Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 8:28 pm

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/crime-law/four-confederate-flags-left-at-king-center-ebeneze/nm889/

Quote:
Atlanta police said surveillance footage shows two men placing Confederate battle flags at two of Atlanta’s most notable landmarks early Thursday: Ebenezer Baptist Church and Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historic Site.

So tell me, southerners, what message were they trying to send?

What part of your heritage does this glorify?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 8:56 pm

Heavens-to-Betsy!!
Four (4) Confederate flags placed by two (2) white guys?!?!

I can't possibly think of anything worse.

invaderhorizongreen
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 9:55 pm

I kinda wonder if this was intentionally done to provoke a reaction.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 10:08 pm

invaderhorizongreen wrote:

In the article, the terms "hate crime" and "terrorism" have already been tossed in.
By doing that and getting everyone all wrapped around the axle they're doing thier damnedest to give Dylann Roof what he wants.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 12:12 am

Raptor wrote:

In the article, the terms "hate crime" and "terrorism" have already been tossed in.
By doing that and getting everyone all wrapped around the axle they're doing thier damnedest to give Dylann Roof what he wants.

Roof wants a race war.

Maybe drawing out the extremists and getting them to make the mistake of an overt act that will land them in prison without a single shot fired isn't a race war?

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 12:44 am

Kinda the same thing as the people that take down the same flags on people's properties/cars and deface CSA monuments.

Both wrong, and both made of the same hateful cloth.

(With divisive things, it's nice to show both sides of the coin.)

Kiprobalhato
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 Jul 2015, 12:48 am

[moved from news and current events to PPR]

think they would have done it if it weren't for all the craze over banning it?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 1:04 am

blauSamstag wrote:
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/crime-law/four-confederate-flags-left-at-king-center-ebeneze/nm889/

Quote:
Atlanta police said surveillance footage shows two men placing Confederate battle flags at two of Atlanta’s most notable landmarks early Thursday: Ebenezer Baptist Church and Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historic Site.

How about their right to free expression? Have they publicly announced their intent or are you assuming the worst? Unless I see a Notarised statement from either of the two gentlemen, I'm going to assume their goal was to show solidarity in spite of the forces hell bent on driving a wedge between neighbours on purely ethnic grounds.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 3:01 am

blauSamstag wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Roof wants a race war.

Maybe drawing out the extremists and getting them to make the mistake of an overt act that will land them in prison without a single shot fired isn't a race war?

If by "overt act" you mean the flag incident I dont see anyone doing time over it. If they did it would be wrong. There was no vandalism or B&E reported, no assault, or even disturbing the peace. I don't even see a trespassing case that will hold water unless they jumped a fence or the church was posted "NO TRESPASSING" and most churches aren't. The person that saw it happen should have just picked the flags up and tossed them in a dumpster and left it at that.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 Jul 2015, 8:08 am

adifferentname wrote:

How about their right to free expression? Have they publicly announced their intent or are you assuming the worst? Unless I see a Notarised statement from either of the two gentlemen, I'm going to assume their goal was to show solidarity in spite of the forces hell bent on driving a wedge between neighbours on purely ethnic grounds.

In order to display solidarity, they decided to display a flag, widely seen as a simple of racist hatred, outside two historically black churches? Have I got that right?

Even if they personally have positive views of the flag, they must surely know that it has received bad press recently. If you are right about their intentions, these men are extremely naive.

If they merely wished to flex their right to free expression, there are many places they can do so. Choosing such spots tells you something.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 9:03 am

Coulda been worse.

Coulda been a burning cross.

Just juvenile political hooliganism in response to the recent rash of "Black Lives Matter" graffiti on the statues of Confederate personages- also political vandalism.

The perps must have been inspired by that thread that we had here on WP ( the one in which someone postulated a fictional hypothetical crime in which they "somehow painted the statue of MLK White"). Its pretty close to being a real version of that hypothetical!

Precisely because it fails to send a clear message its hard to say whether its a "hate crime". Maybe its a crime of speech impedimency.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 10:36 am

Again judging a whole culture based on a few asses.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 10:54 am

The_Walrus wrote:
adifferentname wrote:

In order to display solidarity, they decided to display a flag, widely seen as a simple of racist hatred, outside two historically black churches? Have I got that right?

Even if they personally have positive views of the flag, they must surely know that it has received bad press recently. If you are right about their intentions, these men are extremely naive.

Because we should just allow others to dictate what our symbols mean, what our labels mean and how we define ourselves, right? When you get bad press you should just bury your head in the sand and hope it'll go away. Apply some of these standards to progressive ideas and see if you still support them.

Quote:
If they merely wished to flex their right to free expression, there are many places they can do so. Choosing such spots tells you something.

False. Your own bias tells you to infer something. I shall choose to infer that they meant to express themselves to as wide an audience as possible, whatever their message, as a contrarian protest. I'm sure you consider yourself a skeptic, why are you rushing to believe the worst of people whose motives we cannot know for certain?

Take off the political blinkers, Walrus. You're part of the problem, not the solution.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2015, 1:32 pm

adifferentname wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:

Quote:

I rather think the purpose of leaving the flags at a church so historically associated with Dr. King was a clear message meant to drive the proverbial "wedge" between Americans for racial reasons. As that flag had been resurrected solely for the purpose of fighting the civil rights movement back in MLK's day, I can't see any other reason for why it had been left there for all to see.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2015, 1:40 pm

It seems so predictable, yet still tiresome, that there will always be people inclined to pull provocative stunts; and also others equally inclined to take the bait. :roll: