Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 4:18 pm

^^^

Conservatism, is part of innate nature, in general, as nicely illustrated in
this Ted Talk Video. It is as predictable as the nose on a person's face,
per metaphor of GOD gifted nature, as God as Nature, as is for Now,
as
HUMAN NATURE..:)

Some folks are open-minded; Some folks are closed-minded, IN GENERAL.

Polarized gender roles are strict closed-minded ways of social
roles in general; the stuff in between, is openness to NEW experience;
novelty, variety, diversity, in other words, 'the strange'; not something
that conservatives AKA Republicans can deal with easy; OVERALL,

ha! even when
one doesn't write the

standard way
IN 'Queen Victoria's English...

I like novelty.

I ain't scared of different;

Smiles..:)

YES, IT IS 'THE MATRIX';

and I for one choose the
green pill; as i understand
both ways of
life; and realize
the red and blue
pill Folks, one or the other, are
not going AWAY, as different;
so in this way, I am A SUPER COOL
OPEN-MINDED
GREEN-PILL LIBERAL..;)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 4:32 pm

Is there a transcript of that somewhere? I don't watch dramatic vlogs.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 5:07 pm

blauSamstag wrote:

Yes there is; in fact, since you don't watch Ted Talk Videos; you can read a transcript of any Ted talk, just by adding the word "transcript" to the end of the url address..:)

Yeah, I read much faster than watch videos, too; but I enjoy the non-verbal aspect of it as well, with cool humor and all of that; and special effects..:)

http://www.ted.com/talks/jonathan_haidt_on_the_moral_mind/transcript?language=en

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 6:07 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Why is it whenever something stands atop the tallest building and screams RACISM!! ! ! at highest volume and it's absolutely clear to anyone who happens to have two brain cells that's what it is but Republicans will downplay it or act like it's not. Why are Republicans so scared of calling something racist when it's so obvious that's what it is. They would get a lot more votes if they had the guts to call it for what it is instead of pretending like it doesn't exist.

Republicans are already downplaying Charleston shooter Dylann Roof's clearly racist ideology:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... n-shooting

I would like to hear from one Republican's mouth, and that includes talking heads like Limbaugh and Hannity, Dylann Roof is a racist and was motivated to kill by his own racist ideology. What is so difficult about that? I would feel so much better about them if they could at least face reality!

Republicans don't call out racists because they often are the racist...

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 6:16 pm

pcuser wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Why is it whenever something stands atop the tallest building and screams RACISM!! ! ! at highest volume and it's absolutely clear to anyone who happens to have two brain cells that's what it is but Republicans will downplay it or act like it's not. Why are Republicans so scared of calling something racist when it's so obvious that's what it is. They would get a lot more votes if they had the guts to call it for what it is instead of pretending like it doesn't exist.

Republicans are already downplaying Charleston shooter Dylann Roof's clearly racist ideology:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... n-shooting

I would like to hear from one Republican's mouth, and that includes talking heads like Limbaugh and Hannity, Dylann Roof is a racist and was motivated to kill by his own racist ideology. What is so difficult about that? I would feel so much better about them if they could at least face reality!

Republicans don't call out racists because they often are the racist...

This is the real reason they never can quite get the minority vote in America.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 6:17 pm

^^^
Don't be ridiculous, old white-guys would never dream of being racist. :roll:

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 6:20 pm

Venger wrote:
^^^
Don't be ridiculous, old white-guys would never dream of being racist. :roll:

That isn't racist at all.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 7:15 pm

^^^
That's good, although it would've been if I'd included the word "boys" instead of "guys" after the word white.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 7:27 pm

Venger wrote:
^^^
That's good, although it would've been if I'd included the word "boys" instead of "guys" after the word white.

Your statement is the very picture of racism.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 7:40 pm

^^^
which one?

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 9:54 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Venger wrote:
^^^

Your statement is the very picture of racism.
it would be if a) whites were not in the majority and b) people were more tolerant as they got older, not less as is the case.

source

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 10:00 pm

aghogday wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:

Yes there is; in fact, since you don't watch Ted Talk Videos; you can read a transcript of any Ted talk, just by adding the word "transcript" to the end of the url address..:)

Yeah, I read much faster than watch videos, too; but I enjoy the non-verbal aspect of it as well, with cool humor and all of that; and special effects..:)

http://www.ted.com/talks/jonathan_haidt_on_the_moral_mind/transcript?language=en

It's not just that. I have a philosophical objection to the whole concept of TED talks and similar productions that amount to a dramatic reading of a blog post.

