Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 11:48 pm

I am actually starting to really like how the CEV phrases things. Particularly in Jonah 4:

Quote:
Jonah was really upset and angry. So he prayed: Our LORD, I knew from the very beginning that you wouldn't destroy Nineveh. That's why I left my own country and headed for Spain. You are a kind and merciful God, and you are very patient. You always show love, and you don't like to punish anyone, not even foreigners. Now let me die! I'd be better off dead. The LORD replied, "What right do you have to be angry?" Jonah then left through the east gate of the city and made a shelter to protect himself from the sun. He sat under the shelter, waiting to see what would happen to Nineveh. The LORD made a vine grow up to shade Jonah's head and protect him from the sun. Jonah was very happy to have the vine, but early the next morning the LORD sent a worm to chew on the vine, and the vine dried up. During the day the LORD sent a scorching wind, and the sun beat down on Jonah's head, making him feel faint. Jonah was ready to die, and he shouted, "I wish I were dead!" But the LORD asked, "Jonah, do you have the right to be angry about the vine?" "Yes, I do," he answered, "and I'm angry enough to die." But the LORD said: You are concerned about a vine that you did not plant or take care of, a vine that grew up in one night and died the next. In that city of Nineveh there are more than a hundred twenty thousand people who cannot tell right from wrong, and many cattle are also there. Don't you think I should be concerned about that big city? Jonah 4:1-11 CEV

Also, I didn't realize he was going to Spain, or the Iberian peninsula at least. I wonder what life must have been like there back around then. That was about the 7th or 8th century BC I think, so Rome wasn't even much more than a pesty city-state at that point.
It is interesting how hedonistic Jonah is behaving, everything being about him. Not caring about the people who would die. Seriously, he has no right to be angry.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2015, 12:02 am

Was this before or after he was in the whale?

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2015, 3:01 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Was this before or after he was in the whale?

After the whale and after he'd preached to the people of Nineveh.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2015, 10:32 pm

It is ironic someone who spent some time in a whale would be so sensitive to his surroundings.

In that passage he is presented as being weak and petty. I have a hard time believing someone who lived inside a whale three days and nights would let something like sunlight and a vine bother him.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2015, 11:17 pm

Yeah. I thought the whale thing was punishment to teach him some moral lesson. But you're saying that he was needing schooling AFTER the whale. That doesnt make sense.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 12:54 am

It is noted here there's a lot of irony in this particular book:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Jonah

and yes it does drip with it.

Jonah means "dove" which is considered a flimsy name for a prophet with a mission from God.

And another thing that's sorta strange about this story is God thinks the Ninevites are sorta backward and not too bright so he sends a prophet with the name of Dove to convince them to straighten up and he doesn't even want to go do it. Sounds like an inside joke of some kind since doves can quickly fly away only, since they didn't have air planes at the time, all Jonah can do is sail away on a ship.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 3:39 am

The story may have involved a large fish rather than a whale, due to translation.

Anyway mere folklore.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 9:56 am

He wasn't necessarily "going to Spain" like your new fangled streamlined translation of the Bible says.

It was to a place called "Tarshish".

When you click THAT word in your Wiki article on Jonah the subsequent article explains how the place name "Tarshish" crops up several times in the Bible (might refer to the same place each time, or not). Its seems to have been SOME faraway place on the Mediterranean that traded with the Phonecian neighbors of the Israelites. Could be Spain, or Sardinia, or Carthage (in Tunisia), and even Tuscany (land of the Etruscans) in Italy. Folks have found evidence for it each of the above.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 12:02 pm

I don't believe he was swallowed by a big fish but he could have been stranded in the water a few days. Either way, it would have been uncomfortable.

I am thinking he wanted to go to Carthage because that was a busy place and sounds like a one he would go.