Page 4 of 8 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,226
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

23 Jul 2015, 2:03 pm

ProfessorJohn wrote:
xenocity wrote:
Typically conservatives are very narrow minded in their beliefs and those beliefs are highly strict in upholding them.
Conservatives typically only associate with those who share their values and beliefs while actively avoiding/protesting those who are different.


How many liberals listen to both sides of the global warming debate? In fact, AlGore said to present both sides of it is biased. RFK jr. said that to deny that global warming exists is the same as treason. They are sure open minded, aren't they?


Conservatives could be saddled with the same criticism, as they adamantly refuse to listen to the other side, often denigrating science in general as false. One conservative former neighbor who I had become friendly with had insisted that talk of global warming was just a means of the left to take away everyone's freedom.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 May 2009
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,508
Location: x

23 Jul 2015, 2:09 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Janissy wrote:

I am guessing they did this because it's somewhat easier to measure the creativity in somebody talking about themselves. It's not that this is inherently more creative than writing fiction (it isn't). But asking them to write fiction would introduce the insurmountable confounder of not being able to tell who was writing a wholly original story and who was writing an altered version of something they recently read, watched or played. It's hard enough to be semi-objective with this sort of thing but if they introduced actual fiction into it, it would be hard to tell if they were judging the subject or judging the subject's favorite author.

There is also the danger that having the students write fiction would steer the judges towards judging quality/writing skill rather than pure creativity. This was meant to be a measure of creativity completely divorced from any measures of skill or talent. So these things may also have been chosen so as not to skew in favor of english majors taking a psych class over engineering majors taking a psych class.


Talking about yourself isn't a measure of creativity though but if they insist, just take a bunch of random photos then write essays that have no connection to anything in the photo. Then you'll win an award for being creative.


They did put some parameters around it otherwise they would have wound up reading a regurgitation of the 'about myself' essays students have to write for college application (and which they would have worked on probably only 1 year ago).

The parameters were that the photos couldn't be random. They had to answer the question "who are you?" visually. And the written part couldn't be unconnected to the photos. It had to be about "how the photos do and do not capture who you are". Counterintuitively, tight parameters do steer people towards greater creativity.



Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 May 2009
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,508
Location: x

23 Jul 2015, 2:14 pm

Jacoby wrote:
I don't think "creativity" is exclusive to any political ideology, professionals who make their living in the creative sphere live in the public domain and it serves them no benefit being outwardly politically conservative in the same way some are outwardly liberal. It would hurt their career so they either change what they believe to fit in and bite their tongue, simple as that.


I googled for examples and look what I found! :idea: I had no idea.

http://www.theroot.com/articles/politics/2010/10/most_hiphop_artists_are_politically_conservative.html

Quote:
My personal politics aside, the irony here is that mainstream hip-hop culture itself is overwhelmingly conservative by nature, a gangsta party that in more ways than one looks a lot like a Tea Party. What the commentators on both the right and the left fail to realize is that on many social and cultural issues that matter, the message coming out of hip-hop is decidedly right of center.


I don't listen to hip hop and so am unfamilar with it. Maybe this wouldn't be shocking to fans. But apparently liberals are thin on the ground in the world of hip hop.



Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 10 Dec 2007
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,367
Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

23 Jul 2015, 2:29 pm

I wouldn't say hip hop is politically conservative, culturally conservative in some sense but that's a reflection of the black community in this country. Guns are maybe the one issue you could argue since rappers will occasionally defend the 2nd Amendment such as Ice Cube, its absurd for a lot of black people in this country to buy into the idea that the police will protect them, their homes, and their families so naturally they have to take things into their own hands. Liberals don't live in these urban ghetto hellholes that poor people do, they don't live in our reality which is one where you can get robbed or killed just walking to the store and that could be from gangbangers or police. Taking guns away from law abiding citizens puts them at risk from those that don't follow the law.



Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 May 2009
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,508
Location: x

23 Jul 2015, 2:40 pm

Anecdotally, I am liberal but not at all creative. I routinely do badly at classic tests of creativity like 'what are 20 different uses for a paperclip?" (They didn't use the classics, probably thought the students had already done them and 'knew the answers'). This lack of creativity is actually a life hindrance since I have a hard time thinking of out-of-the-box solutions to problems after the inside-the-box solutions fail. But then again the researchers never said all liberals are more creative than all conservatives. Although you might think they did from the media articles which will give a one sentence disclaimer that it was 'not all'.

