Plenty of Young People Out There Condemn Drugs

Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 11:22 pm

just saying, at least 2 students wanted weed at that school. probably a lot more.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 2:01 am

Spiderpig wrote:
I said just freedom, not freedom of expression. Of course you're free to condemn their freedom, but you're still condemning their freedom.

In what way are using "freedom"? Isn't it being illegal condemning their freedom more.

Are you basically invoking the Harm Principle? In which case I generally agree. The war on drugs does more harm than good, becuase and the drug cartels don't want it to be legal. Also there are some sound economic argument too, the price of heroin, crack and meth has an impact on crime, and if more was now about addict they could be better treated, and they would be healthier.

That is not the same as saying people should do drugs. Some drugs it is really dumb idea to get into, and if you think that "condemning their freedom", you are thin skinned. I'm condemning your freedom to play with high voltage in your bathtub.

MJ definitely should be legal and it is has many benefits. That's not to say it can't do harm too. Some people should stay a away from it becuase the have a predisposition to mental illness, I know this from my own family. People get all up in arms about the suggestion

Skunk is not a good idea. Numerous studies have found that skunk is the real problem. It is popular, but it is a bad idea compared to to others forms. It has way too much THC and not enough CBD. Research has found that the proportion of CBD is an important stabilizing factor on the brain long term. Skunk has become increasingly potent since the 60s, mainly becuase of criminals making it so.

Normal herbal cannabis and resin are much safer than skunk. Though smoking is not as good as other forms of consumption, simply becuase you are breathing in smoke.

Obviously the most dangerous drug according the Lancet harm index is Alcohol by far. It causes the most social harm, and the most medical problems to the population.

There are really good medical uses of cannabis/hemp products including for forms of cancer. The problem is much of this "medical mj" industry has nothing to do with that research. That was a side effect of not fully legalizing it. People have made all sort of claims that are based on anecdotal evidence. No drug is a cure all. Way too much significance has been placed on strains and sub strains, especially minimal variations which don't produce the exact same mix each crop anyway. There are other Cannabinoids an ingredients but THC and CBD are the main ones.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 2:04 am

I think that anyone that pushes drugs at a school is at least a bit of a douche bag.

When you are sure of yourself you can open a shop or let adult come to you, you don't have peddle to children.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Jul 2015, 8:19 am

0_equals_true wrote:
Skunk has become increasingly potent since the 60s, mainly becuase of criminals making it so.

I believe this is an urban myth. Jacqui Smith needed a reason to justify cracking down on cannabis, so she cited some dodgy facts which scientifically-illiterate journalists reported as if they were fact.

See here and also the link to Ben Goldacre's earlier article.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 10:31 am

0_equals_true wrote:
In what way are using "freedom"? Isn't it being illegal condemning their freedom more.

Of course, but I didn't deny that.

0_equals_true wrote:
Are you basically invoking the Harm Principle? In which case I generally agree. The war on drugs does more harm than good, becuase and the drug cartels don't want it to be legal. Also there are some sound economic argument too, the price of heroin, crack and meth has an impact on crime, and if more was now about addict they could be better treated, and they would be healthier.

Not exactly, but I think people should be well informed about what drugs do and allowed to face the consequences of their actions if they decide to take them anyway. The side effect of not creating a market for mafias would be nice, too.

I should point out I got the story a little mixed up. I understood it was about a high-school teenager's opinion, but thought the drugs were being sold on a university campus, where students are adults.

0_equals_true wrote:
That is not the same as saying people should do drugs. Some drugs it is really dumb idea to get into, and if you think that "condemning their freedom", you are thin skinned. I'm condemning your freedom to play with high voltage in your bathtub.

So why bother telling people what they should do? Unless you're actually in a position to stop them, you're only inviting them to do it simply to make the point that they don't take any orders from you. I'm surprised at the lengths most people are willing to go to in order to prove this point, but it seems an inborn feature of the neurotypical mind, and it's probably important, as natural selection has clearly favored it.

It should be enough to let them know the facts. They should know they're as free to destroy their brains and lungs with drugs as they are to break their heads open with a hammer or to jump off a cliff to certain death. Let them figure out whose interest is best served by not doing it and that the first and foremost person you rebel against and damage by doing it is yourself. It doesn't look very "cool" from this point of view if you ask me.

0_equals_true wrote:
MJ definitely should be legal and it is has many benefits. That's not to say it can't do harm too. Some people should stay a away from it becuase the have a predisposition to mental illness, I know this from my own family. People get all up in arms about the suggestion

No more than some people should stay away from knives, chainsaws, lye, rat poison or what have you. Almost anything can be dangerous.

0_equals_true wrote:
Skunk is not a good idea. Numerous studies have found that skunk is the real problem. It is popular, but it is a bad idea compared to to others forms. It has way too much THC and not enough CBD. Research has found that the proportion of CBD is an important stabilizing factor on the brain long term. Skunk has become increasingly potent since the 60s, mainly becuase of criminals making it so.

