Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

MolotovCocktail
Raven
Raven

29 Mar 2007, 7:38 pm

DejaQ wrote:

Anyways, back on topic, I completely agree about religions. Many of them dictate that they are the one true faith, but honestly, which one do you believe? Obviously, it's usually the one that a person was brought up on. To top it off, any time someone disagrees with something in the holy texts, they can go and say that they're wrong and sway other people to their side. For instance, Henry VIII wanted a divorce, but the Catholic Church wouldn't allow it. What does he do? He breaks away, says that Catholicism is wrong, and his kingdom follows.

Needless to say, I am very irreligious.

Yes, this is true. Not only do religious and non-religious people debate about the meaning of the holy books, it is also debated (quite violently albeit) between people of the same religion or similar ones.

jolly_magpie
Raven
Raven

29 Mar 2007, 7:54 pm

You need to learn more about Islam. There is absolutely NOTHING racist about my comments.

jolly_magpie
Raven
Raven

29 Mar 2007, 8:00 pm

jolly_magpie
Raven
Raven

29 Mar 2007, 8:08 pm

DejaQ wrote:

From what I've heard, Mohamed encouraged people to respect religious diversity.

Source?

In case I am misunderstood here, I am NOT a racist. However, fundamentalist Islam is terribly dangerous. Most people in "the west" are well-meaning and have respect and tolerance for other religions, creeds and what-not. Fundamentalist Islam does not, and in fact needs to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 13th century.

Jihad CAN be a spiritual battle within yourself, but it is often misused by fanatical idiots with an axe to grind.

The fact is, most Muslim countries are spectacular failures and are looking for someone to blame it on. We and the jews are convenient targets.

MolotovCocktail
Raven
Raven

29 Mar 2007, 8:25 pm

jolly_magpie wrote:
DejaQ wrote:

From what I've heard, Mohamed encouraged people to respect religious diversity.

Source?

In case I am misunderstood here, I am NOT a racist. However, fundamentalist Islam is terribly dangerous. Most people in "the west" are well-meaning and have respect and tolerance for other religions, creeds and what-not. Fundamentalist Islam does not, and in fact needs to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 13th century.

Jihad CAN be a spiritual battle within yourself, but it is often misused by fanatical idiots with an axe to grind.

The fact is, most Muslim countries are spectacular failures and are looking for someone to blame it on. We and the jews are convenient targets.

Fundamentalist anything can be just as dangerous. As far as I know, the reason for the conflict in the middle east was caused entirely by the "noble" western nations. The United States, for example, trained Osama Bin Ladin in the 1980's to fight against Soviet occupation in Afghanistan, as well as supporting the Taliban movement. During WWI, the British trampled over the Ottoman Empire in an effort to secure its oil resources, and then supported Jewish terrorists during WWII in the effort to push the Muslims out of Israel.

This is not to say that I don't condemn the terrorist groups, which I do. But the point that I'm making is that the western world is also filled with hypocrisy and corruption.

Last edited by MolotovCocktail on 29 Mar 2007, 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2007, 8:27 pm

jolly_magpie wrote:
Source?

It was a video I saw in History class last year on the origins of Islam in our unit on the history of the Middle East.

jolly_magpie wrote:
In case I am misunderstood here, I am NOT a racist.

I believe you. No fooling.

jolly_magpie wrote:
However, fundamentalist Islam is terribly dangerous. Most people in "the west" are well-meaning and have respect and tolerance for other religions, creeds and what-not. Fundamentalist Islam does not, and in fact needs to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 13th century.

How's that any different from, say, fundamentalist Christianity? What about folks like Fred Phelps who are out holding signs saying "God hates fags" and that sort of smeg?

What makes the radicals define a religion that they represent? What makes these protesters any different from, say, those neo-nazi skinheads or klansmen or what have you that you see in large groups on TV sometimes?

jolly_magpie
Raven
Raven

29 Mar 2007, 8:34 pm

Quote:
Fundamentalist anything can be just as dangerous. As far as I know, the reason for the conflict in the middle east was caused entirely by the "noble" western nations. The United States, for example, trained Osama Bin Ladin in the 1980's to fight against Soviet occupation in Afghanistan, as well as supporting the Taliban movement. During WWI, the British trampled over the Ottoman Empire in an effort to secure its oil resources, and then supported Jewish terrorists during WWII in the effort to push the Muslims out of Israel.

This is not to say that I don't condemn the terrorist groups, which I do. But the point that I'm making is that the western world is also filled with hypocrisy and corruption.

Yes, agreed. Many of the problems in the mideast are rooted in centuries of ham-handed policies by the west, with little consideration for the people being abused/displaced. There is also LOTS of problems in the west too, I agree.

jolly_magpie
Raven
Raven

29 Mar 2007, 8:37 pm

DejaQ wrote:
jolly_magpie wrote:
Source?

It was a video I saw in History class last year on the origins of Islam in our unit on the history of the Middle East.

jolly_magpie wrote:
In case I am misunderstood here, I am NOT a racist.

I believe you. No fooling.

jolly_magpie wrote:
However, fundamentalist Islam is terribly dangerous. Most people in "the west" are well-meaning and have respect and tolerance for other religions, creeds and what-not. Fundamentalist Islam does not, and in fact needs to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 13th century.

How's that any different from, say, fundamentalist Christianity? What about folks like Fred Phelps who are out holding signs saying "God hates fags" and that sort of smeg?

What makes the radicals define a religion that they represent? What makes these protesters any different from, say, those neo-nazi skinheads or klansmen or what have you that you see in large groups on TV sometimes?

Yup, I think that fundamentalist anything is awful. Once you have all the answers you stop thinking...dogma takes over.

I was going to mention Phelps and his ilk if no one else did. BUT....he hasn't killed anyone that I know of.

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2007, 8:50 pm

jolly_magpie wrote:
I was going to mention Phelps and his ilk if no one else did. BUT....he hasn't killed anyone that I know of.

Neither have many fundamentalist Muslims, I believe, no matter how much they may endorse it.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2007, 12:21 am

jolly_magpie wrote:

hey ignoramus, fundamentalism exists in other religious sects than with islam.

have you heard of the westboro baptist church?

or how about the jewish defence league?

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2007, 1:37 am

jolly_magpie wrote:

talk to the victims of abortion clinic bombings.

edit: also, protesting "god hates fags" and "your son died because you sin" at soldiers' funerals is pretty disgusting and appalling even though it isn't murder.

Sanjuro
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Mar 2007, 9:45 am

I'm a revert/convert to Islam myself. The killing of innocent people regardless of their faith is forbidden in the Qur'an.

It's really sad to see folks like Craig Winn or Robert Spencer posing as experts and manipulating people who don't know anything about Islam.

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2007, 12:27 pm

I always ALWAYS love how extremist always cover their faces. If they are SO right then show your ****ing face - I just see a bunch of cowards (excluding women)

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

30 Mar 2007, 1:31 pm

why are there so many religions? i dont know nor do i care

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2007, 1:52 pm

richardbenson wrote:
why are there so many religions? i dont know nor do i care

Obviously you care or else you wouldnt have opened this thread