Page 1 of 6 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,231
Location: Oz

08 Jun 2015, 6:27 am

"
Emotionalism can also denote an inclination to rely on or place too much value on emotion when dealing with issues or confrontations, as opposed to resorting to reason when dealing with reality.

A figure often associated with emotionalism is Adolf Hitler, for he often used emotionalism to entice his followers. He would appeal to his audience's emotions while speaking, which led to massive encouragement from the Germans in whatever he wanted to do."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotionalism

Emotionalist philosophies (i.e. religions) focus more on emotional needs rather than intellectual needs...
As a typical autistic, I value reason over satisfying emotional concerns which inspired my motto: "I'd rather live a harsh truth than a comfortable lie..."

Recently I have come across a study which indicates that most people (neurotypicals) make decisions based on emotion rather than reason, which is in keeping with what I perceive to be NT mindset bias.

I would be interested in knowing how many accept what I have written as self evident, something to consider or incompatible with their own person beliefs.


_________________
I'm a thinker. Some think I'm a stinker. Pepe le Pew. ;)
Down with big business!...
I'm not here to change the world...There isn't a big enough soiled nappy bin... ;)
Autistic/scout motto: "Give me a better argument and I will listen..."
"Honesty is not a social duty, not a sacrifice for the sake of others, but the most profoundly selfish virtue man can practice: his refusal to sacrifice the reality of his own existence to the deluded consciousness of others."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8) I'm a rationalist...Deal with it...:mrgreen:


Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jun 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,087

08 Jun 2015, 6:57 am

Incompatible. Anyone can be emotional, even many of us who are alexithymic, though we may experience fewer different types of emotion. Also, I find Aspies and Neurotypical's alike turn to emotional appeals to get what they want and may use emotional appeals to manipulate. Not everyone, but many people in either group.



guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Sep 2013
Age: 54
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,298
Location: Close To The Border

08 Jun 2015, 7:49 am

Quote:
Emotionalism, in its meaning as a research paradigm, refers to an approach to conducting research studies that provides a gateway to understanding people's experiences through the use of social inquiry methodologies such as ethnography.[1]

Emotionalism can also denote an inclination to rely on or place too much value on emotion when dealing with issues or confrontations, as opposed to resorting to reason when dealing with reality.

A figure often associated with emotionalism is Adolf Hitler, for he often used emotionalism to entice his followers. He would appeal to his audience's emotions while speaking, which led to massive encouragement from the Germans in whatever he wanted to do.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotionalism

Recently I came across a news article reporting on research looking at the physical nature of hate..
Quote:
A study using a brain scanner to investigate the neural circuits that become active when people look at a photograph of someone they say they hate has found that the "hate circuit" shares something in common with the love circuit.

The findings could explain why both hate and romantic love can result in similar acts of extreme behaviour – both heroic and evil – said Professor Semir Zeki of University College London, who led the study published in the on-line journal PloS ONE.

"Hate is often considered to be an evil passion that should, in a better world, be tamed, controlled and eradicated. Yet to the biologist, hate is a passion that is of equal interest to love," Professor Zeki said.

"Like love, it is often seemingly irrational and can lead individual to heroic and evil deeds. How can two opposite sentiments lead to the same behaviour?"

The study advertised for volunteers to take part in the study and 17 people were chosen who professed a deep hatred for one individual. Most chose an ex-lover or a competitor at work, although one woman expressed an intense hatred for a famous political figure.

Professor Zeki and John Romaya of the Wellcome Laboratory of Neurobiology analysed the activity of the neural circuits in the brain that lit up when the volunteers were viewing photos of the hated person.

They found that the hate circuit includes parts of the brain called the putamen and the insula, found in the sub-cortex of the organ. The putamen is already known to be involved in the perception of contempt and disgust and may also be part of the motor system involved in movement and action.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 76901.html

Interestingly Wikipedia conveniently doesn't mention the full details as the article does. I wonder why :evil:
Quote:
Recent, tentative studies have suggested that the putamen may play a role in the so-called "hate circuit" of the brain. A recent study was done in London by the department of cell and developmental biology at University College London. An fMRI was done on patients while they viewed a picture of people they hated and people who were "neutral". During the experiment, a "hate score" was recorded for each picture. The activity in sub-cortical areas of the brain implied that the "hate circuit" involves the putamen and the insula. It has been theorized that the "putamen plays a role in the perception of contempt and disgust, and may be part of the motor system that's mobilized to take action." It was also found that the amount of activity in the hate circuit correlates with the amount of hate a person declares, which could have legal implications concerning malicious crimes.[14] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Putamen#Ro ... circuit.22



Incompatible. I posted the whole Wiki page with the paragraphs in the right order just for the record :mrgreen:
'Emotionalism' to me it's a research paradigm. Different cultures makes for different values. Different socio economic groups will place different values on emotions. Only by exploring and trying to make sense of one's emotions can one hope to understand oneself.

