Is committing war crimes in the name of religion justified?

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 9:40 pm

Is it justified to declare war in the name of religion as well as genocide stating that your religion forbids such people to exist because your god demands punishment upon those non believers? It seems that both Christianity and Islam particularly encourage this sort of behavior, ranging from the Holy crusades and the Jihads! Why is it ok to kill people who do not follow your religion? Is it because God demands you to or you will burn in hell? Where is this God where is the peace that God/Allah wants when there is nothing but hate and death from both sides?

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 9:57 pm

There are more verses in the New Testament about peace than about salvation. If ever you wanted to know the extent of how deeply conservatives will reject the core messages of Jesus Christ to serve their own political agendas, try reading any nutball manifesto using Christ as a justification for warfare and genocide. They make slightly less sense than most of AspieOtaku's anti-theist rants.

In short, no, genocide is never justified. I honestly don't know what kind of responses you were looking to get out of posting this question.

Last edited by Skibz888 on 29 Jul 2015, 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 9:59 pm

the old testament notwithstanding, genocide is never okay.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 10:02 pm

Quote:
the old testament notwithstanding, genocide is never okay.
There.

Fixed it for you.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 10:11 pm

I just want to know, why is this encouraged? Why do people follow it and take countless lives in the name of religion? I don't see as much in Hinduism or Buddism but in the Abrahamic sorts it is brutal. Puritans in early colonial America killing innocent native Americans who did not convert to their beliefs? Radical Muslims in the middle east killing Christians and Muslims not radical enough? Hatred of Jews? When will this all end? Why does killing someone who does not follow your beliefs seem ok? It does not seem ok in my book.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 10:15 pm

You might as well ask when racism or sexism will end. People intrinsically fear what's different. Some people take it further than fear. Welcome to the dark side of humanity.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 10:31 pm

Skibz888 wrote:
You might as well ask when racism or sexism will end. People intrinsically fear what's different. Some people take it further than fear. Welcome to the dark side of humanity.
But why does humanity have to be so dark? Are we not evolved enough to look forward and better the world and end the suffering and hate? Should we as humans put aside our differences in beliefs and focus together on the modern advancements that science, technology, and reasoning has provided us? What happened to the compassion and caring for one another? Apathy, Greed and Hate are bad both religious and non religious need to realize this but are brainwashed by Apathy, Greed and Hate.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 10:35 pm

Are you legitimately expecting an irrefutable answer to "why can't there be world peace?" on a forum dedicated to autism? Maybe you should join a philosophy forum?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 2:28 am

The Gospel promoted by the sword is not the Gospel.

-Martin Luther

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 3:37 am

In practical terms it's real simple: Right and wrong are determined by whoever's in power at the time.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 3:42 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
Skibz888 wrote:
But why does humanity have to be so dark? Are we not evolved enough to look forward and better the world and end the suffering and hate? Should we as humans put aside our differences in beliefs and focus together on the modern advancements that science, technology, and reasoning has provided us? What happened to the compassion and caring for one another? Apathy, Greed and Hate are bad both religious and non religious need to realize this but are brainwashed by Apathy, Greed and Hate.

What are you on?
The only peace (at least between humans) you can bank on is when you're the last person on the face of the earth. If there are two people the potential for conflict is there. It goes way up if there are three people. The only way to have something remotely resembling peace is to be constantly prepared for war.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 8:57 am

Justified according to what moral criteria? By definition, it is justified according to the religion promoting those actions. Its followers believe in earnest they're doing the right thing. That's why some are willing to blow themselves up for the cause.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 7:01 pm

Raptor wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
Skibz888 wrote:

What are you on?
The only peace (at least between humans) you can bank on is when you're the last person on the face of the earth. If there are two people the potential for conflict is there. It goes way up if there are three people. The only way to have something remotely resembling peace is to be constantly prepared for war.
So humans as a species to kill off its own species to extinction due to primitive beliefs? Humanity has failed me and I have lost faith in humanity.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 7:03 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
Justified according to what moral criteria? By definition, it is justified according to the religion promoting those actions. Its followers believe in earnest they're doing the right thing. That's why some are willing to blow themselves up for the cause.
Such a waste of lives that could be fullfilled to the fullest but wasted on beliefs!

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 7:07 pm

If religion encourages peace they need to stop war, they need to stop killing, raping, and enslaving people who do not believe, heathens, infidels, those who do not believe need to have a right to live as well. Stop killing people in the name of someone who you cannot see feel or prove he exists? Wake up dont kill people and if your god tells you to kill people dont do it same with raping or enslaving because if your god is real and loving he would not encourage it he is a lyer!

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 9:12 pm

If some invisible magical man told me to kill non believers I would question him because I have free will, If he is to smite me for doing so he may as well smite himself because he gave me free will and that is his mistake, if he was all powerful would he not be able to carry on the task himself? He should have the power to do so but does not wtf god? You claim to be loving but have hatred for those who do not believe in you, did you not sacrifice a human form of yourself to atone for those who have sinned? Why do you hate those who believe in other gods or do not believe in you at all? You seem to be desperate and insecure and wanting attention to feel important.

Last edited by AspieOtaku on 30 Jul 2015, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.