Page 5 of 33 [ 517 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 33  Next

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2015, 11:08 pm

Oldavid wrote:
Sharp as ever, Lintar. Welcome back.

Why, thank you kindly :)

These debates about God are, if nothing else, both illuminating and entertaining, even though we often cover ground that has been covered countless times before.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2015, 11:17 pm

Oldavid wrote:
pcuser wrote:
We atheists don't claim anything except that the burden of proof is on you as you are making extraordinary claims. We don't need to pretend that if it was real, it would do it my way. There is no my or your way for physics to exist and manifest itself...
So far, I've not made any real positive claims... I've been preoccupied with showing that your claims (assumptions) are physically impossible and logically absurd. The way that physics exists and manifests itself (to an honest, intelligent observer) is in the laws of nature... which steadfastly refuse to conform themselves to your extraordinary claims.

Your assumption that everything created itself for no reason is absurd. A thing that does not exist cannot cause itself to exist. That includes any kind of order... even the order that manifests itself as matter and energy.

Yes, I've often wondered how anyone can seriously take the proposition that something could create itself. In order for it to do so it would have to pre-exist itself in time, but you encounter a double problem when you try to ascribe this capacity to the universe itself, because not only is such a thing impossible from the purely naturalistic perspective of what it means for something to be the effect of a cause, but we are incessantly told by modern-day cosmologists that time itself did not exist "prior" (if that term even has any meaning absent the existence of time) the universe.

It just doesn't make any sense, on any level.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2015, 11:20 pm

aghogday wrote:
^^^

Intelligent reply.

Facebook Like 1

Thank you :salut:

I don't know why my other post above appeared twice. Very strange :huh:

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2015, 11:30 pm

pcuser wrote:
Breaking Enigma wrote:
I often see and hear people say they disbelieve in God because of all of the evil in the world. But God, by allowing free will and evil, is a genius, naturally.

Think about it. How often do people cry out to God when life is going perfectly? How often do people thank God for the joys of this life? It's not when life is perfect that people seek and find God; it's when life is hard. When life is hard, when their is tragedy, sadness, and despair, that's when people find God and are uplifted in faith. If we lived in a utopia on earth, people would be content with this life, this world, and not look to the enternal life in Christ Jesus to come. God would be phased out, for he wouldn't be needed.

Few are invoking God when they say that. Religion has been around so long, parts of it have become common language. So, saying God during times of frustration is simply a figure of speech, not an affirmation of a God's existence. Religion is a fairy tale created by bronze age herders in a superstitious time...

No, I really do not think so. When people are in distress and they cry out to God, they really mean it. Why wouldn't they? Besides, when asked afterwards (ex. in documentaries I've seen about, for example, air crash investigations) they never deny they really did appeal to God for help. It isn't just "frustration", or "a figure of speech", although you can tell yourself this if it makes you feel better about your atheism :lmao:

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2015, 11:38 pm

pcuser wrote:
Virtual particles pop in and out of existence all the time just for the hell of it...

No, they don't actually. See: http://profmattstrassler.com/articles-a ... -are-they/

Besides, when you say they do so 'for the hell of it', you are ascribing both agency and free will to an otherwise purposeless and blind process according to the naturalistic paradigm.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 12:17 am

atheism is a religion like not playing tennis is a sport.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 1:22 am

Lintar wrote:
Well, actually you do. I know that it is often claimed by self-styled atheists that since they don't believe in God they have nothing to demonstrate, no evidence or justification required for what they term an absence of belief

I'm sure it's not the first time you hear is, but it bears repeating: That which can be asserted without evidence can be dimissed without evidence.

Quote:
A pure absence of belief isn't atheism - it's agnosticism.

No it isn't. Atheism answers the question "do you believe X?", and Agnosticism answers the question "do you know X?"

Also, there are two definitions of Agnosticism: one states that a thing isn't known, the other that the thing cannot be known. Neither of those pertain to belief.

Quote:
What, exactly, is an extraordinary claim anyway? By whose standard can one categorise something as being 'extraordinary'? What may be extraordinary to me may not be to you.
[/quote]

True, but a question of degrees. "I met your friend Steve at the store yesterday" I might say, and you reply "That's absurd, Steve hates stores!". There are a few steps I could take to demonstrate that Steve was indeed at the store, and that I met him there, so an extraordinary claim of this particular magnitude being true organically brings with it evidence that is equally extraordinary. Now apply the same to "I met your friend Steve yesterday" -> "That's absurd, he was publicly executed three days ago.".

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 2:36 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
I'm sure it's not the first time you hear is, but it bears repeating: That which can be asserted without evidence can be dimissed without evidence.
Yair, well, there's plenty of evidence to dismiss the claims of the Materialist/Atheist lobby but I guess what you're saying in a roundabout way is that evidence doesn't count.
Quote:
No it isn't. Atheism answers the question "do you believe X?", and Agnosticism answers the question "do you know X?"