As both studies refer to University College of London I would imagine it is the same study both Wiki and the newspaper are referring to. But the Wiki contributor has chosen to only include part of the finding just like you choose to omit part of the entry of emotionalism. To me that could show an underlying tendency to avoid harsh truths actually...
As for reason... I'm not logical in the Aristotlean sense. I don't believe the rules of logic can be applied to language as language itself is subjective and driven by emotion to start with.



Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,231
Location: Oz

08 Jun 2015, 7:57 am

Waterfalls wrote:
Incompatible. Anyone can be emotional, even many of us who are alexithymic, though we may experience fewer different types of emotion. Also, I find Aspies and Neurotypical's alike turn to emotional appeals to get what they want and may use emotional appeals to manipulate. Not everyone, but many people in either group.


Yes, anyone can be emotional when making a decision...
However, I am referring to the ultimate decision making process.
N.B. Ironically, I can often be highly emotional due to my lower emotional frustration threshold and sensitivity to caffeinated products...but that doesn't alter the logic behind my thinking...

What I am referring to is a person's inherent tendency/leaning towards wanting to reason (more easily done in a non-confrontational/non-intimidatory situation such as on an autistic online forum).
In essence, some find intellectual fidelity ultimately more satisfying than emotional gratification/soothing. This fidelity towards truth/reality is quite common for those on the autistic spectrum and based on my research over decades, universally accepted as an autistic trait.

"There is a debate as to whether autism is a condition, or simply another way of thinking. Whichever way people choose to view it, what nearly everybody agrees on is that people with autism tend to think very logically. This isn’t the case all of the time, but it is for the majority."
http://www.autismdailynewscast.com/posi ... paddy-joe/


_________________
I'm a thinker. Some think I'm a stinker. Pepe le Pew. ;)
Down with big business!...
I'm not here to change the world...There isn't a big enough soiled nappy bin... ;)
Autistic/scout motto: "Give me a better argument and I will listen..."
"Honesty is not a social duty, not a sacrifice for the sake of others, but the most profoundly selfish virtue man can practice: his refusal to sacrifice the reality of his own existence to the deluded consciousness of others."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8) I'm a rationalist...Deal with it...:mrgreen:


Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,231
Location: Oz

08 Jun 2015, 8:51 am

guzzle wrote:

As both studies refer to University College of London I would imagine it is the same study both Wiki and the newspaper are referring to. But the Wiki contributor has chosen to only include part of the finding just like you choose to omit part of the entry of emotionalism. To me that could show an underlying tendency to avoid harsh truths actually...
As for reason... I'm not logical in the Aristotlean sense. I don't believe the rules of logic can be applied to language as language itself is subjective and driven by emotion to start with.


Based on what you posted, you seem to be building a "straw man" to try and discredit me...
In essence you are saying a Wiki contribution is being dishonest and I am using the same sort of dishonesty.
Is this right?

Why did I omit the first part of the article?
Rather simple...
It was part of the wiki definition that was not relevant to my discussion.

Was I trying to be dishonest?
Hardly...
If I was, why on earth did I add the link for people to read?
To the contrary, I was being respectful by providing a link.
I hardly expected troll like behaviour because I hit an emotional nerve in you...
Rather ironic, wouldn't you say?...lol

Yes we are on the opposite side of the fence in regards to our philosophical leanings...
But the difference between us seems to be that I will use a rational approach in regards to this discussion whereas you have set out to paint me as inherently dishonest...
Attempting character assassination shows the measure of the person I am dealing with.
I expect better here.

Unless you can correct any misunderstanding as to your intentions, I will simply put you down as a troll, consider reporting you to the admins, and ignore any further input on your part.
Simples... ;)


_________________
I'm a thinker. Some think I'm a stinker. Pepe le Pew. ;)
Down with big business!...
I'm not here to change the world...There isn't a big enough soiled nappy bin... ;)
Autistic/scout motto: "Give me a better argument and I will listen..."
"Honesty is not a social duty, not a sacrifice for the sake of others, but the most profoundly selfish virtue man can practice: his refusal to sacrifice the reality of his own existence to the deluded consciousness of others."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8) I'm a rationalist...Deal with it...:mrgreen:


Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Apr 2014
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,545
Location: USA

08 Jun 2015, 9:05 am

OP, unlike the first two posters, damn lies and statistics, I agree with you. I logically think through every decision I make, looking for the appropriate one. It seems like most NT's just go by "gut", which is a merely a meme for using emotion. Also of interest to you would be researching "mob mentality" and how everyday normal people get sucked into group emotions and end up doing atrocious acts. People need logic to function but crave emotion like an addiction so they'll forgo logic in favor of emotion almost every single time unless completely necessary. People get a rush of endorphins (feel good chemicals) from successful social interaction, social interaction is only successful in humans when there's a strong emotional component, therefore there's a correlation between emotional thinking and feeling good.