Here is an eye-rolling example .

http://www.glittersnipe.com/2012/12/18/left-brain-vs-right-brain-ted-nugent-is-as-good-as-it-gets-for-the-gop/

Quote:
Mind you, Dollinger’s findings have surprised pretty much no one, with the exception of Karl Rove, who I hear is preparing a live rebuttal to air on Fox News. (Okay, not really.) But then why should we be surprised that the conservative mindset is one wholly lacking in creativity or artistic inspiration? Let us consider, for a moment, the kind of world most conservatives would prefer to live in. First of all, it would be a world devoid of homosexuals, so you can kiss theater goodbye. Ditto for sculpture and commercial photography. It would also be an all-white world, which rules out decent music, and a world that prohibits women from entering the workforce, so literature and dance would be out the window, too. What’s left? You guessed it: Ted Nugent and Craig T. Nelson.
:roll: :roll:



Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Dec 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,074
Location: Dallas

23 Jul 2015, 3:16 pm

Jacoby wrote:
I wouldn't say hip hop is politically conservative, culturally conservative in some sense but that's a reflection of the black community in this country. Guns are maybe the one issue you could argue since rappers will occasionally defend the 2nd Amendment such as Ice Cube, its absurd for a lot of black people in this country to buy into the idea that the police will protect them, their homes, and their families so naturally they have to take things into their own hands. Liberals don't live in these urban ghetto hellholes that poor people do, they don't live in our reality which is one where you can get robbed or killed just walking to the store and that could be from gangbangers or police. Taking guns away from law abiding citizens puts them at risk from those that don't follow the law.
it's closer to being fiscally conservative(if you ignore the illegal acts being depicted) as such songs tend to push the ideal of chasing money and favoring the short term over the long term.



Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 10 Dec 2007
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,367
Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

23 Jul 2015, 3:25 pm

Fugu wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
I wouldn't say hip hop is politically conservative, culturally conservative in some sense but that's a reflection of the black community in this country. Guns are maybe the one issue you could argue since rappers will occasionally defend the 2nd Amendment such as Ice Cube, its absurd for a lot of black people in this country to buy into the idea that the police will protect them, their homes, and their families so naturally they have to take things into their own hands. Liberals don't live in these urban ghetto hellholes that poor people do, they don't live in our reality which is one where you can get robbed or killed just walking to the store and that could be from gangbangers or police. Taking guns away from law abiding citizens puts them at risk from those that don't follow the law.
it's closer to being fiscally conservative(if you ignore the illegal acts being depicted) as such songs tend to push the ideal of chasing money and favoring the short term over the long term.


Short term over long term is the opposite of fiscal conservatism FWIW, flaunting wealth is only a conservative value if your name is Donald Trump.



Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Dec 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,074
Location: Dallas

23 Jul 2015, 3:30 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Fugu wrote:
it's closer to being fiscally conservative(if you ignore the illegal acts being depicted) as such songs tend to push the ideal of chasing money and favoring the short term over the long term.


Short term over long term is the opposite of fiscal conservatism FWIW, flaunting wealth is only a conservative value if your name is Donald Trump.
In that case, why are most conservatives in government so shortsighted when it comes to money. Perhaps the tea party is right and they're all RINOs



Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 10 Dec 2007
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,367
Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

23 Jul 2015, 3:43 pm

Fugu wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
Fugu wrote:
it's closer to being fiscally conservative(if you ignore the illegal acts being depicted) as such songs tend to push the ideal of chasing money and favoring the short term over the long term.


Short term over long term is the opposite of fiscal conservatism FWIW, flaunting wealth is only a conservative value if your name is Donald Trump.
In that case, why are most conservatives in government so shortsighted when it comes to money. Perhaps the tea party is right and they're all RINOs


Most people in office are just opportunists, conservatives are conservative and liberals are liberal because that's what they need to identify as to get elected but voting public rarely ever scrutinizes their elected officials on their actual votes but just their rhetoric. Most so called conservatives and liberals who are elected are anything but. The whole political system is garbage and based on lies.



Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Dec 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,074
Location: Dallas

23 Jul 2015, 3:56 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Fugu wrote:
In that case, why are most conservatives in government so shortsighted when it comes to money. Perhaps the tea party is right and they're all RINOs


Most people in office are just opportunists, conservatives are conservative and liberals are liberal because that's what they need to identify as to get elected but voting public rarely ever scrutinizes their elected officials on their actual votes but just their rhetoric. Most so called conservatives and liberals who are elected are anything but. The whole political system is garbage and based on lies.
that's politics in a nutshell :/ partisanship could be done away with and there'd be no great loss.



ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 13,399

23 Jul 2015, 5:44 pm

Janissy wrote:
They did put some parameters around it otherwise they would have wound up reading a regurgitation of the 'about myself' essays students have to write for college application (and which they would have worked on probably only 1 year ago).

The parameters were that the photos couldn't be random. They had to answer the question "who are you?" visually. And the written part couldn't be unconnected to the photos. It had to be about "how the photos do and do not capture who you are". Counterintuitively, tight parameters do steer people towards greater creativity.


I get a pretentious vibe from that idea. As a matter of fact, I could take a picture of nearly anything and say it's not me. Same goes with saying it is. Anything can be interpreted in any way, even something as insignificant as a birthmark on a gnat or a spare leg on a roly poly, the latter would apply to the soul who feels like a third wheel.

