Why do so many of my people believe in God?

Page 5 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 15,436
Location: Australia

21 Aug 2015, 5:04 am

Lintar wrote:
Nambo wrote:
I would say the primitive mind believes in God, then the superior mind learns all the things others tell it to believe and so it no longer believes in God and feels superior than the primitive mind that believes without thinking.
Next comes the very superior mind that can think for itself and can contemplate and consider the claimed logic of others, this mind tends to believe in God again.
That's why there are so many here, Aspies are intelligent who don't just absorb somebody else's intellect but prefer to use their own.


Are you serious?


No...
His name is Nambo...

This is Yahoo Serious:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahoo_Serious


_________________
Laughter is the best medicine. Age-appropriate behaviour is an arbitrary NT social construct.
Don't tell me white lies. Gaslight me at your peril. Don't give me your bad attitude. Hypnosis, psychosis. Tomarto, tomayto. There are *4* lights. Honey badger.
If I'm so bad, pass me by. ;)


And one more thing,


"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet." Humour is not meant to be taken seriously, yet many on the left pervert its intent.
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)


I luv Joe Biden! Democracy first!


glebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2015
Age: 59
Posts: 1,665
Location: Mountains of Southern California

21 Aug 2015, 11:53 am

Nambo wrote:
I would say the primitive mind believes in God, then the superior mind learns all the things others tell it to believe and so it no longer believes in God and feels superior than the primitive mind that believes without thinking.
Next comes the very superior mind that can think for itself and can contemplate and consider the claimed logic of others, this mind tends to believe in God again.
Thats why there are so many here, Aspies are intelligent who don't just absorb somebody elses intellect but prefer to use their own.

As far as the second stage of mental evolution that you describe goes, people use inductive reasoning ( I have a preconceived idea, and I will go out and find the "proofs" that supports it and ignore anything which doesn't support it ). In the third stage, one uses deductive reasoning, and takes a good, hard look at the evidence. Both Christians and atheists can be guilty of using inductive reasoning. For myself, while I was raised a Protestant, I left the Church as a young adult, and have since come back after the death of my wife. What led me back was deductive reasoning. The Big Bang Theory doesn't stand up to the First Law of Thermodynamics; The theory of evolution is based on ancient, obsolete 'science'; and, the scientists a few years ago decided that they couldn't account for the gravitational mass of the universe, so they 'invented' "Dark Matter " to explain why their previous theories were flawed. Sounds to me like the Fingerprint of God.


_________________
When everyone is losing their heads except you, maybe you don't understand the situation.


Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 15,436
Location: Australia

21 Aug 2015, 6:50 pm

glebel wrote:
As far as the second stage of mental evolution that you describe goes, people use inductive reasoning ( I have a preconceived idea, and I will go out and find the "proofs" that supports it and ignore anything which doesn't support it ).


Confirmation bias:
"Confirmation bias, also called myside bias, is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's beliefs or hypotheses.[Note 1][1] It is a type of cognitive bias and a systematic error of inductive reasoning. "
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Quote:
...the scientists a few years ago decided that they couldn't account for the gravitational mass of the universe, so they 'invented' "Dark Matter " to explain why their previous theories were flawed.


I am sure it didn't work that way...
True science is objective and dispassionate...
A true scientist is focused on the truth, whatever it is, rather than self aggrandisement...
Remember, there are many who enjoy the debunking of BS...
It was probably more the case that there was an anomaly which was addressed after considerable vexation...

I might do some inductive reasoning to find out... :mrgreen:

"Ill be back..." with the guff...
...If my confirmation bias allows... ;)


_________________
Laughter is the best medicine. Age-appropriate behaviour is an arbitrary NT social construct.
Don't tell me white lies. Gaslight me at your peril. Don't give me your bad attitude. Hypnosis, psychosis. Tomarto, tomayto. There are *4* lights. Honey badger.
If I'm so bad, pass me by. ;)


And one more thing,


"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet." Humour is not meant to be taken seriously, yet many on the left pervert its intent.
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)


I luv Joe Biden! Democracy first!


Last edited by Pepe on 21 Aug 2015, 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jun 2015
Age: 18
Posts: 1,046
Location: Southern Ontario

21 Aug 2015, 6:53 pm

Because they want to believe when they die they still live in a different place.

God just isn't logical. That is why I am a nonthiest.