Bondkatten
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Mar 2015
Posts: 1,291

08 Jun 2015, 9:24 am

I think that logic can also lead to terrible decisions. I think we need both. I mean if you only use cold logic then what need is there for handicapped people? For sick people? That is where emotion comes in and saves us from being soulless assholes. We need and should use both. I am an emotional person but that does not mean that I let other people’s emotions rule over mine or that I’m incapable of logic.
I think that the key is to not succumb to one or the other alone. Be aware of manipulation (emotional) and don't let logic alone tell you what is right, I think that will lead you far from other people.
But I can think that overemotional people in combination with stupidity is a dangerous combination.



Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Apr 2014
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,545
Location: USA

08 Jun 2015, 10:09 am

Bondkatten wrote:
I think that logic can also lead to terrible decisions. I think we need both. I mean if you only use cold logic then what need is there for handicapped people? For sick people?


I disagree, those are ethical concerns not emotional concerns.

Logically they're all variations of the human condition, the human condition should be respected because well, we're all human. Parsing out different reactions for people based on subcategories of the whole (human condition) is unsound because at any given point an individual's human condition may change to reflect one of those subcategories. The counter argument for this is usually: "I'm not disabled." This is an emotional response: said person views the subcategory as not "contributing" and them being a "contributor" do not want to be subsidizing a "non-contributor". People that think emotionally tend to think in the moment with very little weight towards future outcomes. Just because one isn't sick or disabled at the moment doesn't mean that some future event won't render them such, under that framework it's best to be accepting of the sub-categories lest one actively demonize said subcategory and be a part of it later.

Short version: It's fine to piss and s**t in the river until you find yourself living downstream.

edit: grammar



ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 13,399

08 Jun 2015, 10:14 am

Pepe wrote:
"
Emotionalism can also denote an inclination to rely on or place too much value on emotion when dealing with issues or confrontations, as opposed to resorting to reason when dealing with reality.

A figure often associated with emotionalism is Adolf Hitler, for he often used emotionalism to entice his followers. He would appeal to his audience's emotions while speaking, which led to massive encouragement from the Germans in whatever he wanted to do."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotionalism

Emotionalist philosophies (i.e. religions) focus more on emotional needs rather than intellectual needs...
As a typical autistic, I value reason over satisfying emotional concerns which inspired my motto: "I'd rather live a harsh truth than a comfortable lie..."

Recently I have come across a study which indicates that most people (neurotypicals) make decisions based on emotion rather than reason, which is in keeping with what I perceive to be NT mindset bias.

I would be interested in knowing how many accept what I have written as self evident, something to consider or incompatible with their own person beliefs.


So you are trying to say an Autistic doesn't partake in emotionalism? Ha. Ha. Ha.

We are all emotional, just about different things.



guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Sep 2013
Age: 54
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,298
Location: Close To The Border

08 Jun 2015, 10:24 am

Pepe wrote:
guzzle wrote:
To me that could show an underlying tendency to avoid harsh truths actually...


In essence you are saying a Wiki contribution is being dishonest and I am using the same sort of dishonesty.
Is this right?
But the difference between us seems to be that I will use a rational approach in regards to this discussion whereas you have set out to paint me as inherently dishonest...
Unless you can correct any misunderstanding as to your intentions, I will simply put you down as a troll, consider reporting you to the admins, and ignore any further input on your part.
Simples... ;)


Denial is probably a more fitting word... and that is kind of dishonesty to the Self I suppose.

As for the Wiki contribution... I call it being economical with the truth. Bit like politicians...

You put me down as a troll darling. Or do report me. Never mind Wrong Planet. I reckon I'm in the Wrong Universe.

Twat :twisted:



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,388
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

08 Jun 2015, 10:28 am

Trust me, when I've had autistic meltdowns, it's all emotion. Same with my daughter, who's been diagnosed with PDD-NOS.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Mar 2012
Age: 79
Gender: Male
Posts: 545

08 Jun 2015, 10:30 am

Is a meltdown a display of emotions? Or should I ask, is it an outlet for surpressed emotions.

Kraichgauer, I didn't see your post. It looks like you've half answered my question.



Last edited by Grebels on 08 Jun 2015, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Nov 2010
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,469

08 Jun 2015, 10:32 am

Emotions underly all rational decision of human beings and are considered the core underlying force of cognitive executive functioning.

