Should I leave Islam to avoid right-wing extremists?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

MonsterCrack
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2015, 7:40 pm

I'm 16, and I know that Muslims are the most persecuted minority in america, and muslims in europe are horribly mistreated... My family is Muslim. If people like pamela geller, sean hannity, bridgette gabriel, or ann coulter have their way, ill be placed in an internment camp, imprisoned, deported, segregated or even sent to a concentration camp JUST for being Muslim. And with the rise of the radical right in america, im scared that will become a reality.... as conservatives have no respect for the constitution... (I'm libertarian). Should I apostasize from islam and become a member of the adyghe habze circassian faith (I'm part circassian) in order to appease the right-wingers and stop having my feelings hurt?

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2015, 7:57 pm

MonsterCrack wrote:
I'm 16, and I know that Muslims are the most persecuted minority in america, and muslims in europe are horribly mistreated... My family is Muslim. If people like pamela geller, sean hannity, bridgette gabriel, or ann coulter have their way, ill be placed in an internment camp, imprisoned, deported, segregated or even sent to a concentration camp JUST for being Muslim. And with the rise of the radical right in america, im scared that will become a reality.... as conservatives have no respect for the constitution... (I'm libertarian). Should I apostasize from islam and become a member of the adyghe habze circassian faith (I'm part circassian) in order to appease the right-wingers and stop having my feelings hurt?
if you make a decision out of fear, soon all your decisions will be made out of fear.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2015, 7:58 pm

You should leave Islam to avoid Muslim extremists.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2015, 8:00 pm

Part of the problem I'm guessing is you're 16 and are forced to deal with other people who are 16 and they'll still say a lot of punk things to people who are different.

I wouldn't change your beliefs for convenience sake (add +1 to what Fugu said), you can work to constantly deepen the ways in which they help you to constantly become a better person and I'd even do that for the sake of living against whatever stigma you believe is happening. If you worry about Islamic extremism forcing a stereotype try employing different aspects of Sufism or even without that just claim your own identity and prove to people that your an individual and a Muslim and that they have to take you as you first. Christian Dominionists and particularly Dominion Theology are types of people we all shudder at the thought of running the country and if they did take over we'd just have our own radical system that most moderate Christians would run from the way moderate Muslims would run from Salafism.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

06 Jul 2015, 8:19 pm

Don't bother, stupid people with hate in their heart probably wouldn't differentiate Adyghe Habze(fwiw I am not familiar with it myself) from Islam. What I suggest is just being you and to live your life the way you want to live it, just be a good person and that will influence and change the views ignorant people might have about Muslims.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2015, 8:21 pm

MonsterCrack wrote:

Right wing extremist here :D
Back during the aftermath of 9/11 I believe you would have had cause for concern the same as a Japanese American person would have in the wake of Pearl Harbor. The 9/11 era is long over and barring future events of that magnitude, which I don't see happening, I see no cause for fear of us right wing extremists. The only exception might but not necessarily be if you are living in a very small and backward town.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2015, 8:34 pm

Fnord wrote:

Isn't that technically a subset of right-wing extremists?

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Jul 2015, 5:17 am

Jacoby wrote:
Don't bother, stupid people with hate in their heart probably wouldn't differentiate Adyghe Habze(fwiw I am not familiar with it myself) from Islam. What I suggest is just being you and to live your life the way you want to live it, just be a good person and that will influence and change the views ignorant people might have about Muslims.

This. They probably won't differentiate Hinduism from Islam. However, I don't think you're at any serious risk.

You should follow whichever religion you believe is true and you find personally fulfilling. The only reason you should leave a religion is because you don't want to be part of it any more. The only reason you should join a religion is because you believe it is true.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2015, 10:26 am

We live in a country where an African American

with a Muslim Middle name of Hussein can become President.

The United States Supreme Court recently passes judgement
on a federal requirement that Homosexuals must
be allowed civil unions of marriage, in ALL 50 states.

The American Dream is finally becoming truly free,
as more than likely we will embrace our first female president at the
beginning of next year as well, per Hillary Clinton; as she has the
Political experience and clout while most everyone else is disagreeing
with each other battling in the background of political indecisiveness.

Now is the time more than ever to embrace American Freedoms
and the greatest of those freedoms is the right to practice one's
choice of religion ranging from Atheism to Pantheism and all between.

Some of the most loving unconditionally loving people
I have ever known in my life are Muslim females.

I judge a religion by the love of those who follow the religion I meet in life.

Islam must be a more beautiful religion than Christianity as those kind of
loving people who truly put GOD above materialism live no
where here in the U.S.A. that I come across;
in fact, I have to go to Pakistan
to truly find someone
to accept
all I am,
as a loving
friend in GOD.

So in other words, the haters are always gonna hate the different among us,
whether that means a covered head; or queer way of walking,
or an androgynous child gifted with a unique in between
beauty that not many other people share;
and no, it's not just my opinion it is
evidenced in science that some
folks are born close-minded
to differences among others
and some folks are born open-minded
in tolerance, acceptance, and embracing human diversity;
as well as change in exploring imagination and creative ways of
doing stuff in life; the free among us must fight to remain free and exploring
life's greatest mysteries; but we must not change to appease the haters among us
as when we do that; we too become haters of spirit who refuse to accept the different among us..:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2015, 11:11 am

Interesting read: the Wiki articles about the Circassians, and about their native folk religion of Habze The later sounds like a respectable monotheistic faith that would be as appealing as any other modern religion from how Wiki describes it.

(for other readers the Circassians live in southern Russia, north of the Caucasus. Kinda near Chechenya).

The ethnic group seems to be split between Muslims and those reviving Habze. And some of the Muslims are becoming infected with Wahabism.

How did you become Muslim in the first place?

Is it because you feared the Muslim extremist in your homeland? Or because you actually believe in it?
I just read about that author in your country who got murdered by Muslim extremist just for writing a book the lays out ancient Habze rituals. Anyone who defies fanatics in either Christianity or Islam gets my applause.

If you go with Islam here in the US you're not going to face the kind of physical threat that you might face in your homeland for...NOT choosing Islam... it thats what you're worried about. Local bigots may hate you. But neither they nor the government is going to haul you off in the foreseeable future.

It would probably be harder to find a Habze community to worship with here in the US than it would be to find a Muslim community.

But as several above posters said: go with your beliefs, and not with your fears.

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2015, 4:39 pm

MonsterCrack wrote:
If people like pamela geller, sean hannity, bridgette gabriel, or ann coulter have their way...

God tells us to be strong in the face of our enemies. Do you want to live your life at the whims of other people?

They won't have their way. The liberal party in America is strong. When liberals want change, they get the change they want. Conservatives are just impotent bullies afraid of change.

Someday every American town is going to have a mosque in it, and Muslims will be seen as equal to Christians. Conservatives need to get used to that idea, because it's going to happen, and I'd like you to be a part of it.

Peacesells
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2015, 4:47 pm

Fnord wrote:

What?