_________________
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on with prime numbers."

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider


beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Dec 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,789
Location: nj

21 Aug 2015, 7:13 pm

Seraphi_Grigori wrote:
Sorry, im new to this site and im not trying to offend any one. I dont define myself by my race, religion (obviously), region, country, or anything like that. I might be a white male in my mid 20s but im sure i have more in commen with a 50 year old black female aspie than any normal white males my age. So because of this, aspies are the only group that i consider myself a part of. And i have pride in us, and i the only time i ever feel offended in any way is when i hear of an aspie being mistreated or looked down upon like a psycopath or a cripple. We are one of the few groups of people that actually have a valid right to feel pride. We might be lesser in some ways but we are greater in many other ways that i would argue are more important.

So my question is this. Why is it that with our superior minds and above average logic, so many of my fellow aspies believe in a higher power? Im just trying to understand why they would reject logic so extemely in this one circumstance, when reality is so much clearer to us. I am seriously curious. Not trying to offend any one though, sorry if i did.


In my opinion, it illogical to disbelieve God. From any of the things I've looked into, the prevailing theories of creation do not make much sense either. I believe alot of people disbelieve God because there is a lot of pressure to. Who WANTS to live a self-sacrificial lifestyle? Who WANTS to deny themselves pleasures? Who WANTS to feel as though they have no input on anything? Academia ridicules those of any faith, in particular the Christian faith. Many in the scientific community have been essentially blackballed for their faith. There is actually quite a few credible scientific organizations that claim they have proven many derided Biblical claims scientifically.

Alot of this discussion can be boiled down to one question- What exactly IS proof? We call something "proven" because some university study says so, but should we? How often does anyone check these studies, validate if they were ever even done, checked the qualifications of those performing them, and scrutinized the methods? If you have, it's probably only because you want to personally disbelieve the conclusions. But if it's reported that some Harvard study says this and that, we call often accept that as proof. To me this is clearly foolish and borderline outright stupid. We call current event things proof when it's reported by some "credible" news agency. But who decides that? We are quick to question God's existence, however we often blindly accept our (humans) own creations such as the media, government and education systems. Even our own eyes deceive us. Constantly.

It's all faith. People who live by the ever-changing book of science have decided that's where they will put their faith. Those who live by some holy book or books, have put their faith in that. And the craziest part is none of will definitively know until we are dead.

For the record, I believe in God. God as in the Biblical God, Christ etc. However I am not a Christian. While I believe in God I don't believe all of what the Bible says about Him. I actually believe God to be quite cruel in reality. I do not believe God is a loving God. Not any more.



Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jun 2011
Age: 1023
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,820
Location: Возможно в будущее к Россию идти... можеть быть...

22 Aug 2015, 3:49 am

God is the most-deceptive phenomenon ever to exist since the identity of the Anti-Christ is none other than the Dark-Side of God itself ! The belief that God is All-Love or Only Loving is most-certainly a False-Belief.

beakybird wrote:
For the record, I believe in God. God as in the Biblical God, Christ etc. However I am not a Christian. While I believe in God I don't believe all of what the Bible says about Him. I actually believe God to be quite cruel in reality. I do not believe God is a loving God. Not any more.

I now quote some writings from The Messiah (the real one of course)...
On the other 'hand' stands God the Destructive superpower that Commands all 'followers' to:

"Control & regulate others in order to avoid 'chaos' and maintain order and, - - - as you do this you are permitted by ME to interfere into their daily business and to disturb their peace and, - - - you can raise up 'rules' that permit you to extort money & punish any that defy the rules that I give you and, - - -

you may be merciless in your 'inquisitions' against those that offend you or defy the rules that are your 'commandments' to them and, - - - you may be unkind to others and seek retribution from them under your legal system in defiance of the 'other' God, and you are to punish those that offend you and, - - -

what I have 'hidden' from you is that I too have one LAW that is 'just' and true; 'As you do is done unto you,' thus as you are to ME true, I return to you an equal negative 'retribution' for all 'evil' done by you as MY outpouring true. Yea verily I will 'flay' you alive."


All believing in this God are the 'Command' in action in their daily living. They thus believe that others that do not comply with the authority of the above Commandment 'Rule' must be treated with 'Disrespect, merciless persecution, and be punished.

This Dark religion is the 'Religion of spiritual DEATH.'
Those that fund or support or condone and 'live' this religion attain Hell.

The Institutional 'belief' of all Governments on earth is that their belief system takes precedence over any other belief system, and this belief system is 'reinforced' by rules enacted to give them their force of arms 'superiority,' and they then force compliance to said rules by fine and punishment backed by this force.

Therefore the Institutions of man are 'religious' Institutions following and living the 'Religion of the DARK.' It follows that as the Institution is 'living' a 'dark' religious belief, that it is in fact a religious 'order' that has named itself "The government of - - - ," who are in fact 'judging' all men under the 'Sheria' Law of the belief of their religion.