People who have poor regulation of emotions, including repressing pro-social emotions; most often have poor cognitive executive functioning in terms of short term working memory and focus to get almost anything done in life.

Human emotions emote human action; same as emotions emote actions in other social animals.

http://www.examiner.com/article/how-emotions-underly-quality-of-human-intentions-and-actions

Although in distant past, ideologies of the philosophy of emotions have been defined as weaker aspects of human nature; science today, shows with little to no doubt that emotional regulation is both important for cognitive executive functioning as well as overall health to moderate the ill effects of Chronic stress. Somatic pain ranging from headaches to stomach aches are more often caused by a mind and body out of balance, as emotions do flow throughout the body in feeling and sensing the world as an integral whole.

Eastern Philosophies have practiced arts of mind and body balance for thousands of years; and the results have always been clear that these folks enjoy a much higher quality of life in healthy well being. Science as slow as it can be in the clunky scientific method is now just catching up on what truly wise human beings have known all along.

A spoon-fed culture of mechanical cognition ways, as science now also shows, represses the social cognition mind of human beings that does most definitely regulate emotions in ways of non-verbal intelligence and reciprocal social communication.

And now movement and art therapies are being used successful in helping autistic children better regulate their emotions and integrate senses, and in doing so increase focus and short term working memory to successfully integrate into larger humanity; that has lesser issues in successfully regulating emotions and integrating senses, through much greater physical intelligence.

The worst possible thing any autistic person can do, who has difficulty reciprocally socially communicating with other folks is to discount the absolute necessity in life to increase emotional intelligence in life through greater physical intelligence in mind and body balance.

I've cured the reciprocal communication deficits of my Autism, as verified by doctors, through a practice of ballet and martial arts style dance walk now closing in on 3700 miles in a little over 21 months, through irrefutable evidence on my blogs, for the naysayers in life who say Autism cannot be cured.

Other people can do it too; but sitting behind a computer still, and not trying to do it in real flesh and blood life, will never allow one success in real flesh and blood life. And to be clear that's okay with me if that's all folks want to do in life.

But yes, there is so much more that folks are missing out that they could be experiencing in life; that makes an online life pale in comparison. But don't take my word for it.

Try it. One might just like it OR not, or whatever...


_________________
KATiE MiA FredericK!iI

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick


ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 13,399

08 Jun 2015, 10:37 am

And when you consider the Nazis, they were reacting rationally but it was only rational to them and not to everyone else since they were German and felt threatened because of The Treaty of Versailles. They saw it as an attempt to wipe Germany and the German people out of existence. It's what they believed and this treaty did cause hardships for a great many of them so it wasn't pure, unfounded paranoia. So they started thinking logically, as in, we must get them before they get us, and they started lashing out against whom they rationally thought were their enemies. It's not like the Nazis existed without thought. Hitler was just having spastic fits in an effort to appeal to the German proletariat since Nazism was primarily a political party representing the proletariat.

So you see, the Nazis, from their own point of view, were being rational, logical, and without emotion. Get rid of the ones who aren't useful to the betterment of the German state, find new places for Germans to live, use the enemy as sources of slave labor and the state will prosper. Completely rational and very little if any emotion for the ones they exploited for the betterment of the state.



aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Nov 2010
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,469

08 Jun 2015, 10:54 am

And ironically, per the 'OP'; just in 'your' words here, 'you' display an 'incredible' amount of 'negative emotionalism'; that vary from threatening people by reporting them to the moderators and personally attacking them by calling them trolls.

I've been posting here for closing in on 5 years now; and never in my life have I seen an overall group of people who are so controlled by negative emotions that they cannot even control their own language, as written word.

At least they have time to look out at it, and reconsider the negative emotionalism of personal attacks; as it is clear in the science of debate that personal attacks are the lowest level of critical analysis and debate in life; however, 'they' prove time and time again; that they themselves are controlled by negative human emotions.

And this is where emotional regulation comes into play; eliminating the negative human con-social emotions that CAN control behavior into dark; and instead, increasing the positive human pro-social emotions into light.

And this is where the bio-feedback, in the physical imaginative and creative activity of the much greater potential of physical/emotional intelligence of movement comes into play, as the emotions do run through the entire body; and to gain mastery over one's body in balance, is most definitely to gain mastery over one's regulation of emotions and integration of senses;

Like the Ice princess in the 'Frozen' movie does when she dances in the snow; she lets all the con-social emotions go; including false guilt and shame; and literally swirls in the positive flow of pro-social emotions..:)

It works for folks who practice it, in real flesh and blood physical action. For those who just talk about it; little is ever accomplished.

Thinking is not enough. Moving and feeling is required.


_________________
KATiE MiA FredericK!iI

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick


Last edited by aghogday on 08 Jun 2015, 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.