Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 10:12 pm

Anachron wrote:
Only survivors suffer. Death is mercy.

Even though life can be really horrible at times, I still prefer it to complete oblivion, assuming this is what happens to us when we die and there is neither an afterlife nor reincarnation.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 11:49 pm

Lintar wrote:
Anachron wrote:

Even though life can be really horrible at times, I still prefer it to complete oblivion, assuming this is what happens to us when we die and there is neither an afterlife nor reincarnation.

is it possible to have a preference from within a state of complete oblivion?

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2015, 12:16 am

Skibz888 wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
That is how most athiest become athiests my friend.

Well...no. Not really, no. I mean, sure, it could certainly be a catalyst towards one deconstructing their conception of God, and I've read various perspectives on the topic through an atheistic context, but most atheist thought is derived from numerous sources: theological, humanistic, scientific...you, however, are obsessively focused on this one specific and very personal aspect.

Your posts don't have anything to do with atheism. Your posts are very specifically oriented towards you and your very specific resentment towards God for having "taken" someone close to you. It's only fair to call you "anti-theist", because your posts never touch upon any atheist concepts or discourse; in every one of your threads, you spend the most time focusing on this one singular aspect of your hatred of God at the expense of everything else, enough so that you write pages of rants as if you were directly speaking to Him, voicing your misgivings over how you feel He has wronged you. That's not atheism; atheists don't shake their fists at the sky and scream at God because they know there's nothing there to yell at. Your posts are nothing but you shaking your fists at the sky.

I notice that you didn't object to anything which was said about you over the last two pages, so forgive me if I'm to take that as an agreement. If you'd like, we can talk about it. Who was taken from you? How? Why do you feel God is responsible?

You need to back down, dude. Why do you keep coming at him like you are? He's the one that's going to have to sort out what he does and doesn't believe regarding God and what does it matter what he has put in his past posts? No one is being as argumentative in this thread as you are. Give him some room to breathe and collect his thoughts. He's grieving.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2015, 11:21 am

nurseangela wrote:
I question stuff all the time. I always wondered why God sent Jesus to die a painful death on the cross. Who made up that rule anyway? It just seems like one big game and we're the pieces down here. Then someone told me there are just some things we are not meant to know yet and that is one of them. With all the sickness and death I see, I question all the time why do people have to go through this stuff? Why can't they just check out in their sleep when their time is up? I have to believe in God otherwise I would go mad if this earth is all there is. Sometimes I think that this place is actually hell - it just can't be all there is. I believe God doesn't want us to be totally depressed here so that's where the animals and beautiful things like flowers and birds come into the picture. There's something miraculous in everything you look at - the seasons and weather, wind, rainbows. I was just thinking the other day how does a bird actually stay in the air - they're only flapping two wings? Take an anatomy and physiology class and you'll find out that the human body is miraculous - how everything works like a machine and if one DNA gets made wrong and your T cells don't stop it then cancer starts and destroys the whole machine. I'll never make sense of sickness. And why do we have to grow old? If all cells keep renewing themselves then why can't we stay young forever? I just have to believe that there is a bigger and better plan than what is right in front of me. I don't know how I'll keep believing in God either once my Ma is gone.

The hotter the fire, the truer the steel.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2015, 7:46 pm

D0gbert wrote:
Every time there is a new discovery, the fundamentalists make up something to continue justifying their status quo.

Well, they had ran out of excuses for a while, so not just some flowery version of the word "Magic!".

""God of the gaps" is a bad argument not only on logical grounds, but on empirical grounds: there is a long history of "gaps" being filled and the gap for God thus getting smaller and smaller, suggesting "we don't know yet" as an alternative that works better in practice."
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/God_of_the_gaps

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2015, 7:49 pm

nurseangela wrote:
Give him some room to breathe and collect his thoughts. He's grieving.

"True dat"...

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2015, 8:08 pm

Lintar wrote:
Anachron wrote:

Inherent/intrinsic/quintessential genetic coding at work...
Every single organism alive today had a "forebearer" which had an imperative to survive and procreate...
Most people are affected by this involuntary motivational factor presumably largely influenced by the reptilian brain ...

