What do you think about downsizing bureaucracy?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2015, 2:26 pm

In Poland, me country we have upcoming presidential election on of candidate Mr Korwin-Mike promise to lower and simpler tax, and fire at lest 80% of Polish government employee, we have almost 500 thousand civil servant. Mr Mikke says that most of them are hired only thanks to nepotism and family connections

I heard that when journalist said that firing such large number of people would spur unemployment decrees standard of living of many families and create burden for budget anyway. But Korwin said that the he did not care about that, and he would love to see them begging on street, that he care about businessman and ordinary people, not heads of tax offices and CEO of goverment institution who not doing anything useful.

alex
Developer
Developer

30 Apr 2015, 2:29 pm

I don't know about Poland, but if you fired 80% of the government here in the US, there'd be serious problems.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2015, 2:47 pm

In the United States, bureaucracies should be limited to those agencies that assist constituents. Those that assist a branch of government only tend to be more corrupt and devious. So, if the president wants to spy on citizens, for example, let the White House try to do so by admitting publicly that it will do so, and not rely on the NSA and CIA, among many others, to do it in behalf of the president. Such agencies have nothing beneficial to provide to their ultimate employers (taxpaying citizens) in their actions. So, why not save the cash and require the legislative, executive and judicial branches of government to find open, honest and constitutional ways to accomplish their desires without skulking around quasi-governmental bureaucracies, all of which are essentially camp followers?

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

RichardJ
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 10:03 pm

Of course downsizing bureaucracy is a good idea, here in the US we have a National Popcorn Board to promote the use of everyone's favorite snack food. That is just the tip of the iceberg, not to mention the fact that with all the tax money saved would would spur so much economic growth that any unemployment would subside very quickly. Also it would deregulate some of the economy which would help business grow and create jobs. Look how Ronald Reagan solved the Stagflation problem of the 70s in a matter of a few years. Also take a look at how President Warren G. Harding solved Woodrow Wilson's economic problems in the early 1920s. History shows that deregulation and cutting taxes works.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2015, 8:34 am

RichardJ wrote:
Of course downsizing bureaucracy is a good idea, here in the US we have a National Popcorn Board to promote the use of everyone's favorite snack food. That is just the tip of the iceberg, not to mention the fact that with all the tax money saved would would spur so much economic growth that any unemployment would subside very quickly. Also it would deregulate some of the economy which would help business grow and create jobs. Look how Ronald Reagan solved the Stagflation problem of the 70s in a matter of a few years. Also take a look at how President Warren G. Harding solved Woodrow Wilson's economic problems in the early 1920s. History shows that deregulation and cutting taxes works.

And, "President John F. Kennedy brought up the issue of tax reduction in his 1963 State of the Union address. His initial plan called for a $13.5 billion tax cut through a reduction of the top income tax rate from 91% to 65%, reduction of the bottom rate from 20% to 14%, and a reduction in the corporate tax rate from 52% to 47%. The first attempt at passing the tax cuts was rejected by Congress in 1963. Kennedy was assassinated in November 1963, and was succeeded by Lyndon Johnson. Johnson was able to achieve Kennedy's goal of a tax cut in exchange for promising a budget not to exceed $100 billion in 1965. The Revenue Act of 1964 emerged from Congress and was signed by Johnson on February 26, 1964. The stated goal of the tax cuts were to raise personal incomes, increase consumption, and increase capital investments. Evidence shows that these goals were met to some degree by the tax cut. Unemployment fell from 5.2% in 1964 to 4.5% in 1965, and fell to 3.8% in 1966. Initial estimates predicted a loss of revenue as a result of the tax cuts, however, tax revenue increased in 1964 and 1965" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revenue_Act_of_1964 ).

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2015, 10:21 am

In fact, most of professional bureaucrats do the job that require very small amount of really special skills, and with all of such job average adult can easily deal after very short training courses. Furthermore, in most of countries there is a practice whet bureaucrats are often moved from one office to another, say from agriculture sector to education or national defense - so if an average government clerk can work with same effectiveness in such a various fields, why any educated adult can't?

That is why I believe that modern countries may take as example City-states of Classical Greece and make almost every public office either electable or, for minor positions, chosen by lot - like now are jurors appointed. Terms may vary, but I think they should be no more than one year for main offices and 6 months for others. It must be the duty of society to maintain its need in organizing, duty of every citizen and not of some caste of bureaucrats.

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2015, 6:17 pm

Sounds horrible. It smacks of pandering to business interests. I'm sure certain people would make money right away. But a lot of people would lose their jobs for no reason, and the economy would slow. Unless the size of the bureaucracy was insignificant as a share of the economy... but what would the point be unless it had grown unwieldy?

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2015, 7:10 pm

Can Poland even afford to lower it's taxes?
I mean if they do, do tax cuts they should do a steep cut for the rich and end deductions/ write offs for the middle and lower classes (if not raising them).

Tax cuts only work if targeted at the rich and business, because it will encourage them to invest in Poland thus generating economic growth, thus raising taxable income and employment.

If they do tax cuts for everyone, the rich and businesses will horde the money and/or move it overseas and the economy will tank.

I mean didn't the world learn anything from Reagan, Thatcher, and Merkel led policies?

When was the last time the middle and lower classes actually contributed to economic growth?

Last I heard that Poland was struggling to keep up with it's debt payments and might be forced to seek EU bailout.

Poland is currently facing higher unemployment than it's neighbors and hasn't entered a strong economic recovery to warrant government restructuring.

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2015, 7:20 pm

xenocity wrote:
I mean if they do, do tax cuts they should do a steep cut for the rich and end deductions/ write offs for the middle and lower classes (if not raising them).

Tax cuts only work if targeted at the rich and business, because it will encourage them to invest in Poland thus generating economic growth, thus raising taxable income and employment.

If they do tax cuts for everyone, the rich and businesses will horde the money and/or move it overseas and the economy will tank.

I mean didn't the world learn anything from Reagan, Thatcher, and Merkel led policies?

When was the last time the middle and lower classes actually contributed to economic growth?

Last I heard that Poland was struggling to keep up with it's debt payments and might be forced to seek EU bailout.

Poland is currently facing higher unemployment than it's neighbors and hasn't entered a strong economic recovery to warrant government restructuring.

This is 94.2% wrong. The working class is the productive class. There is no growth without it.

Reagan? Thatcher? If you have anything good to say about either of them, I don't want to hear it.

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2015, 7:33 pm

dionysian wrote:
xenocity wrote:

This is 94.2% wrong. The working class is the productive class. There is no growth without it.

Reagan? Thatcher? If you have anything good to say about either of them, I don't want to hear it.

I must have forgot the /s tag.