Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MonsterCrack
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2015, 12:56 pm

I was raised Muslim, and now live in a single parent home with my mom. I'm 16. I've wanted to convert to Judaism for a while, and have finally decided to start the process. Problem is, I've tried converting before but my mom got furious and I went back to Islam. I have tried converting again but I'm keeping it a secret.... how do I practice the faith of my own in peace?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2015, 2:45 pm

Do you live at your mom's home? If you do, then I'd suggest the only way you're going to pull that off is by moving out.
Why do you want to change faiths?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2015, 2:52 pm

MonsterCrack wrote:
I was raised Muslim, and now live in a single parent home with my mom. I'm 16. I've wanted to convert to Judaism for a while, and have finally decided to start the process. Problem is, I've tried converting before but my mom got furious and I went back to Islam. I have tried converting again but I'm keeping it a secret.... how do I practice the faith of my own in peace?
Move out, get a place of your own, and pay for it out of your own pocket.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2015, 3:39 pm

^^ seems like the best option unfortunately. :? i don't think you need to know hebrew?

do you have a job or any way of making money?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Jul 2015, 3:58 pm

You seem to change your religion fairly frequently. A week ago you wanted to join a very obscure religion. I find it hard to believe you are frequently walking the road to Damascus. Perhaps the best thing to do is to stop changing religion and settle on what you believe? Maybe study religions without deciding to follow them?

Other options:

1) Actually be frank with your mother and stick to your guns.
2) Just incorporate elements of new faiths into your Islamic worship. For example, when you pray, do it to the god you actually believe in. Nobody will know.

Ultimately I think you probably need to change the way you think about religion. It's OK to not commit to any religion, and if you do commit to one it should be because you sincerely believe it.

Officially converting to Judaism is particularly hard, you need to study the Torah for many years in the supervision of a Rabbi to show your commitment. I think you will also need to consent to being mutilated, unless you are already.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2015, 4:05 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Do you live at your mom's home? If you do, then I'd suggest the only way you're going to pull that off is by moving out.
Why do you want to change faiths?

Or just practice it when she's not around...and you could still fake you haven't changed faiths in front of her. I mean that would be a lot of effort but in the end she can't decide what your spiritual beliefs are or what you do and don't believe in regardless of how furious she would get.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2015, 4:07 pm

Also where does the mentality that now one has to follow the religion of their parents or 'move out' from? Do those of you who have expresed this honestly think a parent has the authority to control a persons religion if they still live 'under their roof'? I mean sure they can kick them out if they want, but based on a couple comments seems like people here would agree with a parent kicking their kid out just for finding another religion....disturbing.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2015, 9:24 pm

Sixteen is too young for you to be expected to "move out" and support yourself.

But its ALSO too young to make a decision like ...even which political party to register under-much less what religion to adhere to. You cant even vote yet.

And you haven't really "converted" to Judaism yet (because that's an involved process).

You have a strong interest in Judaism.

So its your "interest" and or "attraction" to Judaism that you're trying to hide. Not an actual conversion.

Just keep the interest to yourself. Stay open to ideas in general. By the time you're old enough to move out you will be also old enough to really decide what your religious beliefs are. Don't worry so much about it.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

17 Jul 2015, 2:18 am

Why do you want to convert to Judaism? Is that what you believe? Do you believe in Islam? I wouldn't be apart of any religion if I didn't believe it or at least saw some social benefit to joining.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 3:54 am

Islam especially is hard to hide a conversion away from; missing prayers is kinda obvious.

As stated before, getting your own place to live is the only way to pull this off.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 6:20 am

Why follow any religion at all?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 8:27 am

He's only 16. He can't sign contracts (like leases) unless he gets "emancipated."

Mr. Monster, please try to really THINK about it before you "convert" to any religion.

Maybe you could develop your own religion which incorporates all your beliefs. But until you're 18, you'll have to prey to Mecca five times a day.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Jul 2015, 12:45 pm

No Kraftie, I don't agree that he should have to pray to Mecca if he doesn't want to. 16 is an age at which many people start trying to find their own feet. Some people no longer want to go to a Christian church with their family. It's very difficult to attempt changing from the Islam faith: more so than with Christianity. But he can practice in secret if he really wants to follow or study a new path.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 1:04 pm

I can only say you could keep your religion secret?

May I ask why you don't follow islam anymore? Just curious because I'm quite interested in Islam. To me it makes a lot of sense.

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Jul 2015, 1:20 pm

I don't know where the OP lives, but most Western Muslims don't pray 5 times a day. He'd probably just have to go to the Mosque and play along there.

Oh, you were worried about violence against Muslims? There is much more anti-Semetic violence in the US (although that could just be because there are more Jews).

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 1:47 pm

I'm a practicing Muslim and 17 but I'm wondering why are you leaving Islam? Have you studied both religions? I think to be Jewish you have to have Jewish blood/roots from your mother's side, Judaism depends on your bloodline mainly or something.

Last edited by Zajie on 17 Jul 2015, 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.