Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 7:26 pm

I think this is quite concerning:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-de ... e23667724/

I had never heard of Block Bot. It seems it doesn't work at all like it should.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 8:36 pm

Heh, nothing better than seeing someone hoisted upon their own petard...

People like me have been noting the echo chamber dissent silencing aspects of the social justice brigade and its feminist wing for some time, maybe now they'll start to realize what a monster they've created.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 6:31 am

I see Voltaire's "I disapprove of what you have to say but will defend to the death your right to say it" has morphed into "I disapprove of what you have to say so STFU and get out of here".

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Jun 2015, 6:50 am

If you don't want to read someone's Tweets, then just don't follow them. This groupthink blocking seems like a dreadful idea.

(I would like to briefly point out that the article simplifies why Bindel and Greer have be no-platformed; both have been pretty loudly and proudly trans exclusionary. You can debate the rights and wrongs of silencing them, particularly away from trans issues, but I think people should know the whole story. Would you invite David Duke to debate the prison-industrial complex?)

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

04 Jun 2015, 7:10 am

Splitting is a common symptom of narcisictic and borderline personality disorder.

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 7:36 am

Feminism has evolved into two types:

1. Regular people, male and female, who believe in equality under the law and in equal pay for equal work.

2. Women exclusively with a huge chip on their shoulders who basically hate everything, but especially hate men. As I found out from personal experiences, they also hate women who like men.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 10:19 am

MollyTroubletail wrote:
Feminism has evolved into two types:

1. Regular people, male and female, who believe in equality under the law and in equal pay for equal work.

2. Women exclusively with a huge chip on their shoulders who basically hate everything, but especially hate men. As I found out from personal experiences, they also hate women who like men.

Something like this, although even the first group seems to think things like the wage gap still exists (what feminists allege is still going on was made illegal in the US in 1964).

And sadly, the second group is not exclusively female. While women like Chanty Binx make up the feminist aristocracy and the only people incapable of rasism, sexism and oppression, that part of the movement has a subdued underclass of male allies that will turn themselves inside out to please feminists. Males aren't considered to be "real" feminists, and will get thrown under a bus when convenient, see feminists recent treatment of Joss Whedon.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 11:43 am

Yes, the SJ people frequently do this, it's their forte.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 2:15 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
Something like this, although even the first group seems to think things like the wage gap still exists (what feminists allege is still going on was made illegal in the US in 1964).
right, because making something illegal causes it to implode and never appear again, right? (like hemp/mj, liquor, et c)
:roll:

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 2:23 pm

beneficii wrote:
I think this is quite concerning:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-de ... e23667724/

I had never heard of Block Bot. It seems it doesn't work at all like it should.
radical feminist doesn't like being told their peers are hateful clowns = silencing dissent? uhhh :lol:

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 2:33 pm

Fugu wrote:
right, because making something illegal causes it to implode and never appear again, right? (like hemp/mj, liquor, et c)

No, but it does open doors for prosecution should there be actual evidence of this happening, rather than retreating into an echo chamber and crying about the omnipresent patriarchy. Furtermore, the study they reference as evidence of this was an across-the-board division of mens hours working by their wages and same for women, with no regard for other factors. Later studies taking other factors into account show the alleged pay gap to be insignificant or nonexistent.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 2:45 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
Fugu wrote:

No, but it does open doors for prosecution should there be actual evidence of this happening, rather than retreating into an echo chamber and crying about the omnipresent patriarchy. Furtermore, the study they reference as evidence of this was an across-the-board division of mens hours working by their wages and same for women, with no regard for other factors. Later studies taking other factors into account show the alleged pay gap to be insignificant or nonexistent.
except that it's endemic to the systems in place, mere litigation is not going to have sufficient impact.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 2:49 pm

So, If legal action is not enough, what illegal actions do you propose?

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 2:52 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
So, If legal action is not enough, what illegal actions do you propose?
that's a very nice strawman you have there.(I never said legal action)

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 3:01 pm

Apologies, intended more as a pun than an accusation. I do, however wonder what more can be done to make a thing illegal than to make it illegal. Making weed and alcohol illegal may indeed have little to no impact on their prolificness, because they are easy to come by and/or produce without the involvement of the government. Running an above-board company that has to report incomes for taxation and what-not (unsure of the terms here, english is my second language). I question the risk/reward value of paying women less just because, and risk prosecution, than to just have equal pay and carry on.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 3:41 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
Apologies, intended more as a pun than an accusation. I do, however wonder what more can be done to make a thing illegal than to make it illegal. Making weed and alcohol illegal may indeed have little to no impact on their prolificness, because they are easy to come by and/or produce without the involvement of the government. Running an above-board company that has to report incomes for taxation and what-not (unsure of the terms here, english is my second language). I question the risk/reward value of paying women less just because, and risk prosecution, than to just have equal pay and carry on.
it's not simply a question of legislating change, people have to change their views on equality first.