"It's 'preverbal', but controls life functions such as autonomic brain, breathing, heart rate and the fight or flight mechanism. Lacking language, its impulses are instinctual and ritualistic. It's concerned with fundamental needs such as survival, physical maintenance, hoarding, dominance, preening and mating. "
http://www.crystalinks.com/reptilianbrain.html

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 12:03 am

Sorry about all of this, I let my emotions get to me and take them out on something that is fictional and need to relize that life sucks at times because it just does and I am wasting my time using emotions on a fictional character and need to realise that people die even if it means my own friends and family. I could prey and such but it wont change a thing and I have wasted my time.There seems to be no god there is nothing but an eternal silence there seems to be no after life either just darkness so my prior posts seem to be moot since there is no place for my friend, I just need to harden up and try to live on before my time comes as another statistic, it is just much more different than replacing a lost pet by just getting another it is not the same in human situations right now at least to me and yes it hurts very much and this hurt sucks. I have been crying all week and where has this gotten me? I need to harden up and realize this happens and also know that I will never forget my friend.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 12:21 am

nurseangela wrote:
You need to back down, dude. Why do you keep coming at him like you are? He's the one that's going to have to sort out what he does and doesn't believe regarding God and what does it matter what he has put in his past posts? No one is being as argumentative in this thread as you are. Give him some room to breathe and collect his thoughts. He's grieving.

How am I being argumentative? I'm offering him a supportive ear in encouraging him to talk about what's bothering him rather than him continuing to spam the board with pointless threads and attacking others for what they believe. No matter what issues you have with him, provoking him doesn't do him any benefit, so if you don't have anything productive to contribute, leave him alone.

AspieOtaku wrote:
Sorry about all of this, I let my emotions get to me and take them out on something that is fictional and need to relize that life sucks at times because it just does and I am wasting my time using emotions on a fictional character and need to realise that people die even if it means my own friends and family. I could prey and such but it wont change a thing and I have wasted my time.There seems to be no god there is nothing but an eternal silence there seems to be no after life either just darkness so my prior posts seem to be moot since there is no place for my friend, I just need to harden up and try to live on before my time comes as another statistic, it is just much more different than replacing a lost pet by just getting another it is not the same in human situations right now at least to me and yes it hurts very much and this hurt sucks. I have been crying all week and where has this gotten me? I need to harden up and realize this happens and also know that I will never forget my friend.

You're not at fault for anything, so don't feel the need to apologize. I could tell your intent wasn't malicious in any of your posts; people just deal with their grief in many ways. Sometimes lashing out at others feels cathartic, but it's not a solution.

I'm truly sorry to hear about the loss of your friend and I hope your path to healing and perseverance is prosperous. I'm coming from a theistic perspective in regard to life and loss, so whether you want to hear that in that regard is entirely up to you, and my inbox is always open if you wanted to vent or anything.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 4:49 am

AspieOtaku wrote:

I'm sorry you're going through this Mr. A. What you're going through is normal so don't feel like you owe anyone an apology for anything. It's called the grieving process and everyone supposedly goes through the stages just not all the same way or in the same amount of time. You take as much time as you need to sort through your thoughts and feelings. I think the first year is the hardest because there are all the holidays and seasons you have to live through without the person (or animal) that used to be there with you. If you ever want to talk, let me know.

I absolutely hate death.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 5:16 am

AspieOtaku wrote:

No need to apologize, my friend.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 5:49 am

Misslizard wrote:

:)

For all we know, our whole Universe might be a computer simulation made as homework by a bored kid, who would then be our God.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 6:20 am

If only we'd stuck to paganism, at least with it the existence of evil didn't need explaining.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 6:29 am

But we didn't. Monotheistic religions by and large won at memetic selection.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 7:26 am

AspieOtaku wrote:

{{{{{hugs}}}}}

You shoulda taken this to the Haven, and not to the PPR.

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 8:03 am

Quote:

The anger and tears are all part of grieving. Please do not feel the need to block or stop these things. They are the first part of healing. You have support here from friends who are atheists and believers.