm

This is more of a religious discussion topic that I had just thought about off the top of my head, and I will not be bias to anyone's beliefs whatsoever since I supposedly gay at one time.

I'm very new here, but my ideas are just as good as anyone's.

I'm not here to share personal experiences, but recently I have been straying away from homosexuality the more I've become a Christian. This raises the question in my head. Is God changing the hearts of LGBT people because Paul and formerly He as Himself indoctrinated it into our heads, in the bible no less? Is it just not acceptable for God, or can we coexist with God and our human nature while our faith grows?

Or... can even give up our lust for the same sex but still be gay? As far I can tell, they're all viable yeses.

I just want you guys to hang on this, and I'll check the discussion every once and awhile.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 11:14 pm

It depends on what your heart is telling you, and what you feel is right. Do you think being homosexual will stop you from spreading the love of Christ? Certainly God would be able to look past things such as homosexuality when you are as Christ like as anyone else other than your homosexuality. And if you feel in your heart you love another man that way, and the love is true, why should God care? There is a difference between being homosexual, and letting homosexuality truly interfere with your walk with Christ. If you know in your heart your way of expressing your homosexuality will not interrupt your walk with Christ, or anybody else in their walk with Christ, then your have nothing to fear.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2015, 4:16 am

It's clear in the NT that homosexuality is not ok.
Just another reason religion is out of touch.
And Christianity isn't alone there.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2015, 5:29 am

Whilst yes indeed, homosexuality is a Biblical sin, so is looking at a woman with desire so not only are homosexuals condemned, so are 99% of hetrosexual males.
In fact there is possibly nobody alive who is good enough to earn salvation from their own goodness.

But don't forget the purpose of the Mosiac Law was to show mankind, via the Abrahamic Jews, that it was impossible for man to earn his own salvation by his own good behaviour and was therefore a "tutor leading to the Christ" in that it demonstrated we need God,s mercy and gift of the sacrifice of his son to pay for our sins.

If everyone was good, Jesus death would be un-nessasary, so Jesus died to save the likes of homosexuals along with the rest of us, the condemnation evident in the New Testament is to ensure we all realise we need Christ and to stop us being self-righteous.

There is of course a further debate asking at what point Jesus mercy becomes void if it is used as an excuse to abandon ones self to sin?

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2015, 5:39 am

So Nambo, you support the belief that homosexuality is a sin?

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2015, 6:13 am

Narrator wrote:

You will have to show where my post indicates I support homosexuality being a sin rather than my reporting what the Bible states.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2015, 6:35 am

Nambo wrote:
Narrator wrote:

You will have to show where my post indicates I support homosexuality being a sin rather than my reporting what the Bible states.

That's why it was a question rather than a statement.
With volatile issues like this, it can sometimes be useful to pre-empt any wrong impressions.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2015, 9:25 am

Nambo wrote:
Narrator wrote:

actually, the bible doesn't state that, homosexuality isn't mentioned anywhere, either positive or negative. this is a widespread misconseption, spread and supported by the clergy to offer increased control; just like the institution or marriage (which is one man and as many partners (male or female) as he can and wants to support, according to the bible)

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2015, 9:29 am

izzeme wrote:
Nambo wrote:
Narrator wrote:

actually, the bible doesn't state that, homosexuality isn't mentioned anywhere, either positive or negative. this is a widespread misconseption, spread and supported by the clergy to offer increased control; just like the institution or marriage (which is one man and as many partners (male or female) as he can and wants to support, according to the bible)

*of

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2015, 9:30 am

What Nambo said.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2015, 9:32 am

Catholic teaching, in general, remains against homosexuality.

However, the present Pope has made conciliatory statements pertaining to homosexuality over the past year. The attitude is changing.

I don't believe there is disharmony between being gay and being a Christian.

The problem lies within individual Christians.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2015, 10:03 am

izzeme wrote:
Nambo wrote:
Narrator wrote:

The word homosexuality isn't used because they didn't have a word for it back then, but it is pretty clear what they are talking about. Anyway, most people don't even keep the rules anyway, not sure why they are even religious.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2015, 10:07 am

Homosexuality has existed throughout history, all over the world, under all religions. Religious people seem to have less of a problem with homosexuals existing than they do with the effort to "legitimize" homosexuality and place it on equal footing with heterosexuality, especially where marriage is concerned.

Campbell1324
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Mar 2015, 10:19 am

staremaster wrote:
Homosexuality has existed throughout history, all over the world, under all religions. Religious people seem to have less of a problem with homosexuals existing than they do with the effort to "legitimize" homosexuality and place it on equal footing with heterosexuality, especially where marriage is concerned.

You realize what your saying right? That God (Christ) as a whole didn't make us equal? Or are you saying his people thought he didn't make us equal? Obviously, the life he lived was enough to make it in the Kuran when Muhammad mentioned him.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2015, 10:41 am

^^I mean that christians etc. are often not hateful in their behavior to individual homosexuals, but they are still socially conservative to a point that inhibits the rights of homosexual people. They might accept a gay individual as an equal, but they will not accept homosexuals as a group as equal, and would prefer it if homosexuality were never acknowledged or spoken of, no matter how relatively common it might be.

Campbell1324
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Mar 2015, 10:47 am

Staremaster, read this! =)

Here's an idea. "I am the light of the world. He who follows me shall not be condemned but have everlasting life"

By the very definition of that, we are not condemned. But look at this

"He who condemns sin is already condemned. But he who condemns sin not is saved."

These are the words of Jesus. What I wanted was the first messager's way of speaking to be used by all of you people (not necessarily the exact way but in the meaning of the words), because it states this. Though I skimmed it, but I knew it was stating such a thing, yeah...

If you would please understand this message, it would make the meaning of the posts on this part of the PPR. This was meant to discuss the reasons why Homosexuality is such and area that could possibly be wiped from our souls since it is sin! ha. Trust me, both me and my family members have agreed and we basically have experienced it ourselves (but one is still in denial that God can take this away)