_________________
Pay me for my signature. 私の署名ですか❓お前の買うなければなりません。Mon autographe nécessite un paiement. Которые хочет мою автографу, у тебя нужно есть деньги сюда. Bezahlst du mich, wenn du meine Unterschrift wollen.


Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 15,436
Location: Australia

22 Aug 2015, 4:54 am

Ban-Dodger wrote:
The belief that God is All-Love or Only Loving is most-certainly a False-Belief.

Anyone who has read the old testament would know that he/she is a vengeful god...
But the modern theists conveniently forgets that inconvenient truth... :mrgreen:


_________________
Laughter is the best medicine. Age-appropriate behaviour is an arbitrary NT social construct.
Don't tell me white lies. Gaslight me at your peril. Don't give me your bad attitude. Hypnosis, psychosis. Tomarto, tomayto. There are *4* lights. Honey badger.
If I'm so bad, pass me by. ;)


And one more thing,


"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet." Humour is not meant to be taken seriously, yet many on the left pervert its intent.
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)


I luv Joe Biden! Democracy first!


trayder
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 15 Aug 2015
Age: 1945
Posts: 280
Location: New Zealand

22 Aug 2015, 5:45 am

A being that subjects you to the facets of time constrained existence....purpose, meaning, good and bad, cause and effect and judges you accordingly, is as much a function of time constrained consciousness as are humans and therefore cannot be omnipotent. A being at once constrained yet unconstrained, good yet bad, in time and not of time, evil and good...this is the likeliest nature of omnipotence. Pure dispassion.

The gods of our subjective minds certainly do not fall into this category.



ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Feb 2007
Age: 61
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,980
Location: Santa Cruz , CA , USA

22 Aug 2015, 6:08 pm

beakybird wrote:
Seraphi_Grigori wrote:
Sorry, im new to this site and im not trying to offend any one. I dont define myself by my race, religion (obviously), region, country, or anything like that. I might be a white male in my mid 20s but im sure i have more in commen with a 50 year old black female aspie than any normal white males my age. So because of this, aspies are the only group that i consider myself a part of. And i have pride in us, and i the only time i ever feel offended in any way is when i hear of an aspie being mistreated or looked down upon like a psycopath or a cripple. We are one of the few groups of people that actually have a valid right to feel pride. We might be lesser in some ways but we are greater in many other ways that i would argue are more important.

So my question is this. Why is it that with our superior minds and above average logic, so many of my fellow aspies believe in a higher power? Im just trying to understand why they would reject logic so extemely in this one circumstance, when reality is so much clearer to us. I am seriously curious. Not trying to offend any one though, sorry if i did.


In my opinion, it illogical to disbelieve God. From any of the things I've looked into, the prevailing theories of creation do not make much sense either. I believe alot of people disbelieve God because there is a lot of pressure to. Who WANTS to live a self-sacrificial lifestyle? Who WANTS to deny themselves pleasures? Who WANTS to feel as though they have no input on anything? Academia ridicules those of any faith, in particular the Christian faith. Many in the scientific community have been essentially blackballed for their faith. There is actually quite a few credible scientific organizations that claim they have proven many derided Biblical claims scientifically.

Alot of this discussion can be boiled down to one question- What exactly IS proof? We call something "proven" because some university study says so, but should we? How often does anyone check these studies, validate if they were ever even done, checked the qualifications of those performing them, and scrutinized the methods? If you have, it's probably only because you want to personally disbelieve the conclusions. But if it's reported that some Harvard study says this and that, we call often accept that as proof. To me this is clearly foolish and borderline outright stupid. We call current event things proof when it's reported by some "credible" news agency. But who decides that? We are quick to question God's existence, however we often blindly accept our (humans) own creations such as the media, government and educat





For the record, I believe in God. God as in the Biblical God, Christ etc. However I am not a Christian. While I believe in God I don't believe all of what the Bible says about Him. I actually believe God to be quite cruel in reality. I do not believe God is a loving God. Not any more.
...
I guess - at least in part - that last part sums up something that could get me in the pews regularly , even as I also WANT TO " praise the Lord " ~ Wanting a Halllmark Channel type of scenario ?



Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jun 2015
Age: 18
Posts: 1,046
Location: Southern Ontario

24 Feb 2016, 7:04 pm

Fnord wrote:

3) Because we have someone to talk to when no one else will listen.



You could talk to an invisible magic man in the sky, but unless you are schizophrenic or under the influence of some sort of hallucination inducing drug, the conversation will be one-sided.

