Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2015, 4:55 pm

A while ago I had to break up with my girlfriend. It's a long story but here is the short version: she came out as a Satanist and I had to break up with her so that my Christian family wouldn't get mad at me. I was hoping we could still be friends. Nope! She blocked me.

I think that this demonstrates the flaws in both Christianity and Satanism but Christian-bashing has been done to death so now I am going to talk about why Satanism is stupid.

I spoke to my GF about Satanism towards the end of our relationship. She said "Satanism is just about expressing yourself in a healthy way and not repressing yourself." I told her "That is allowed in atheism too." She said to me "... but I believe in Satan." She never gave me a good reason to believe in Satan.

I'll be blunt: Satan isn't real. I have never seen proof that this Satan guy is real. Yeah ... I like stories too. Who doesn't? I just know the difference between stories and reality.

I also asked her why she joined a religion named after a Christian character if she hates Christianity so much. She said that "People are always going to remember the horrors of Christianity after it has been defeated." I call BS on this one. Christianity destroyed Ancient Roman Polytheism and most people nowadays have only a tiny understanding of Ancient Roman values.

Overall, I think that most Satanists are just trying to shock people.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2015, 5:05 pm

They are both silly, but it depend on the person how innocuous their belief is.

To me if you wish to be secular an humanist, I don't really think there is much point of using the label satanist even if ti is symbolic. Each to their own I guess.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 2:29 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
I also asked her why she joined a religion named after a Christian character if she hates Christianity so much. She said that "People are always going to remember the horrors of Christianity after it has been defeated." I call BS on this one. Christianity destroyed Ancient Roman Polytheism and most people nowadays have only a tiny understanding of Ancient Roman values.

Although I have no interest in Satanism, I found this part to be incredibly dismissive, and your reasoning to be flawed. We still remember Rome to this day and, thanks to records, have a decent understanding of life in those times. Considering the improvements we've made regarding data storage over the last 2000 years, it's safe to say that the future death of a major world religion will be very well documented and understood.

What precisely is wrong with using shock to share your message with people?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 4:58 am

If someone broke up with me because I had different beliefs than their christian family...and they cared more about giving into that kind of intolerance to 'not make them mad' I probably would not want to be just friends even, either.

Maybe you're not aware of just how hurtful that is I mean put yourself in those shoes, how would you feel? Shows you care more about supporting your parents intolerance towards people with different beliefs/religions to make them happy than you do about her or even yourself. You would not have had to tell your parents she's a Satanist, not sure she would have went for that either but if it would have been problematic she may have been willing to keep it on the DL around your parents till you could move out...or are old enough? sorry not sure how old you are.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 9:04 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:

Generally speaking, Satanism is a repudiation of organised religion. As far as the shock factor is concerned, Antov Lavey was originally a Carnie, and shock has always been a marketing tactic for them.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 9:30 am

Satanism is a belief in the primacy of the Devil over God.

It's more than merely a "repudiation" of organized religion.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 12:45 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Satanism is a belief in the primacy of the Devil over God.

It's more than merely a "repudiation" of organized religion.

Not necessarily....and whilst its not true all satanism is a repudiation of organized religion, it is true of Anton Leveys branch of it.