So even skunk wouldn't be so bad if it were legal.

0_equals_true wrote:
Normal herbal cannabis and resin are much safer than skunk. Though smoking is not as good as other forms of consumption, simply becuase you are breathing in smoke.

Obviously the most dangerous drug according the Lancet harm index is Alcohol by far. It causes the most social harm, and the most medical problems to the population.

Well, completely banning alcohol would require crazy totalitarian measures. Very much anything with sugars and some other kind of organic matter to keep bacteria alive can be used to make an alcoholic beverage. In fact, it's easy to make one by accident.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 12:57 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
I think that anyone that pushes drugs at a school is at least a bit of a douche bag.

When you are sure of yourself you can open a shop or let adult come to you, you don't have peddle to children.

I remain unsure that so-called 'pushers' exist in large numbers.

teens are surely susceptible to peer pressure, but that comes from people they already admire.

I suspect that most people who sell weed are found by their customers, not the other way around.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 1:37 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
just saying, at least 2 students wanted weed at that school. probably a lot more.

Yeah there's always going to be some who do but the vast majority at this particular school do not yet they don't get a platform to let it be known. What the media does now is make it look like drugs are a fact of life and every young person experiments with them, it's a rite of passage and it's a major transgression to dare criticize these drugs.

Pot isn't so bad in my book, even though I don't personally like the way it smells because it gives me bad headaches, but I would stop there. The worst drug of all time is definitely heroin and I was friends with someone who tried it when I was a teenager and he said it was the worst experience of his life! He absolutely hated it because it paralyzed him except his mind was working, he was paranoid, scared and all he could do was think about how messed up he was. He tried it once then never, ever again and this guy did a lot of drugs and his parents wanted to place him in a rehab and even he hated it! I actually wanted to try it until he told me how god awful it was when he did, then I got really scared to ever do it. All it took was that one talk with him and it was enough to put me off that godawful drug forever but all you read and hear about it in the media being warm fuzzies is complete bs.

I get so annoyed at the warm fuzzy drug descriptions. Surely there are people who have had different experiences, are willing to share, but are instantly bullied by this massive wave of pro drug energy and it's everywhere so their voices are never heard and people are left thinking it's all sunshines and rosey posies!

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

19 Jul 2015, 1:50 pm

I 100% advocate the use of marijuana both medicinally and recreationally(which is medicinal in of itself at least for us) because you have to look at the alternative which is some patented unnatural prescription with god knows how many side effects. No painkiller on earth today is less toxic than marijuana and it is more effective than anything you can get over the counter of which plenty can kill you, this is an undeniable fact. I heard a wise man( :P ) once say something like "nobody has ever died from a weed overdose, aspirin is completely legal but take 13 of them and it will be the last headache you'll ever have!" Paraphrasing of course. :wink:

Acetaminophen destroys your liver and they put it in almost everything sometimes even for that expressed purpose. Lets not even get started on psych drugs as far as toxicity and side effects go. We all know alcohol and cigarettes are much worse for your health. Everyone that gets on the their high horse about marijuana has some equal or more likely much worse vice, there is no legitimate argument against. I generally am anti-drug, doctor prescribed pharmaceuticals being amongst the more harmful. Marijuana is not a drug, it is a plant. It isn't toxic and it isn't physically addictive.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 2:00 pm

Jacoby wrote:
I 100% advocate the use of marijuana both medicinally and recreationally(which is medicinal in of itself at least for us) because you have to look at the alternative which is some patented unnatural prescription with god knows how many side effects. No painkiller on earth today is less toxic than marijuana and it is more effective than anything you can get over the counter of which plenty can kill you, this is an undeniable fact. I heard a wise man( :P ) once say something like "nobody has ever died from a weed overdose, aspirin is completely legal but if take 13 of them and it will be the last headache you ever have!" Paraphrasing of course. :wink: Acetaminophen destroys your liver and they put it in almost everything sometimes even for that expressed purpose. Lets not even get started on psych drugs as far as toxicity and side effects go. We all know alcohol and cigarettes are much worse for your health. Everyone that gets on the their high horse about marijuana has some equal or more likely much worse vice, there is no legitimate argument against.

That's your opinion. I don't advocate it because I have never had a good experience with it. It just makes me sick for some reason. One time I smoked it and I honestly felt like I was going to die, other times, I smoked it and nothing happened. Every time I smoked it, I coughed up a lung. It sucked. It's not for me. I am not going to sit here and say it's really great when I have never experienced it myself yet I was surrounded by people who literally worshipped it. I always wondered what about it they liked so much.