Also, there are two definitions of Agnosticism: one states that a thing isn't known, the other that the thing cannot be known. Neither of those pertain to belief.
Yes. The hard definition of Agnosticism is that one can't know anything but what you can touch, taste, smell, hear, see. Even then it is claimed that all such senses are completely relative and subjective. It boils down to an absurd proposition: The only thing you can know is that you can't know anything.

Atheism declares that it can/does know that no supreme being exists, summarily dismissing any evidence to the contrary. As such it falls squarely inside the faith, belief system, superstition, religion courtyard.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 4:05 am

Lintar wrote:
Oldavid wrote:
pcuser wrote:
We atheists don't claim anything except that the burden of proof is on you as you are making extraordinary claims. We don't need to pretend that if it was real, it would do it my way. There is no my or your way for physics to exist and manifest itself...
So far, I've not made any real positive claims... I've been preoccupied with showing that your claims (assumptions) are physically impossible and logically absurd. The way that physics exists and manifests itself (to an honest, intelligent observer) is in the laws of nature... which steadfastly refuse to conform themselves to your extraordinary claims.

Your assumption that everything created itself for no reason is absurd. A thing that does not exist cannot cause itself to exist. That includes any kind of order... even the order that manifests itself as matter and energy.

Yes, I've often wondered how anyone can seriously take the proposition that something could create itself. In order for it to do so it would have to pre-exist itself in time, but you encounter a double problem when you try to ascribe this capacity to the universe itself, because not only is such a thing impossible from the purely naturalistic perspective of what it means for something to be the effect of a cause, but we are incessantly told by modern-day cosmologists that time itself did not exist "prior" (if that term even has any meaning absent the existence of time) the universe.

It just doesn't make any sense, on any level.

"It just doesn't make sense....." This is because you are not looking at the problem correctly. Take the origin of life for example, no one that I know of (except those who are intransigent in their belief that God created life) would ever suggest that life just happened, that life forms spontaneously erupted complete and functional. Lintar, I suggest you take a look at the latest advances in Origin of Life science, it is truly fascinating. Nearly all the required steps have been shown to be chemically and minerally possible, admittedly there is not as yet, one hypotheses that has all the components, but surely by this stage in our development of knowledge, people realise that not fully understanding something, does not equate to God did it. The basic ingredients are all there, lipids forming Amphiphile cell like structures, peptides and other molecules have been grown, RNA strands have been put together, plausible scenarios have been formulated and in some cases proven possible via experiment which show how delicate molecules can be formed and survive the primordial conditions. Precursors to RNA have been shown to be plausible and experiments are under way to see if this can be observed. The question of life is both a top down and bottom up problem. From what I have read it will likely be that metabolism comes first followed by simple forms of genetics leading first to RNAand then DNA. Rather than a spontaneous event, life most likely evolved through a number of steps from organic chemistry gradually becoming Biology. It really is looking more and more likely that the requirement for God in origins of life study is redundant.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 5:37 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
"It just doesn't make sense....." This is because you are not looking at the problem correctly. Take the origin of life for example, no one that I know of (except those who are intransigent in their belief that God created life) would ever suggest that life just happened, that life forms spontaneously erupted complete and functional. Lintar, I suggest you take a look at the latest advances in Origin of Life science, it is truly fascinating. Nearly all the required steps have been shown to be chemically and minerally possible, admittedly there is not as yet, one hypotheses that has all the components, but surely by this stage in our development of knowledge, people realise that not fully understanding something, does not equate to God did it. The basic ingredients are all there, lipids forming Amphiphile cell like structures, peptides and other molecules have been grown, RNA strands have been put together, plausible scenarios have been formulated and in some cases proven possible via experiment which show how delicate molecules can be formed and survive the primordial conditions. Precursors to RNA have been shown to be plausible and experiments are under way to see if this can be observed. The question of life is both a top down and bottom up problem. From what I have read it will likely be that metabolism comes first followed by simple forms of genetics leading first to RNAand then DNA. Rather than a spontaneous event, life most likely evolved through a number of steps from organic chemistry gradually becoming Biology. It really is looking more and more likely that the requirement for God in origins of life study is redundant.
Spare yourself and us, Arty. We already know that the "correct" way to look at the "problem" is via the assumptions of religious Materialism. However, some of us are constrained by observations of reality. That many organic molecules can be synthesised with cleverly contrived apparatus and input of energy does not indicate that any such processes can, or do, spontaneously occur outside of cleverly contrived apparatus and reaction conditions.

Fanciful speculations do not alter the natural laws.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 6:26 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
The basic ingredients are all there

And WHERE did THEY originate?
You know, them basic ingredients...
Not a god believer me, just wondering like...

