Employers should be liable for sending employees to Dubai

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2015, 7:36 pm

I've been looking at multiple cases of raped Western women in Dubai where instead they are prosecuted for things like "sex outside marriage" and often imprisoned for longer terms than their rapists (if their rapists are prosecuted at all). This is often because she couldn't get the perp to confess and that there were not 4 Muslim males who witnessed it. (Apparently testimony from non-males and non-Muslims doesn't count.) In my opinion, if a situation turns out like this and a Western employer sent her there, then that Western employer should be held liable for the outcome.

The same should be true if the employer sends LGBT employers.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2015, 9:47 am

I've also heard horror stories of people who went to Dubai or one of the other Gulf states. In one they got a business conflict with one of the locals and suddenly the police show up to arrest him for "indecent behavior" (whatever that means). That's almost Kafka-esque in that they use a rubbish charge to stop you from leaving the country.
I think there's a pretty easy answer: DON'T GO TO THESE PLACES.