I have much better experiences with small amounts of alcohol.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

19 Jul 2015, 2:14 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
I 100% advocate the use of marijuana both medicinally and recreationally(which is medicinal in of itself at least for us) because you have to look at the alternative which is some patented unnatural prescription with god knows how many side effects. No painkiller on earth today is less toxic than marijuana and it is more effective than anything you can get over the counter of which plenty can kill you, this is an undeniable fact. I heard a wise man( :P ) once say something like "nobody has ever died from a weed overdose, aspirin is completely legal but if take 13 of them and it will be the last headache you ever have!" Paraphrasing of course. :wink: Acetaminophen destroys your liver and they put it in almost everything sometimes even for that expressed purpose. Lets not even get started on psych drugs as far as toxicity and side effects go. We all know alcohol and cigarettes are much worse for your health. Everyone that gets on the their high horse about marijuana has some equal or more likely much worse vice, there is no legitimate argument against.

That's your opinion. I don't advocate it because I have never had a good experience with it. It just makes me sick for some reason. One time I smoked it and I honestly felt like I was going to die, other times, I smoked it and nothing happened. Every time I smoked it, I coughed up a lung. It sucked. It's not for me. I am not going to sit here and say it's really great when I have never experienced it myself yet I was surrounded by people who literally worshipped it. I always wondered what about it they liked so much.

I have much better experiences with small amounts of alcohol.

Self medicating with alcohol is not a great idea, I come from a heavy drinking culture and I grew up with an alcoholic father. It destroys your body, you can ruin your career, drive away you family, and maybe end up hurting another person. I would say you were lucky to be around potheads instead of a bunch of drunks. I was able to move away from the culture of drinking until you pass out by replacing it with weed, I like it better and it helps me.

As for your experiences, I don't know what to say other than perhaps you weren't doing it right or maybe you smoking some garbage stuff. A lot of people that aren't experienced with weed will say they don't get high or don't get what the fuss is and I believe usually that's because they don't know how to hit the weed yet. Headache sounds like schwag maybe, medicinal stuff is wayyyyyy different. There are thousands of different strains all with varying effects and characteristics.

Suit yourself tho

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 3:28 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:

Yeah there's always going to be some who do but the vast majority at this particular school do not yet they don't get a platform to let it be known.

You mean, other than their spokesperson who was interviewed by the local tv news? Sounds like a platform to me.

Quote:
What the media does now is make it look like drugs are a fact of life and every young person experiments with them, it's a rite of passage and it's a major transgression to dare criticize these drugs.

If you include alcohol in that generalization, yes, 81% of teens say they have tried it.

I'm not sure where you are getting the idea that 'the media' considers it a transgression to criticize teen drug use.

I'm old, though. from the generation of "I learned it from watching you!" and "this is your brain on drugs" and "just say no" when Nancy Reagan had convinced the media to tell us absurd lies about how one nostril full of second hand pot smoke was going to send us inexorably down a road where we would eventually do angel dust and then die during a conflict with the cops.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 3:31 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Marijuana is not a drug, it is a plant. It isn't toxic and it isn't physically addictive.

Marijuana is certainly a drug. Many drugs, such as morphine, come from plants.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 4:06 pm

blauSamstag wrote:

teens are surely susceptible to peer pressure, but that comes from people they already admire.

I suspect that most people who sell weed are found by their customers, not the other way around.

The only peer pressure I have experienced is from people who have a addiction/drug problem, they wish to downplay their problem in your eyes by doing it recreationally with you. They don't tend to do it when sober though, it is when they are already high or drunk.

I'm not a supporter of the gateway drug argument anyway.

Drug dealer ofter aren't your peers anyway. There is a financial incentive to get people addicted, but mj isn't that addictive.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 4:09 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:
Skunk has become increasingly potent since the 60s, mainly becuase of criminals making it so.

I believe this is an urban myth. Jacqui Smith needed a reason to justify cracking down on cannabis, so she cited some dodgy facts which scientifically-illiterate journalists reported as if they were fact.

See here and also the link to Ben Goldacre's earlier article.

Whether or not that is true, the other thing about shunk being more potent than resin and other forms is true as are the studies on health effects of skunk and other forms.

I also couldn't disagree more with Jacqui Smith on the solution.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 4:31 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:

The only peer pressure I have experienced is from people who have a addiction/drug problem, they wish to downplay their problem in your eyes by doing it recreationally with you. They don't tend to do it when sober though, it is when they are already high or drunk.

I'm not a supporter of the gateway drug argument anyway.

Drug dealer ofter aren't your peers anyway. There is a financial incentive to get people addicted, but mj isn't that addictive.

I can't say i was ever pressured to partake of any drug experience in my youth.

I should have been clear that i don't think dealers of any illicit drug spend a significant amount of time trying to create new customers. Most have probably never consciously decided to try to entice people.

It probably happens - there are likely a few - but my guess is that it is a bogeyman myth that started in the 80's.

Most people are probably exposed to drug use socially - someone is using recreationally, and offers to let others share the experience. Like being offered a beer at a party. Teens need to feel that they belong so they may accept it purely to fit in, and they may then discover that they like it. Passing a joint or bong, same thing.

The specter of a tough kid lingering on the playground and enticing innocent youths to "get high" is probably a myth.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 4:49 pm

The best protection against peer pressure is isolation.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.