Fnord wrote:
4) Because "God did it" fills in the gaps that have not yet been explained by Bill Nye, the Science Guy.


Sometimes "God did it" isn't satisfying. When confronted with the question "who creating the universe?" creationists typically bring up the ontological argument. Saying "god did it" is circular logic. Who created god then? If the answer is another creator, this continues ad infinitum.

Fnord wrote:
6) Because believing that the only reason we're still alive is that no one has yet decided to kill us is depressing.


It may be depressing but truth is true regardless of how you feel.


I think that if people were more open-minded then the population would consist largely of atheists. People just don't seem to be willing to move past their religious dogma and be open to scientific things that may contradict parts of their faith.


_________________
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on with prime numbers."

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,451
Location: temperate zone

25 Feb 2016, 5:54 am

Seraphi_Grigori wrote:
Sorry, im new to this site and im not trying to offend any one. I dont define myself by my race, religion (obviously), region, country, or anything like that. I might be a white male in my mid 20s but im sure i have more in commen with a 50 year old black female aspie than any normal white males my age. So because of this, aspies are the only group that i consider myself a part of. And i have pride in us, and i the only time i ever feel offended in any way is when i hear of an aspie being mistreated or looked down upon like a psycopath or a cripple. We are one of the few groups of people that actually have a valid right to feel pride. We might be lesser in some ways but we are greater in many other ways that i would argue are more important.

So my question is this. Why is it that with our superior minds and above average logic, so many of my fellow aspies believe in a higher power? Im just trying to understand why they would reject logic so extemely in this one circumstance, when reality is so much clearer to us. I am seriously curious. Not trying to offend any one though, sorry if i did.


The question is not "why do humans believe in God?".

It seems to be "why do so many aspies believe in God?"

Well...the religious aspies who visit the PPR all claim that they are a minority here on WP. So according to them very few aspies DO believe in God. Or fewer per capita than the NT population. So apparently the question is moot.



Seraphi_Grigori
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Posts: 26
Location: 38464

10 Aug 2016, 10:25 am

Please forgive the fact that I have not yet returned to this thread that I created. A lot happened after I made it, and I basically forgot. Recently I guess, this site updated and sent me an email that made me remember it again and I decided to see if any one every replied to my post. I was surprised to find 5 pages, and enjoyed reading all of them, although some of the longer ones with less valid points may have been mostly skimmed through.

Let me start with the last reply, above this one. This person mentioned that my question was moot since most Aspies don't believe in god any way. But when I asked "Why do so many aspies believe in god", I was not suggesting that MOST of them do. I was basically asking "Why do any?". This is because, again, I identify myself strongly as a member of this group. When talking to another aspie, I see many similarities to my own mind that I do not tend to find elsewhere. Because of this, I may be projecting somewhat when I refer to aspies in general as having a "superior mind", since my mind is, in my opinion (and according to evidence that I am presented with on a daily basis), superior to the vast majority. I'm sorry for how obnoxious that obviously sounds, but I feel comfortable being blunt here. Any way, because of that, when I see a similarity between my way of thinking and some one else's, I can't help but think "that person has the same potential as me".

This also causes me to see some one who is like me in many different ways, but believes in god, and ask myself "What led them to deviate from the path of reason in such a way?" That is because, the many reasons for not believing in god have always been obvious to me. Many of these points were outlined by a link that was posted early in the replies which I enjoyed reading.

After reading most of what was said, I have found that the responses were much better than I ever expected. Yes, some one called me out on certain BS. Yes, there were some ignorant reasons that I found unhelpful such as "I believe because it isn't illegal and you cant stop me." Or "Science hasn't proven us wrong yet so god must exist." But for the most part, this gave me exactly the window that I wanted into the logic of people with similar mindsets to myself and who have taken this deviation. One particular response seems to be the acknowledgement that it is a non-logical and emotionally based opinion, because well, emotions exist. I was happy to read this, because saying that you have no valid logic that supports a belief in god but instead choose to do it purely from emotion and desire shows me how intact that persons ability to understand logic and reason actually is, despite believing in god.

All in all, I am glad that I made this post, and glad that I returned to read what every one wrote. I am sorry that I did not reply sooner, but on the other hand I am glad that I got to see the response of multiple people without my interference. I very strongly wanted to reply to many peoples comments while reading them, but if I had been here to do that I would have certainly changed the course of the conversation. Although I'm sure this thread died a long time ago, I can't help but hope that some of the people who replied to me have the chance to read this and know my appreciation. You're words have not fallen on def ears my friends, thank you for helping to further my understanding.