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 7:02 am

guzzle wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis

Quote:
The elements, except for hydrogen, ultimately derive from stellar nucleosynthesis. Complex molecules, including organic molecules, form naturally both in space and on planets.[13] There are two possible sources of organic molecules on the early Earth:

Terrestrial origins – organic synthesis driven by impact shocks or by other energy sources (such as ultraviolet light, redox coupling, or electrical discharges) (e.g. Miller's experiments)
Extraterrestrial origins – formation of organic molecules in interstellar dust clouds and rained down on planets.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 7:50 am

Janissy wrote:
guzzle wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:

Quote:
The elements, except for hydrogen, ultimately derive from stellar nucleosynthesis. Complex molecules, including organic molecules, form naturally both in space and on planets.[13] There are two possible sources of organic molecules on the early Earth:

Terrestrial origins – organic synthesis driven by impact shocks or by other energy sources (such as ultraviolet light, redox coupling, or electrical discharges) (e.g. Miller's experiments)
Extraterrestrial origins – formation of organic molecules in interstellar dust clouds and rained down on planets.

Abiogenesis got nothing to do with it. I'm not interested in the origins of life. And these days I only have a passing interest in the origins of the universe. This NEED TO KNOW has passed me by. Suppose I'm not that much of an OCD'er after all. Unlike so many...

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 9:19 am

I apologize if my earlier post was slightly rushed; I realized halfway through that I was late for work.

Oldavid wrote:
Yair, well, there's plenty of evidence to dismiss the claims of the Materialist/Atheist lobby but I guess what you're saying in a roundabout way is that evidence doesn't count.

Very cute. Tell me, why do you not have to justify your rejection of the myriad of gods humankind have conjured up though the ages, but I have to justify my rejection of your particular ones claims, or accept him by default? If holy texts have any claim to be revealed truths, then there are much more impressive ones out there.

But just out of curiosity, what would this plethora of evidence be?

Oldavid wrote:
Atheism declares that it can/does know that no supreme being exists, summarily dismissing any evidence to the contrary. As such it falls squarely inside the faith, belief system, superstition, religion courtyard.

I'm glad I get to be told what my position is by someone in the opposite camp. Thank you. As for this quote; even if that were true, you realize, of course, that you're asking me to prove a negative? "Evidence to the contrary of "no supreme being exists""? Are you familiar with the term "null hypothesis"? It's what yours is not.

Quote:
What may be extraordinary to me may not be to you. It's purely relative and, therefore, utterly useless as a guide to determining what is actually true.

Not entirely. The point I was trying to make before was that an extraordinary event (we both know what I mean by that, don't be obtuse) that actually happened would indeed leave extraordinary evidence behind. A volcano eruption may be more common in some places than in others, but I don't think there's anywhere it would be considered an everyday occurence. Also, they tend to be hard to miss, and leave evidence of their happening behind. Snowfall can happen in the middle of summer. Not ordinary, and leaves evidence. Small animals falling from the sky? Extraordinary, leaves evidence, can be explained.

Oldavid wrote:
That many organic molecules can be synthesised with cleverly contrived apparatus and input of energy does not indicate that any such processes can, or do, spontaneously occur outside of cleverly contrived apparatus and reaction conditions.

I'm sure that said cleverly contrived apparatus being cleverly contrived to contrive the conditions of ancient earth, under which said processes are "fancifully speculated" to have taken place, is entirely irrelevant?

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 9:33 am

guzzle wrote:
Janissy wrote:
guzzle wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:

Quote:

Abiogenesis got nothing to do with it. I'm not interested in the origins of life. And these days I only have a passing interest in the origins of the universe. This NEED TO KNOW has passed me by. Suppose I'm not that much of an OCD'er after all. Unlike so many...

Yes, I for one, understand what 'you' mean.

'Where did the ingredients for

life actually originate'.

It depends on who one asks.

Some years, Stephen Hawking credits

GOD and some years he credits nothing.

Einstein, back in 'the day'
credits EVERYTHING,
like Spinoza does too..:)

For now, some scientists suggest the answer is nothing.

For me that's like raising one's arms up in the air and just
giving up; or the height of material reductionism to the point of

NOTHING.

or

LOONY.

or

NOTHING=LOONY.

Who knows what the next theory will be:

The best answer according to science IS:

The answer
varies in distance
and space in the
'wheel chairs'
of
so-called
scientific
BRILLIANCE.

I FOR one am
not impressed
with NOTHING.

THAT'S; OMG, LOONY!

Dinosaurs would giggle
if they are alive and can
Giggle; that's loony; but
at least its worth a LAUGH..;)

SCIENCE can be LOONY; AS
the scientific method alone
is just a tool, with NO BRAIN.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 10:10 am

aghogday wrote:

wiki wrote:

Yes, I for one, understand what 'you' mean.

'Where did the ingredients for

life actually originate'.

You and Guzzle both quoted the answer I gave (from a wiki). What exactly is wrong with that answer?