Of course I would have a blast, now that I consider it, finding a series of freakish events or occurrences, exploring ways they apply to me so on second thought, maybe it wouldn't be too bad. It just made my flesh crawl a bit contemplating the seemingly endless parade of autobiographies and self descriptions. The totality of it, not just the ones I wrote.



Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Feb 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,295
Location: New Orleans

23 Jul 2015, 6:45 pm

Liberals get very creative when defining reality as something that is someone else's fault. Only they can see wrong and assign blame, which never falls on the best laid plans of mice and Liberals.

We know where it comes from, when a woman is caught red handed, she blames a male.

Since sex, religion, politics are not spoken of in public, people talk about the weather, so that is now a Liberal attack point. How dare you say it might rain!

On the climate debate, there is nothing to debate, the issue has been decided!

Liberals deny history, only slave riding bible whipping sheet wearers defend history.

Liberals have denied that the 1.2 Degree rise in the last 125 years starts from the year 1882, when Krakatoa lowered worldwide temperatures by several degrees.

Liberals deny that there was climate before the industrial era. That over the last few thousand years it has been much colder, and much warmer,

Liberals are totally creative in crafting illusions of oppression. When facts are brought up they will claim oppression.

Other points of view are not seen, just Racist, Sexist, Homophobe, Nazi, Klansmen, Old Testament, means of oppression.

Liberals want things to be like they think they want them to be, where in Science a Fact is or is not true. That is just so one sided, just like a man!

Conservatives can be creative, but they play by the rules of the game, and with the proper pieces and board.

Liberals are not limited by Reality.



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,226
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

23 Jul 2015, 6:57 pm

Inventor wrote:
Liberals get very creative when defining reality as something that is someone else's fault. Only they can see wrong and assign blame, which never falls on the best laid plans of mice and Liberals.

We know where it comes from, when a woman is caught red handed, she blames a male.

Since sex, religion, politics are not spoken of in public, people talk about the weather, so that is now a Liberal attack point. How dare you say it might rain!

On the climate debate, there is nothing to debate, the issue has been decided!

Liberals deny history, only slave riding bible whipping sheet wearers defend history.

Liberals have denied that the 1.2 Degree rise in the last 125 years starts from the year 1882, when Krakatoa lowered worldwide temperatures by several degrees.

Liberals deny that there was climate before the industrial era. That over the last few thousand years it has been much colder, and much warmer,

Liberals are totally creative in crafting illusions of oppression. When facts are brought up they will claim oppression.

Other points of view are not seen, just Racist, Sexist, Homophobe, Nazi, Klansmen, Old Testament, means of oppression.

Liberals want things to be like they think they want them to be, where in Science a Fact is or is not true. That is just so one sided, just like a man!

Conservatives can be creative, but they play by the rules of the game, and with the proper pieces and board.

Liberals are not limited by Reality.


Actually, it's conservatives who snicker at science, and who color history with a prejudicial eye. Case in point with history: recently, Yahoo News had run a story about how perceptions of Grant's Presidency has changed dramatically in recent times. In the 19th century, historians championing the "lost cause myth" attacked Grant for fighting for the rights of freed slaves during Reconstruction, as if that was somehow something terrible. Today, as we Americans - thanks to liberalism - have become more enlightened, we've come to realize that Grant in fact was entirely in the right, and that negative judgements of him have more to do with racism. After all, how can anyone find fault with a man who had driven the original KKK out of existence by force of law? So basically, liberals have a very good grasp on reality, because that reality is seen from the perspective of values like tolerance and justice.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


Moonshine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jul 2015
Posts: 223

26 Jul 2015, 4:16 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Actually, it's conservatives who snicker at science, and who color history with a prejudicial eye.? So basically, liberals have a very good grasp on reality, because that reality is seen from the perspective of values like tolerance and justice.


It amazes me that Nick Clegg gets referred to in a way us Brits know is not true. If you take on board some if not all of what he says, it really is just fiction. He also doesn't give a fig about climate change and rocks the truth sideways.

One minute he wants our borders open the next, he'll shut them right back up to one minute shake my pm's hand to next failing the manifesto and the SNP. What next? strip down energy bills if he gets back in?

I can't bicker much about politics in general anymore, they all seem to lose their status and people's trust eventually.


_________________
"My answer lies in the eighth wonder and not The Theory of Absolutely Everything"



"Women are made to be loved, not understood."



0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2007
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,262
Location: London

26 Jul 2015, 4:54 pm

I think these kinds of studies are really stupid and slanted.

There was a time when folk accepted that people had differing opinions in polities, but ordinary om were able to get on outside of that or at least be reasonably civil.

Now people are behaving like they are almost a different species. it is beyond ridiculous.

People should fight back against this nonsense.