Page 2 of 11 [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 5:10 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
That should never happen at such a friendly, supportive web site, should it?

This isn't a friendly and supportive forum on WP. It's where people come to battle to the death... with words! :roll:

Conspiracies are not the same as conspiracy theories. Believing in one would not be the same as believing in the other.

Last edited by RoadRatt on 13 Jul 2015, 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 5:11 pm

nurseangela wrote:
Fugu wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
TheGuardian.com wrote:
Oh, I don’t care.

--John Lennon to Dick Cavett (September 11, 1971)
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... population

What does this post mean?
I was referencing this thread and mirroring AU's irrelevant quote with an irrelevant image.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 5:19 pm

RoadRatt wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:

This isn't a friendly and supportive forum on WP. It's where people come to battle to the death... with words! :roll:

Conspiracies are not the same as conspiracy theories. Believing in one would not be the same as believing in the other.

And yet, all conspiracies were, at one time, conspiracy theories.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 5:25 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
So i think my fellow utahn should maybe ask his doctor if Saphris is right for him. After reading his posts in this thread, out loud, and verbatim.

AspieUtah, don't you do it! BlauSamstag just has underhanded motives to get you on psych drugs so you won't pass Obama's background check for having any mental illnesses and have to give up your rights as a proud gun owner. BlauSamstag, I've got your number. :D

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 5:25 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
RoadRatt wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:

And yet, all conspiracies were, at one time, conspiracy theories.
criminal conspiracies aren't the same thing as conspiracy theories.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 5:27 pm

RoadRatt wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:

Don't you have to have a conspiracy theory first before a conspiracy?

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 5:34 pm

nurseangela wrote:
RoadRatt wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:

No. An actual conspiracy can be uncovered that was never previously theorized about.

'Conspiracy theory' seems to be used to describe a suspected conspiracy that has no evidence to make it plausible (yes, I know that's a value judgement).

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 5:35 pm

nurseangela wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:
So i think my fellow utahn should maybe ask his doctor if Saphris is right for him. After reading his posts in this thread, out loud, and verbatim.

AspieUtah, don't you do it! BlauSamstag just has underhanded motives to get you on psych drugs so you won't pass Obama's background check for having any mental illnesses and have to give up your rights as a proud gun owner. BlauSamstag, I've got your number. :D

I resist ALL unnecessary pharmaceutical drugs, especially sassafras.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 5:37 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:

I resist ALL unnecessary pharmaceutical drugs, especially sassafras.
rootbeer is never unnecessary

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 5:43 pm

Janissy wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
RoadRatt wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:

No. An actual conspiracy can be uncovered that was never previously theorized about.

'Conspiracy theory' seems to be used to describe a suspected conspiracy that has no evidence to make it plausible (yes, I know that's a value judgement).

con·spir·a·cy the·o·ry
noun
a belief that some covert but influential organization is responsible for a circumstance or event.

The person who came up with the conspiracy would first have to have the theory in their head (the belief that the theory was even possible - therefore a "conspiracy theorist") before the actual conspiracy could be formed. So we're going to have to agree to disagree I guess.

Darn, I flunked.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 5:55 pm

nurseangela wrote:
Janissy wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
RoadRatt wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:

con·spir·a·cy the·o·ry
noun
a belief that some covert but influential organization is responsible for a circumstance or event.

The person who came up with the conspiracy would first have to have the theory in their head (the belief that the theory was even possible - therefore a "conspiracy theorist") before the actual conspiracy could be formed. So we're going to have to agree to disagree I guess.

When people plan a conspiracy, their plan is not called a conspiracy theory. That term is reserved for people not actually involved in the conspiracy, as your definition shows.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 6:04 pm

So, when this all turns out to be just a training exercise, what are the odds that we will be told that this was only because we were saved by the brave patriots who brought the original, nefarious plot to light?

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 6:26 pm

Janissy wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
Janissy wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
RoadRatt wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:

con·spir·a·cy the·o·ry
noun

When people plan a conspiracy, their plan is not called a conspiracy theory. That term is reserved for people not actually involved in the conspiracy, as your definition shows.

And what makes you think that the people doing the conspiracy are actually thinking that they are doing a conspiracy and not just doing the conspiracy without thinking about it?

Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 6:29 pm

Woo Hoo! I'm a toucan now! On my way to veteran status....

Darn, I flunked.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 6:34 pm

Conspiracy is a real thing. It just means two or more people working together toward a goal.

Talk of grand conspiracy, particularly grand conspiracies that require a large number of people to keep the same secrets, or which would require some members to be super-competent, can generally be rejected out of hand.

Take for example, moon landing deniers. The sheer number of people involved in the lunar missions - tens of thousands of people - and not a single one of them spills the beans?

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 6:39 pm

in particular, with jade helm, i have a hard time swallowing the proposition that our own soldiers are going to invade our own territory