It's just some BS someone wrote. But it's put together like a marketing presentation.

This has two major effects.

1: It makes it easier for lazy, uncritical people to experience the content.

2: It makes it harder for those watching the talk to dissect it, recognize fallacies, and analyze the logic, because of the linearity of the format. You can rewind the video, but it's a more laborious process than just glancing further up the page at another block of text. It's certainly harder to cite than a block of text, and in general the format does not invite criticism.

It's the ultimate format for the popularization of bad ideas.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 10:05 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Why is it whenever something stands atop the tallest building and screams RACISM!! ! ! at highest volume and it's absolutely clear to anyone who happens to have two brain cells that's what it is but Republicans will downplay it or act like it's not.

Some of the worst racism I've seen were in Democrat strongholds.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 10:24 pm

eric76 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Why is it whenever something stands atop the tallest building and screams RACISM!! ! ! at highest volume and it's absolutely clear to anyone who happens to have two brain cells that's what it is but Republicans will downplay it or act like it's not.

Some of the worst racism I've seen were in Democrat strongholds.

So were they in the majority or the minority, politically speaking?

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 10:55 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
aghogday wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:

It's not just that. I have a philosophical objection to the whole concept of TED talks and similar productions that amount to a dramatic reading of a blog post.

It's just some BS someone wrote. But it's put together like a marketing presentation.

This has two major effects.

1: It makes it easier for lazy, uncritical people to experience the content.

2: It makes it harder for those watching the talk to dissect it, recognize fallacies, and analyze the logic, because of the linearity of the format. You can rewind the video, but it's a more laborious process than just glancing further up the page at another block of text. It's certainly harder to cite than a block of text, and in general the format does not invite criticism.

It's the ultimate format for the popularization of bad ideas.

I can understand that; as I for one read 10 to 15 times faster than the average human; typing close to 130 words a minute when properly focused is an excellent advantage in today's world, too.

Problem is we live a society now, where science assesses the average attention span of a human being around that of a gold fish; yes, literally, a gold fish.

I write 11K word free verse epic poetry in one sitting; so attention and focus is NO PROBLEM FOR ME; NOT THE case though for the other 95 or so percent of the population that cannot do more than a Facebook status.

So science must get a little creative in the way of Ted Talks if there is any possibility that most anyone will gain the ability to think outside of the box, and in stretching their mind a little in novel possibilities of new horizons in thinking.

And to be clear, repeating the same old tired phrases that have been repeated in textbooks for decades is not getting outside of the box. At least Ted Talks, GET OUTSIDE OF THE BOX; and at least for me that is refreshing.

I am TIRED OF THE SAME OLD PHRASES, so I CHOOSE to create and just don't talk about it; I JUST DO IT, in whatever way suits my fancy.

But anyway; that IS THE issue and it is a FACT SUPPORTED by evidence that some folks are introverted conservative leaning type folks and others like me are super extroverts and very liberal, with little to no prejudice over ANYTHING in life.

I love using satire for social commentary; but I am well read ENOUGH to understand a spectrum of differences past black and white ideology that is the focus of racism everywhere one goes now, and throughout history of human beings..:)

I have experience literally working with around 100K folks in the general public, over the course of decades, in direct flesh and blood interaction.

I didn't need a Ted talk to understand that; I totally get it from the real flesh and blood world of experience..

Street smarts are the best kind of smarts for human survival, at core, at least..;)

Everything else is truly more or less mental 'masturbation'; but mental stimulation serves a valuable purpose; as well as a utilitarian one; obviously in developing cultural byproducts for material comfort.

Meh, I control my happiness from within; but 'YOGI' is a high intensity mind and body in balance workout; that excludes for now; hmm, somewhere around 99.99% of the population; but that is just a 'rough guesstimate, for now; as study of "Yogi's" is an art that barely exists in science..:)

TED TALKS ARE NO fly by night amateur blog show; they are the real deal; and not just anyone gets to come on that science show. If you do not watch them; there is no way one could assess that one way or the other; but that is your business and not mine.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2015, 1:33 am

Fugu wrote:
it's not guilt by association when racism is driving political efforts on the right in an obvious fashion.

Is it? Since it's so obvious, it should be no problem at all for you to provide some examples of such race driven political efforts, preferably ones not better explained by partisanship.

Fugu wrote:
a recent example of this would be the furor over the legitimacy of Obama's birth certificate.

That merely demonstrates a certain ruthlessness in going after a political opponent using whatever is available; proving actual racism is much trickier, though I'm beginning to suspect you don't actually know what it it.