Page 3 of 9 [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 7:44 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Humanaut wrote:
You don't think voluntary donations would suffice?
Only in a libertarian fantasy world.

It would, of course, be impossible to run a welfare state on voluntary donations.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 9:03 pm

Humanaut wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Humanaut wrote:
You don't think voluntary donations would suffice?
Only in a libertarian fantasy world.

It would, of course, be impossible to run a welfare state on voluntary donations.

Or any state that actually works, as a matter of fact.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 9:11 pm

Involuntarism rules.

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 9:20 pm

ZenDen wrote:
I used to think churches should not pay taxes, per our original founding father's ideas. It seemed like a good idea: The government wouldn't try to involve themselves with religion and religion would be separate from government. A mutual "hands off" policy.

But for a while now I've thought religions should pay taxes like everyone else. This because of church's/religion's insistence in involving themselves in politics at all levels. It completely ruins the "separation of church and state" idea and allows church participation in secular government while reserving all church matters to only church officials and church laws.

I believe, if they insist on meddling in secular matters, they should pay taxes, just like the rest of us mere mortals.

I agree with you, but if you really think about it, paying federal taxes isn't even constitutional.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 10:02 pm

Humanaut wrote:
Involuntarism rules.

Realistically, that's the only way government gets anything done.

luan78zao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Sep 2015, 11:12 pm

Four pages and nobody's mentioned the "Church" of Scientology?

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission – which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 11:17 pm

luan78zao wrote:
Four pages and nobody's mentioned the "Church" of Scientology?

Those mother f'ers definitely should be taxed.

luan78zao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Sep 2015, 11:31 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Why?

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission – which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 11:54 pm

visagrunt wrote:
This is all very uncritical.

What taxes are we talking about? Income taxes, property taxes or consumption taxes?

On income, congregations are, typcially, not-for-profit corporations and registered charities. Why should one kind of not-for-profit organization pay tax on it's operating surplus, while the rest do not? Religious organizations should be treated no differently than schools, libraries, community centres, museums and all the other non-profit organizations out there.

On consumption, religious organizations DO pay tax in most jurisdictions. If you pay for goods or services, then sales taxes are added on whether you are a private individual, a non-profit or a business corporation.

Only in the area of property do I see a disconnect. It should be patently clear that buildings owned by congregations but used for secular purposes (e.g. schools, hospitals, shelters and the like) do not qualify for a religious exemption from tax. Clergy residences are in a gray area, but typically would not qualify either (at least in this country). Purely religious structures, such as churches, mosques, synagogues and missions normally would. I really see no reason why this should be, but the actual impact on municipal revenue is likely negligible.

charities don't pay sales tax in pennsylvania. churches around here preach about whom to vote for, so the IRS should crack down and make 'em pay.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2015, 12:23 am

slave wrote:
I don't know about every country in the world, but I know that it is common for churches to not pay taxes.
How do you regard this issue?

I'm strongly in favor of requiring all property owners to pay property taxes on their property and that includes churches.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2015, 12:27 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Humanaut wrote:
Involuntarism rules.

I suspect idealism and realism are repelling forces.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2015, 12:39 am

Humanaut wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Humanaut wrote:
Involuntarism rules.

I suspect idealism and realism are repelling forces.

Too often they are.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2015, 12:41 am

luan78zao wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Why?

Because they're a phony religion rolling in dough by taking advantage of people. Same reason why I think mega church faith healers ought to be taxed.

luan78zao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Sep 2015, 12:53 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Because they're a phony religion rolling in dough by taking advantage of people. Same reason why I think mega church faith healers ought to be taxed.

So the IRS should be empowered to distinguish between "phony" and "authentic" religions? What would be the objective criteria differentiating the two?

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2015, 12:59 am

luan78zao wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

So the IRS should be empowered to distinguish between "phony" and "authentic" religions? What would be the objective criteria differentiating the two?

rather than phony and authentic, perhaps can be differentiated by the wealth of their higher ups. those with private jets and housing compounds may not really be "non-profit."

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2015, 1:11 am

luan78zao wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

No, it just gives me a certain satisfaction that people who use religion to exploit people get what's coming.